Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,156,970 times

Advertisements

The Royal Armouries - England

Home | Royal Armouries

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 AM

The Mary Rose Museum - Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - England

One of the largest collection of Tudor Artefacts in the world.

The Mary Rose

Mary Rose Museum by Wilkinson Eyre and Pringle Brandon Perkins+Will

Last edited by Bamford; 01-16-2014 at 01:02 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 AM

26,732 posts, read 22,409,968 times
That's...a lot of horses.

( In the previous post.)

Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
My favourite had a brief life. It was popularly called the Huntingdon Hartford Museum, though I think its true moniker was The New York Cultural Center. Under the directorship of Mario Amaya it put on exhibitions that never would have been seen in NYC otherwise. I loved the place.

Some people hated Edward Durrell Stone's building (I liked its appearance), but its revamping in later years was an atrocity for which there should have been public beheadings in Columbus Circle.

2 Columbus Circle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link below is on Mario Amaya. When a woman attempted to kill Andy Warhol, she also hit Amaya with a bullet. He was on his way to dinner at the home of some society Big Wig, but was rushed to hospital where he was taken care of and released. He reportedly went on to the dinner, and when he arrived is reputed to have said to his hostess : "Sorry, to be late for dinner, but I was shot."

Mario Amaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favourite show of his was the paintings of Jack Yeats (brother of William Butler Yeats.) I still have my catalogue, and though a bit small by today's standards it has some of the best colour reproductions of Yeats's painting that I have seen.

BBC - Your Paintings - Jack Butler Yeats

Another favourite museum is the Chester Beatty Library in Dublin.

Chester Beatty Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 AM

One last one

The Freud Museum - London

Freud Museum, London

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freud Museum

Did Freud say of the Irish "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."?

This remark is discussed in the Oscar-winning movie 'The Departed'. However, there is no evidence Freud ever said it.

Freud Museum ~ About Us

Sigmund's famous couch.

Last edited by Bamford; 01-16-2014 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,086,955 times
The Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. was my first major museum experience that I really enjoyed. I could have stayed there for years. (Of course, my classmates were at the age when sitting on the floor with their cliques of friends outweighed looking around)

The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. This isn't just an art museum, it's practically a ginormous museum of everything with the garment collection, musical instrument collection, Egyptian collection, etc. Same goes, on a much smaller scale, for the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.

The Royal Palace in El Escorial, Spain, is also very interesting, especially the part with all the kings' tombs.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,644,866 times
The Smithsonian in DC, American History is probably my favorite.
But for sports buffs, the Baseball Hall of Fame Museum in Cooperstown, NY is incredible.. just a ton of great stuff to see there..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 AM

14,380 posts, read 14,207,248 times
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Bishop Museum in Hawaii

National Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.

Chicago Museum of Science and Industry

Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,014,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Bishop Museum in Hawaii

National Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C.

Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
I'd love to see the Air and Space Museum.

The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry is fantastic. My girlfriend and I were just there in October. I mainly wanted to see the U-505 exhibit (which is phenomenal) but there are many other great exhibits as well. The replica of the Wright Brother's plane and the weather exhibits were very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History