Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:33 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times

Advertisements

What do you make of this?

YouTube - Black Confederate

Old 10-10-2009, 05:52 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default Agent provocateur

I don't know the purpose of the poster but let me try to be serious about this. I come from Finland, which during my growing up years was so homogeneous that eye and hair color marked the greatest differences among its five million people. No blacks lived in Finland those days. There were 1,500Jews and a like number of Muslims, each group having moved there between 1807 and 1917 when Finland was a Russian Grand Duchy.
In 1917, Finland fought a civil war between whites, supported by Germany, and reds, who wanted a Soviet system. I cannot imagine how anyone in Finland would stage battle re-enactments which in America occur every weekend and have a cult of followers that numbers in thousands. It probably would produce a riot in a country where riots don't occur.
The racial aspect of the Civil War in the U.S. makes things complicated. Historians argue about the nature of slavery. Alongside whites, black slaveowners existed. Blacks fought on the Confederate side, some undoubtedly believing in the Lost Cause.
All kinds of oddities occur in the United States; it's a big country. That's how I categorize the clip.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:22 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,013 times
Are you telling me their are no reenactment groups based around the Winter War? I found 2 groups and I know for a fact their are more as I have come across their websites in my rank insignia/uniform research:

KevOs4 Finnish Reenactor Group Site Map
Finnish Winter War Re-enactors

Finland should be proud, they fought the Soviets to a standstill. 340,000 vs over 1,000,000. Marshal Mannerheim was a hell of a commander. The exploits of the Finnish Army Sissi troops are legendary. I believe that in recent years they have hosted training sessions for our military to teach winter warfare tactics (unlike the Finnish Army and the other Scandinavian, Baltic, and northern European armies we don't have ski troops/mountain infantry - the 10th Mountain Division never changed their name for espirt de corps reasons, they are entirely conventional infantry same as any other infantry division in the US Army).

Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Reenactors are childish screwballs who never got over playing cowboys and Indians. Of course most have to rationalize their hobby as "keeping history alive" and "honoring the real guys" and other such nonsense rather than just being straightforward and admitting they like playing at kid's games.

It's really odd when these jokers appoint themselves "honor guards" at serious events such as the reburials of soldiers recently found on battlefields.

If you really want to get one of these guys going call his costume a "costume", oh man, that really gets them torqued up.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
WIHS2006 -- I was referring specifically to Finland's civil war. Because it is essence was a fight between whites and communists, it continues to be a touchy subject.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 PM

294 posts, read 412,455 times
yes blacks fought for the south as well as american indians. Union soldiers were also known to shot black pow's.Civil war was more than just slavery. The CSA fought againist what they saw as a fed govt. abusing it's limited power

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
What reasons did Blacks have for fighting for the Confederates? Did the confederate states promise to end slavery if they won?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
yes blacks fought for the south as well as american indians. Union soldiers were also known to shot black pow's.Civil war was more than just slavery. The CSA fought againist what they saw as a fed govt. abusing it's limited power
Yes the civil war was about more than slavery, but without slavery it never would have occured.
About like saying because a candle has a wick its not made of wax.

It's over,they lost.get over it.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
.Civil war was more than just slavery.
The Civil War is a very misinterpreted part of American History. Slavery wasn't an issue until later in the war. This came about in order to keep France,who was anti-slavery, to stop helping the southern states in their plight to free themselves from northern TAX control.

Quote:
T[SIZE=3]he South attempted a peaceful secession from federal control, an ambition no different from the original American plea for independence from Britain.[/SIZE]
Genesis of the Civil War

Therefore, many southern soldiers were indeed black slaves who were fighting for the only life they knew.

I certainly think in the end that the emancipation of slaves was the best outcome of a very ugly war.....but the war itself didn't start and wasn't fought on a slavery issue.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM

294 posts, read 412,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Yes the civil war was about more than slavery, but without slavery it never would have occured.
About like saying because a candle has a wick its not made of wax.

It's over,they lost.get over it.
what are you talking about. get over what. I wasn't in the civil war .(Mod Cut)

Last edited by Thyra; 10-11-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: We don't tell people "to go to another forum"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History