Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times

Advertisements

Why is it that it's always Yankee's who bring up the Civil War first?

Down in the South we got over that long ago, but you Yankee's can't seem to let it go.

Maybe that's because winning that long-ago war is the only thing y'all have to brag about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
the occupation and violent sacking of the south, scared the people for 145 years.
bout 4 generations. for those that lost their social status it was never about slavey it was about land and property. you can trace the shift of land ownership from familes to the corporations back to the war. its about money. its always about money.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,805 times
I think it is just a matter of the looser of a war not being able to get over it, while the winner barely thinks about it. Almost no one in America thinks about the Mexican-Amerian War of 1846-1848, whereas in Mexico it is still a big deal. The Arabs are still bitter about loosing their wars with Israel in 1948 and later, and keep people whose families left Israel 60 years ago in perpetual "refugee camps" to keep the wound open. Similarly, less than fifteen years after the North won the war northerners could care less about it, but Southerners still bring it up over and over to this day. Think of all the things named after Confederate Generals and politicians--traitors to their country, people who would be regarded as little more than terrorists if they existed today! And the confederate flag being adopted as part of Southern flags. It's called "Heratige"? Please. The confederacy existed for four years, about 2% of the time the states themselves have existed. They are sore loosers, and it is easier to blame someone else (the North) for their problems rather than taking them on themselves. Though fortuanitely, in recent years most Southern states have gotten the message and have fully embraced the modern age. Still neo-confederate feelings remain, and not just in the south. There are a number of confederate flags here in Pennsylvania as well. But these days the confederate flag means more of an anti-government message than a southern pride thing anyway. But I'm on a tangent here. All I really wanted to say is that some Southerners are just bitter about the generations-gone war because they lost it, just like the loosers of wars the world over all throughout history.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 PM

900 posts, read 672,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why is it that it's always Yankee's who bring up the Civil War first?

Down in the South we got over that long ago, but you Yankee's can't seem to let it go.

Maybe that's because winning that long-ago war is the only thing y'all have to brag about.
Must be why you guys keep waving that disgusting flag every chance you get!

Gotten over it? You're still fighting it. You fought it for a hundred years with your stupid Jim Crow laws and even now you lag behind the rest of the country in education, income, health, infant death rates, and just about every other measurable statistic.

Frankly, I wish you'd become your own country. After freeing the slaves, of course. Massa have to pick his own cotton.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
I think it is just a matter of the looser of a war not being able to get over it, while the winner barely thinks about it.
I've thought about this quite a bit and I think this attitude is a MAJOR contributing factor to the "problem" such as it is...

Southerners don't give two craps about all of that from what I can tell. Believe it or not race doesn't play into it for the most part. What it IS is an attitude that Northerners bring with them when they move that serves to annoy Southerners.... "Damn Yankee" isn't a term thrown around because a Southerner thinks that the Northerner is going to make him share a bagel with a black man....

It's the attitude of, "Okay, I'm here!!!! Now let me show you how you SHOULD be doing things down here!!! You are SO backwards!!! Let me enlighten you as to how we did things up North!!!" (and toleration and integration of black people is NOT among those issues, sorry to disappoint).

When a Southerner rolls his eyes at the "enlightened" northerner and mutters to himself how he/she wishes they'd have won the Civil War, it isn't because they want their slaves back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith
Less than fifteen years after the North won the war northerners could care less about it, but Southerners still bring it up over and over to this day.
Hmmm, let's see why that might be (assuming you're correct here). Who's houses were destroyed? Who's land was ravaged? Who was being dictated to on how things were going to be? They had a LOT more to get over quite frankly...

Quote:
Think of all the things named after Confederate Generals and politicians--traitors to their country, people who would be regarded as little more than terrorists if they existed today!
Really? I believe that, like it or not, the South simply stood up and said they no longer wished to be a part of the United States. MUCH like the colonist stood up and said they no longer wished to be a part of the British Empire..... They stood up and fought a war face to face with their enemy. Don't care if you like the South or southerners at all, but if you think that's comparable to terrorists who blow themselves up in a public marketplace then I think your compass is a bit "off"..

Quote:
And the confederate flag being adopted as part of Southern flags. It's called "Heratige"? Please. The confederacy existed for four years, about 2% of the time the states themselves have existed.
Not going to get into this argument for the umpteenth time, but just address that this was the only time that they had their own flag that represented the South... It's regionalism.

Quote:
Though fortuanitely, in recent years most Southern states have gotten the message and have fully embraced the modern age.
Yup, they've got Walmarts instead of mom and pop general stores now too!!!! Oh lucky day!!!

