Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,150,906 times

Advertisements

bek most dont like smart successful rich people living next door. makes em feel like a loser.
especially if they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 PM

8,404 posts, read 6,777,108 times
Every society has a need for scapegoats.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM

3,317 posts, read 4,105,125 times
To spite the persecution of the Jews in the holocaust, I think it did provide the right climate for the state of Israel to be formed. The will of the Jews to immigrate and form the new state might not have been there otherwise, and the setting of the world stage was right in those days to help make it possible, as might not have been the case otherwise. I do not think the Jews will ever suffer another persecution on the scale of the holocaust ever again. I also do not think the Arabs will ever be able to destroy the state of Israel. Biblical prophecy says that in the last days before revelation, all the world will be facinated with Israel. So I would take that to mean they will be one of the worlds major players at that time, and will continue to rise in status as time passes.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:23 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,408,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Biblical prophecy says that in the last days before revelation, all the world will be facinated with Israel. So I would take that to mean they will be one of the worlds major players at that time, and will continue to rise in status as time passes.
Biblical prophecy is not a reliable source for serious historical discussion, so this means nothing that is credible. There are forums where it's considered a valid source, but this is not one. I now begin to see where a lot of things you have said before emanate from.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,523,061 times
Ignorance and stupidity, the same way gays and muslims are now treated in parts of this nation.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 AM

594 posts, read 1,774,377 times
Any people, such as the Jews, Gypsies, Kurds, Armenians and others seeking refuge have often found themselves at the mercy of their host country. When the fortunes of a country go bad, minority groups often become the object of blame. History is replete with stories of scapegoating, and Jews, in particular, have been the victims of both religious and racial persecution.

During the Christian Crusades, tens of thousands of Jews were killed by crusaders on their way to the Holy Land. Interestingly, Jews sometimes fought alongside Muslims in battles with crusaders. When the Black Death fell on Europe, Jews were often accused, even though they, too, were suffering the same fate. As Barbara Tuchman said in her great book, A Distant Mirror, on the chaotic social conditions of the 14th century, the medieval Church viewed the recalcitrant Jews as a "perpetual insult" to the Christian church and that Jews "must be kept distinct and apart from the Christian community." As moneylenders, Jews were often accused of usury, and the Church considered it no great sin to loot and even kill the offending Jews. The list of perceived Jewish offenses goes on, including well-poisoning, ritual murder, etc. Jews were often attacked in working class revolts because it was the one part of society that was completely vulnerable to their wrath.

As an aside to the OP's question, the term "antisemitic" seems to be erroneous and a misnomer. The term is said to have been coined in 1879 by Wilhelm Marr to indicate hostility to Jews. Semitic refers to a language group and not to a people. Since Arabs and several others are Semitic-speaking people, it seems strange that the term "antisemitism" is used exclusively in regard to Jews.

One of the best books I have read on the history of the Jewish people is "The Zionist Connection: What Price Peace" by the late Alfred Lilienthal, who was a Jew. Lilienthal traces the history of the Jews from their origins to the diaspora, in which many Jews amalgamated with the Khazars of Ukraine and became known as the Ashkenazi Jews of eastern and central Europe. The Ashkenazi Jews are one of two great divisions of Jews, the other division is known as the Sephardic-genetic Jews, largely living in the Iberian Peninsula and northern Africa. Lilienthal wasn't very popular with many Jews because of his opposition to the methods of Zionism. Albert Einstein, an early supporter, became became disillusioned for similar reasons.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,785,196 times
Jews are The Chosen People.

I always thought that meant that they were chosen by their god to be universally persecuted as a kind of a sacrifice.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 AM

472 posts, read 922,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Because they're a minority that didn't assimilate well.
And they are often conspicuously smarter than those around them. In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is in for a **** of a rough time.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,334,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
If that's what people believe, you'd think they'd be grateful, because people who believe that also generally believe that Jesus being crucified enables them to be forgiven for their sins. Maybe if he doesn't get nailed to a cross, no one can get forgiven and everyone is stuck with the consequences of all the times they coveted their neighbor's wife. (I'm fortunate. Both my neighbors' wives do not, shall we say, inspire covetousness.) People's disconnects never cease to amaze me, especially in the area of religion.
Digressing for one small moment; this is completely off topic for which I apologize, but in this same vein of logic, as a Christian, I have always felt bad about the bad rap that Judas, the original Jewish scapegoat in my opinion, got. Wasn't the betrayal part of the big plan, too? Would Jesus have ended up ultimately in the hands of the Romans if he had not been delivered by his trusted friend? Rhetorical questions, to be sure, but something to think about.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,408,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Digressing for one small moment; this is completely off topic for which I apologize, but in this same vein of logic, as a Christian, I have always felt bad about the bad rap that Judas, the original Jewish scapegoat in my opinion, got. Wasn't the betrayal part of the big plan, too? Would Jesus have ended up ultimately in the hands of the Romans if he had not been delivered by his trusted friend? Rhetorical questions, to be sure, but something to think about.
That's why it all comes down to a few core beliefs, which one either believes or one does not. If one cannot believe the core beliefs, the whole thing unravels, which is why I renounced Christianity. Even if all the things defined by it as sinful are actually wrong (which I don't believe), I don't believe that a deity would incarnate his kid in order to be killed, nor that a psychotic act against an innocent could somehow expiate any of those wrongs by anyone else. Too easy an out. And I also don't believe everything that happens is part of a grand plan, or for a reason. If it is, the deity whose grand plan the Haiti earthquake is, I officially am disinterested in worshipping.

But maybe that's one of the reasons Jews got/get picked on: they don't buy into the easy 'get out of hell free' card Christianity sells. If you can't play the card, then life is tougher; you have go to those you harmed and provide restitution, which Judaism expects as part of any sincere contrition. Ow. No fun. "You mean I also have to pay him back? But I said I'm sorry! I should get a pass!" Same for the 'it's all God's will' factor common to Christianity and Islam. I somehow do not think that very many Jews consider the Holocaust to be Hashem's will. Therefore, if not everything is God's will, then some things are under our control and the onus is on us to shape events in decent ways. There goes another bit of spiritual prestidigitation, beloved of many over actually doing something positive, swept away.

There's a reason, so to speak, why Judaism sparkled during the 'Age of Reason'. Because it's mostly pretty reasonable to the objective mind. No wonder medieval Christian leaders (who were basically Pat Robertson pre-incarnated) found it an irritant. Reason wasn't their strong suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History