Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
There was a simple solution. Dont attack native american villages. Keep your treaties. Defending theUS army who was totally in the wrong on this matter is hard to understand.

That wasn't gonna happen. We were here to take the land and that's that. The land I live on used to belong to the Potawattamies and I've no intention of leaving. Would you have us return the land to the Indians and go back to Europe?

And the army carries out policy, civilians make it. And once you have the army deciding which policies it will and won't obey....well than you have the start of military rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 02:02 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well many people are unaware that Indians lived east of the Mississippi, (they don't make many movies about them). And that bands of Shawnees, Wyandots, Miamis, Ottawas, Chippewas and such were liable to come a knockin' at the door lookin' for hair.

The wars between the Indians and the Euros and Americans were marked by considerable brutality on almost everyone's part, indeed the Regular Army of the post Civil War period was one of the least brutal of the participants.
I am guessing you never saw Last of the Mohicans, Drums Along the Mohawk, the Disney Davie Crocket movies, the Daniel Boone or Roger's Ranger's series among others

Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I am guessing you never saw Last of the Mohicans, Drums Along the Mohawk, the Disney Davie Crocket movies, the Daniel Boone or Roger's Ranger's series among others

Don't forget King Vidor's "Northwest Passage" with Spencer Tarcy as Rogers.

I have the Disney Crockett movie on DVD and it's surprising how gritty it was; a show aimed at the same audience today would be far more bland.

I consider Ford's "Drums Along the Mohawk" the best picture made about the Revolution, not that it has much competition. John Carradine ws splendid as Caldwell, the sinister Tory.

The Tory that led the Indian-British raid from Detroit down into Kentucky that ended with the American defeat at Blue Licks was an Irishman named Caldwell. His half Potawattamie son Billy Caldwell (also called Sauganash) was a big player in the fur trade and early Chicago politics and there's a Chicago neighborhood and a forest preserve named after him.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
To add more puzzlement as to the events of the day are the remarks made by the Indians on Custers side, the Crow scouts. Still unclear is why Custer ignored scouting reports. He ignored what Bloody Knife and Mitch Bouyer told him. Surely he knew how effective Indian scouts could be. The success of the North brothers and their Pawnee scouts must have been known by him. The Crows; Hairy Moccasin, Goes Ahead, White Man Runs Him, and Curly, gave somewhat conflicting reports of what happened. Curly in particular has been singled out by historians. In his late teens at the time and speaking no English, he has been accused of being coached and prompted by whites, and of changing his story several times over the years.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Your welcome to cite the towns attacked by native americans in violation of treaties. Or period. The aggressor on the plains was overwhelming the US government not the tribes.
Sure, I can give you some right out of my family history:

Siege of Boonesborough - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Millie Cooper

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MAJOR STEPHEN COOPER, Colusa County Biographies (http://www.cagenweb.com/archives/Biography/ColusaCounty/CooperMajorStephen.html - broken link)

One of my ancestors was murdered by Indians while chopping wood near his settlement. Indians were no angels believe me. Otherwise why would settlers have had to build forts all over the midwest and west?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
By definition Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull were treaty breakers. They had refused to report to the Red Cloud Agency in early 1876 (it was a dumb order but part of the overall strategy to bring the remaining non-reservation Indians to heel). Add to that the encouragement of the US government to hasten the wipe out of the buffalo herds (an idea usually attributed to Gen. William T. Sherman).
Did natves attack settlements? Yes, it was part of the Plains culture, especially the Comanche and Lakota, to raid, collect scalps and captives, and to generally grab whatever wasn't tied down. In reality Crazy Horse didn't really fight the whites very much, he was at the Fetterman Massacre, the Rosebud and the Little Big Horn but he mostly raided westward into Crow country.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
By definition Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull were treaty breakers. They had refused to report to the Red Cloud Agency in early 1876 (it was a dumb order but part of the overall strategy to bring the remaining non-reservation Indians to heel)..

Indeed, I was thinking the very thing while eating dinner tonight (which I suppose means I should have my head examined) and also thinking that the town Custer attacked was on what is now Crow land; leading me to wonder if the entire shebang was on non treaty protected land. I should crack a couple of books and see but I'm lazy and sick today.

Speaking of the Crows, I wonder what they think of all this.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
By definition Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull were treaty breakers. They had refused to report to the Red Cloud Agency in early 1876 .

Not by Sitting Bull's definition. Red Cloud was chief of the Oglala Sioux, and Sitting Bull did fight with him in the war which carries his name, but Sitting Bull was of the Hunkpapa Sioux and signed no treaty of any sort. Not did he behave as though he believed himself defeated. He took his followers and continued to raid along the Missouri River through all the years leading up to the Little Bighorn fight. Sitting Bull was consistently hostile toward the white race. Even after he was forced to surrender in 1881, he signed no treaty, merely indicated that he would be non hostile towards whites...for the time being. And when he was at last killed, it was while resisting arrest.

I do not see where he was ever obligated to a treaty which he could have broken.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:14 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
If anyone ever had it coming to them it was Custer. A disgrace of a human being whom the Cheyenne and Souix held a particular hatred for. And rightly so. Unless you think its okay to open up the bellies of pregnant women and kill innocent children. He had it coming and I'm glad he got it!
Thats so right on!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That wasn't gonna happen. We were here to take the land and that's that. The land I live on used to belong to the Potawattamies and I've no intention of leaving. Would you have us return the land to the Indians and go back to Europe?

And the army carries out policy, civilians make it. And once you have the army deciding which policies it will and won't obey....well than you have the start of military rule.
europeans stole our land and tried to wipe out all Native tribes, europeans are the ones who broke treaties and never made good on any promises, but hey were still here. and btw its not potawattamies its Pottawatomies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History