Quote:
Still neo-confederate feelings remain, and not just in the south. There are a number of confederate flags here in Pennsylvania as well. But these days the confederate flag means more of an anti-government message than a southern pride thing anyway. But I'm on a tangent here. All I really wanted to say is that some Southerners are just bitter about the generations-gone war because they lost it, just like the loosers of wars the world over all throughout history.
Have a hard time disagreeing with too much here... All wars aside, I'm wondering how people in Massachussetts would feel if tons of people from Georgia decided to move up there and started telling them everything that was wrong with the way they did things? Again, it's not the war southerners are bitter about, it's the attitude...

Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Jews did not get the right to hold public office in NC until after the Civil War. Of course Judah Benjamin was a US Congressman, US Senator and held three Confederal cabinet posts.

My aunts remember in the 30's having to sleep under the boardwalk in Va. Beach when attending a public dance because of their last name which sounded (and is)Jewish; they could not stay with the other kids.

The Jewish hospitals were founded in part because Jewish doctors were not allowed to practice elsewhere. Cornell, Yale and Columbia had rigid Jewish and Catholic quotas as late as the 1930's (no African Americans need apply).

Of course, Jews were a very prominent part of Richmond, Va's history going back to the revolution.

The rise and power of the Klan throughout the US made anti-Jewish policies acceptable everywhere in the 20's. Lindbergh's "America First" pro-Nazi stance made anti-Semitism acceptable in the 1930's. Until FDR Jews were not permitted to hold important jobs at the State Dept. and with the exception of the Supreme Court, Army and Navy a lot of the Federal Govt. was defacto off limits. (Even Colorado State govt, was run by the Klan for a few years.)

Until the Federal Govt passed legislation in the 60's, the barriers did not fall.
America First was an anti-war movement with varying motivations amongst it's membership. Can you support your assertion that Lindbergh was pro-nazi and anti-semite or merely saw no point in getting involved in (yet another) European War? I know he spied on the German aircraft development and warned the US of their tech gains etc. and he ALSO made a major impact in the pacific theatre of the war including shooting down enemy planes.

America First: the Anti-War Movement, Charles Lindbergh and the Second World War, 1940 - 1941

Old 11-09-2009, 12:53 PM

900 posts, read 672,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I've thought about this quite a bit and I think this attitude is a MAJOR contributing factor to the "problem" such as it is...

Southerners don't give two craps about all of that from what I can tell. Believe it or not race doesn't play into it for the most part. What it IS is an attitude that Northerners bring with them when they move that serves to annoy Southerners.... "Damn Yankee" isn't a term thrown around because a Southerner thinks that the Northerner is going to make him share a bagel with a black man....

It's the attitude of, "Okay, I'm here!!!! Now let me show you how you SHOULD be doing things down here!!! You are SO backwards!!! Let me enlighten you as to how we did things up North!!!" (and toleration and integration of black people is NOT among those issues, sorry to disappoint).

When a Southerner rolls his eyes at the "enlightened" northerner and mutters to himself how he/she wishes they'd have won the Civil War, it isn't because they want their slaves back...

Hmmm, let's see why that might be (assuming you're correct here). Who's houses were destroyed? Who's land was ravaged? Who was being dictated to on how things were going to be? They had a LOT more to get over quite frankly...

Really? I believe that, like it or not, the South simply stood up and said they no longer wished to be a part of the United States. MUCH like the colonist stood up and said they no longer wished to be a part of the British Empire..... They stood up and fought a war face to face with their enemy. Don't care if you like the South or southerners at all, but if you think that's comparable to terrorists who blow themselves up in a public marketplace then I think your compass is a bit "off"..

Not going to get into this argument for the umpteenth time, but just address that this was the only time that they had their own flag that represented the South... It's regionalism.

Yup, they've got Walmarts instead of mom and pop general stores now too!!!! Oh lucky day!!!

Have a hard time disagreeing with too much here... All wars aside, I'm wondering how people in Massachussetts would feel if tons of people from Georgia decided to move up there and started telling them everything that was wrong with the way they did things? Again, it's not the war southerners are bitter about, it's the attitude...
I've been to Georgia. I've been to Massachusetts. I don't think people in Georgia have to worry about a mass migration into their state.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,442 times

What rock have you been living under?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,098 times
Let's keep this Thread CIVIL :

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I dunno but we hear echoes of the War of the Rebellion, no doubt.

Have you read "Confederates in the Attic"? Interesting take on some current issues going back to the war such as the new segregation in schools brought about by the disengagement of whites from the public schools in some areas.
But most white parents are pulling thier kids out of public schools because of poor performance in that school. Because of crime in that school. Because of rampant drug use in that school. Not neccasarily to get away from minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History