U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
 
2,377 posts, read 4,991,954 times
Reputation: 1699

Advertisements

Does anyone know about the "Pied-Noir" ? Also called "Black Feet"...They were French settlers who went to Algeria when it was a French Colony to farm. After it was given up by the French, quite a few returned to France, a place later generations had never even seen. They were not exactly welcomed in France and were considered "foreigners" and as competing for jobs. I am wondering if there are any books on them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
 
13,510 posts, read 15,372,392 times
Reputation: 37885
I was working as a copy boy for a newspaper in 60-61 when the situation came to a boil. As I remember the Pieds-Noirs were not just French, but included a substantial amount of people of Italian and Spanish origin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 11:11 AM
 
2,377 posts, read 4,991,954 times
Reputation: 1699
The girl I know was born in France, but her parents and grandparents and beyond were "Black Feet" and she still calls herself that (she is mid 30's) Is there still discrimination against them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Aloverton
6,564 posts, read 12,905,447 times
Reputation: 10072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Does anyone know about the "Pied-Noir" ? Also called "Black Feet"...They were French settlers who went to Algeria when it was a French Colony to farm. After it was given up by the French, quite a few returned to France, a place later generations had never even seen. They were not exactly welcomed in France and were considered "foreigners" and as competing for jobs. I am wondering if there are any books on them.
They come up a lot in Simon Murray's Legionnaire, his fairly famous autobio about his days with the Legion during the Algerian War of Independence. Excellent reading even without that specific connection, as Murray does a very entertaining job. What Murray makes clear is that a lot of Legion officers sympathized with the pieds-noirs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM
 
156 posts, read 217,689 times
Reputation: 72
Pied Noirs were French settlers in Algeria. They live in Marseilles, South France, around Perpignan and in Alicante, Spain. Pied Noirs are a hard working and god fearing people back stabbed by a pompous and dictatorial petit maître called De Gaulle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM
 
12,688 posts, read 18,418,076 times
Reputation: 6627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Pied Noirs were French settlers in Algeria. They live in Marseilles, South France, around Perpignan and in Alicante, Spain. Pied Noirs are a hard working and god fearing people back stabbed by a pompous and dictatorial petit maître called De Gaulle.

Algeria! Algeria Francais!

Well, maybe not.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,051 posts, read 31,572,031 times
Reputation: 10518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Pied Noirs were French settlers in Algeria. They live in Marseilles, South France, around Perpignan and in Alicante, Spain. Pied Noirs are a hard working and god fearing people back stabbed by a pompous and dictatorial petit maître called De Gaulle.
Of course, had the Algerian war never taken place, it would have remained a French possession and never (even in light of all the other colonial states in Africa doing the same) achieved independence. Naturally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 07:30 PM
 
2,377 posts, read 4,991,954 times
Reputation: 1699
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
They come up a lot in Simon Murray's Legionnaire, his fairly famous autobio about his days with the Legion during the Algerian War of Independence. Excellent reading even without that specific connection, as Murray does a very entertaining job. What Murray makes clear is that a lot of Legion officers sympathized with the pieds-noirs.
Thanks I will definitely get this book. It's important for me to know more about this era.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 AM
 
Location: where the moss is taking over the villages
2,178 posts, read 5,033,615 times
Reputation: 1242
Here are some links with a tiny bit of info:
http://lexicorient.com/e.o/pied-noir.htm
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Pied-noir
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 16,900,865 times
Reputation: 10052
This sort of reminds me of a group of people mostly residing in Appalachia that refer to themselves as "Melungeons." There is some question as to the origins of these people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top