Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,588,068 times

Advertisements

1. Castle Del Ovo, Naples Italy - Where the last Roman Emperor Romulus Augustus was imprisoned by the Goth king Odoacer in 476 A.D.

2. Salinas Pueblo Mission Ruins, Central New Mexico - Spanish Fryers founded the missions for the pueblo indians of the Manzano Mountains in the 1630's..

3. Fort Craig, Fort Seldon, Fort Stanton, Southern New Mexico - The US Government built these old forts to protect the miners and settlers from the Apaches in the mid to late 1800's.

4. White Oaks Ghost Town, Southern New Mexico - A mining town in the Capitan Mountains where ''Billy the Kid'' hung out at with the McSween's (Cattle Barons) in the early 1880's.

5. Mount Vesuvius, Naples Italy - Volcano that erupted and buried the Roman Villas of Pompeii and Herculaneum with lava in 79 A.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:20 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,986,223 times
Too many to name, including many of the ones already mentioned, especially in Italy.

I will just list some of the ones which I found especially compelling.
Seems like tragic battles and ancient civilizations loom large in my list.

Stonehenge, England (very, very old and enigmatic)

Omaha Beach in Normandy, France, as well as the Memorial in Caen

Gettysburg Battlefield
PA

Tikal, Guatemala (ancient Mayan civilization)

Culloden, Scotland

Oradour-sur-Glane, France

Mesa Verde
Colorado (ancient cliff-dwelling civilization)

Palace of Knossos, Crete, Greece (those Minoans were amazing)

Old 01-01-2010, 08:29 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,861,454 times
Not that it is relevant, but would anybody like to try their hand at defining "historical site"? At a minimum, I guess it would need some kind of a plaque identifying it as a historic site. How many roadside historical markers have you stopped to pee at?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM

9,460 posts, read 10,779,726 times
I have been to Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Pittsburg landing, Stones River, Fort Donelson, Chattanooga, Kennesaw Mountain, Chickimauga, Chancelorsville, The wilderness, Brices crossroads, Monacacy, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, Fort Sumpter, Perryville, Cowpens, Frenchtown, Fort Meigs, Mackinaw. Also in Europe, I have seen London tower, Parlament, Canterbury, Notre Dame in Paris, Eiffle tower, Louvre. I was young (16) when I was in Europe so I would love to see these things again, as I know I would get more out of it now. I consider myself blessed to have been able to see all these important places.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,282,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have been to Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Pittsburg landing, Stones River, Fort Donelson, Chattanooga, Kennesaw Mountain, Chickimauga, Chancelorsville, The wilderness, Brices crossroads, Monacacy, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, Fort Sumpter, Perryville, Cowpens, Frenchtown, Fort Meigs, Mackinaw. Also in Europe, I have seen London tower, Parlament, Canterbury, Notre Dame in Paris, Eiffle tower, Louvre. I was young (16) when I was in Europe so I would love to see these things again, as I know I would get more out of it now. I consider myself blessed to have been able to see all these important places.
I'll assume you went to Manassas/Bull Run as well? (Doubt you would have gone to all the others around it and missed it... ).

I've been to quite a few Civil War sites, but have not been to a lot of the ones you have... Which are your favorites?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 AM

9,460 posts, read 10,779,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I'll assume you went to Manassas/Bull Run as well? (Doubt you would have gone to all the others around it and missed it... ).

I've been to quite a few Civil War sites, but have not been to a lot of the ones you have... Which are your favorites?

I actually have not been to Manassas. While visiting other Virginia sites, I ran out of time. However Manassas is now high up on my list for the next trip to Virginia. I go every year with a friend of mine visiting civil war battlefields, and we figure we have several more trips to Virginia before we have seen all its major sites. As far as my favorites, they would be Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Pittsburg Landing, Chancelorsville and Sharpsburg. These battlefields are well preserved and have great museums. Some of the battlefields I have been to are half paved over like Fredricksburg or even worse Franklin Tn. Its hard to appreciate what happened in Franklin for example when your looking at a strip mall and Mcds sitting on top of the history.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 AM

50,248 posts, read 63,783,524 times
Gettysburg and Arlington National Cemetery

Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,458,395 times
I have been to:
  • The Vietnam and Korean War Memorials
  • Mt Vernon and Monticello
  • Historical Williamsburg
  • Gettysburg
  • Independence Hall Philadelphia
  • Tower of London & St Paul's
  • Just about every ruined castle in the British Isles excluding N Ireland
  • City of York (UK)
  • City of Oxford (UK - just celebrated its 1000th birthday last year)
  • Hampton Court
  • Mad King Ludwig's castles Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau
  • Palace of Versailles
  • Sentosa Island, Singapore (where the Japanese surrendered in 1945)
  • Cyprus
  • Egypt (pyramids, temples, etc)

Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,282,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I actually have not been to Manassas. While visiting other Virginia sites, I ran out of time. However Manassas is now high up on my list for the next trip to Virginia. I go every year with a friend of mine visiting civil war battlefields, and we figure we have several more trips to Virginia before we have seen all its major sites. As far as my favorites, they would be Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Pittsburg Landing, Chancelorsville and Sharpsburg. These battlefields are well preserved and have great museums. Some of the battlefields I have been to are half paved over like Fredricksburg or even worse Franklin Tn. Its hard to appreciate what happened in Franklin for example when your looking at a strip mall and Mcds sitting on top of the history.
I actually liked Sharpsburg more than Gettysburg..... Probably has a lot to do with the crowds at Gettysburg. That one seems to attract EVERYBODY whereas Antietam/Sharpsburg is more people who are really interested in history and such...

Manassas is strangely well-preserved. It's funny because you're driving along on the interstate, take the exit, drive by some strip malls, go over a little ridge and it's like you went back 150 years.... Crazy how they managed that....

I've always found Manassas a bit confusing trying to keep straight which sites are from the 1st battle and which are from the 2nd...

Anyway, out here in the Valley we have a lot of more minor battlefields..... Cedar Creek has the land, but no real "presentation" at the moment... I mean you can walk the trenches, but they're in the middle of the woods right now and such..... They have lofty plans for it, but we'll see what happens.... Kernstown is also along these lines, though it's easier to walk (though it's a pretty short walk). New Market is pretty well-done, though it's right next to I-81.....

I went down over the summer to Port Republic and Cross-Keys.... Beautiful area but not THAT much to see really.... Had to go though....

Went to Ball's Bluff over in Leesburg as well..... It is another that is pretty well grown over with trees, but they do a good job of preserving it and have a good system of walking paths....

Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,823,591 times
1. Napoleon's tomb.

2. Ephesus.

3. The castle located at Capri.

4. Syracuse.

5. Bodrum.

6. Troy.

7. 36 Streets.

8. Ft. Pilar

9. Cannae battlefield.

10. The Forum in Rome and the Appian Way.

11. Virgil's burial site.

12. Route 66.

13. The French Quarter in New Orleans

14. Chalmette Plantation, site of the battle of new orleans

12. Oaks Alley Plantation.

13. too many to list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History