Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 PM

137 posts, read 625,145 times

Advertisements

I need more Historical Fiction. Preferably, something along the lines of Patrick O'Brien or Owen Parry's 'Abel Jones' series. American History, 18th or 19th Century stuff, Colonial Period, Frontier ( not Louis Lamore , already read his stuff), or Civil War. Not really into Gone with the Wind type romanticism, but something a little more gritty and real. Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, it's really hard to beat Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. A seriously great novel about the old west that's really not a western. It really defies genre.

Herman Wouk wrote two World War epics, Winds of War and War and Remembrance.

And I looooooooove Patrick O'Brian. I went into mourning after reading his last Auburn/Maturin book. I'll say this to the rest of the history forum. If you haven't read Patrick O'Brian, you're missing a serious treat.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's series does for the British army, what O' Brian does for the Royal Navy. There are a wealth of them out there, I've read seven or eight of them. I have to hand it to Cornwell in that despite using the same character and general circumstances over and over, each book is fresh and imaginative with complex plots, sly humor here and there, and extremely well written battle scenes.

Cornwell also started a series on the American Civil War (four books...more to come?) a series on King Alfred (five books out) and several independent books, the best of which is "Agincourt."

Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's series does for the British army, what O' Brian does for the Royal Navy. There are a wealth of them out there, I've read seven or eight of them. I have to hand it to Cornwell in that despite using the same character and general circumstances over and over, each book is fresh and imaginative with complex plots, sly humor here and there, and extremely well written battle scenes.

Cornwell also started a series on the American Civil War (four books...more to come?) a series on King Alfred (five books out) and several independent books, the best of which is "Agincourt."
You know, I have thought about taking up Sharpe. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
I need more Historical Fiction. Preferably, something along the lines of Patrick O'Brien or Owen Parry's 'Abel Jones' series. American History, 18th or 19th Century stuff, Colonial Period, Frontier ( not Louis Lamore , already read his stuff), or Civil War. Not really into Gone with the Wind type romanticism, but something a little more gritty and real. Thanks for any suggestions.
Well, I'm working on a historical novel set in 1859. I'll let you know when it's ready.

Thanks for letting me know that gritty and real is a goal I should be working toward!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:22 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, it's really hard to beat Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. A seriously great novel about the old west that's really not a western. It really defies genre.

Herman Wouk wrote two World War epics, Winds of War and War and Remembrance.

And I looooooooove Patrick O'Brian. I went into mourning after reading his last Auburn/Maturin book. I'll say this to the rest of the history forum. If you haven't read Patrick O'Brian, you're missing a serious treat.
Thank you for the heads up. I'll check him out.

Nice thread.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:56 AM

62 posts, read 163,252 times
“Empire on the Platte” by Richard Crabb. More of a non-fictional account than historical fiction. Great read, nonetheless.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:20 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Have you read books by Leon Uris? He wrote many historical fiction books. The most famous one was "Exodus".

Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
Well, it's historical fiction anyway, but might be a bit more "GWTW" than you'd like, but I enjoyed John Jakes' 'Kent Family Chronicles'....

It basically follows a family through the first 100 years or so of American History.... I liked it. Of course it's a bit hokey at times (These people always seem to stumble upon the most famous people, but I guess that's part of what makes it interesting....)...

Anyway, it's an 8 book series (The Bastard, The Rebels, The Seekers, the Furies, The Titans, The Warriors, The Lawless and The Americans...). Fun read IMO.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
There's always the Shaara books on the American (revolutionary, mexican, civil) wars. Michael and his son Jeff. Some find it a bit too dramatically wordy, but I liked them.
I wouldn't call the above fiction really - I like to read about historical figures, rather than fictional figures in historical settings.

For outright fiction I did enjoy "Lonesome Dove" and all the sequels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History