Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Jeffrey Kolowith's kindergarten students read a poem about Christopher Columbus, take a journey to the New World on three paper ships and place the explorer's picture on a timeline through history.

Kolowith's students learn about the explorer's significance—though they also come away with a more nuanced picture of Columbus than the noble discoverer often portrayed in pop culture and legend.

A darker side of Columbus emerges in US classrooms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Deconstructionism in regards to the "Privileged" White Male alive and well -- thanks Frankfurt School.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:23 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
I thought everyone already knew he was an inglorious, murdering pirate?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
I think the "problem" comes from the fact that he has been presented as something akin to a plaster saint in American schools. And perhaps this is because Americans when creating a national myth started the story with Columbus, who consequently had to be all-good like Geo. Washington, etc. etc. Totally unrealistic, but it is the kind of stuff that most nations indoctrinate their young with in school.

Certainly Europeans have long seen him as one of many explorers, and they were all men of varying characters and motives. Seeing that the man was human, and thus flawed is not the same a making a monster out of him.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
In the U.S Classrooms, they are deforming Columbus' image and legacy to suit political and PC agendas.
I find that stupid. How can you judge history according to today's political agendas?
Colombus was no saint, he was very ambitious, dictatorial, a embezzler and a mercenary, but they are judging him for "the holocausts of Indians" or typical PC B.S he was not guilty for.
Problem with public education is that politicians play with our childrens.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 10-12-2009 at 04:27 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 AM

486 posts, read 1,034,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think the "problem" comes from the fact that he has been presented as something akin to a plaster saint in American schools. And perhaps this is because Americans when creating a national myth started the story with Columbus, who consequently had to be all-good like Geo. Washington, etc. etc. Totally unrealistic, but it is the kind of stuff that most nations indoctrinate their young with in school.

Certainly Europeans have long seen him as one of many explorers, and they were all men of varying characters and motives. Seeing that the man was human, and thus flawed is not the same a making a monster out of him.
I agree, most countries, including the US, have their heroes who are treated in an almost God-like reverential way. I like it that these people can be seen in a more human and realistic way.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
It's good to teach an honest balanced view, but I just picture some ponytailed academic with his own liberal agenda swinging it the other way.

"In McDonald, Pa., 30 miles southwest of Pittsburgh, fourth-grade students at Fort Cherry Elementary put Columbus on trial this year—charging him with misrepresenting the Spanish crown and thievery. They found him guilty and sentenced him to life in prison."

I cringe when I read that. History should not be taken out of context of the period it occured, and we shouldn't judge the morals of today against it. Neither can you seperate the man from the times. Should we be teaching that Columbus is this evil criminal? Or a flawed figure that achieved great things during a time in history where the rights of every man were not recognized by the norms of that day and age? The above example is not a history lesson, it's a lesson in political correctness and idealogy - it serves no educational purpose.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
In the U.S Classrooms, they are deforming Columbus' image and legacy to suit political and PC agendas.
Columbus never realized what he had "discovered". He thought he found a trade route to the West Indies and did not.

I find it refreshing that the truth is finally being taught and that we are not offering homage to someone who was just another sailor trying to find a cheaper passage to the indies to make a fast buck.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,527 times
Christopher Columbus was a mass-murderer. Why stop at Columbus Day? Why not have a "Hitler Day" or "Stalin Day"? It's just as fitting. It's unfortunate we celebrate a holiday after a murderer and tyrant and completely overlook a truly great man much more worthy of praise and respect: Leif Ericson.

But oh well. At least I get a day off work.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
I think we should all be greatful to Columbus and his men. Afterall, if they hadnt spread all that syphillus to the indigenous peoples of the new world we may not have been motivated enough to discover things like antibiotics. So thanks Christopher! We appreciate all the hard work you and your crew put into raping,pillaging and decimating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History