Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

A locket! Just as good!

But you MUST put a bit of your DH's hair inside. (Or is that only done for the dear departed?)

Anyway, thanks so much for posting the photos. You go, girl!

Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM

30 posts, read 67,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But you MUST put a bit of your DH's hair inside. (Or is that only done for the dear departed?)
He's going bald, I take anymore from him and he's pretty screwed. LOL And the lock of hair is only done to represent the dear departed.

The same vendor/friends he bought the pocket watch from has had a piece of hair jewelry that I've admired and wanted for a long time, but pieces like that and in good shape go from anywhere from $500 to $1,000.

Here are a few pieces I found using google.

http://www.jennyvorwaller.com/blog/uploads/vict27578.jpg (broken link)

This is a lady's bracelet and she would have had a matching one on the other wrist.

A lady's bracelet, ring, brooh, and earrings, might have been made from a child or her Husband.

This is a watch chain.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
I love the pictures, and I think you look just charming.
A friend of mine has a collection of Victorian hair art and it's fascinating. My mother said some of her aunts were still plaiting hair into pictures and lockets in the 1920's in northern Europe.
Today so many people think 19th century life was so sweet and quaint, but unless you had a passel of servants doing the daily chores for you, it was HARD work to be a 19th c. woman.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
But does it not make you wonder why a descendent of an Austrian Ethnic Jew would choose to go to an event KNOWING that they might see a re-enactor dressed in a Waffen SS Uniform waiving a Swastika banner?

I beleive that I can unconfuse you. You raise the issue of voluntary exposure and that may be settled by reviewing NCN's description of participation.

Quote:
I visit schools, have visited several Ladies groups, marched in parades and take part in Living History events at Reenactments
Of the above, the first would seem to fall into the class of involuntary exposure. Students in a classroom or auditorium are a captive audience. A Ladies Group may or may not have briefed the members fully on what was in store by way of entertainment on a particular day.

The last I will grant you, someone attending an event advertised as a reenactment should be prepared to see historical recreations, and that would incluce recreations of characters he or she might deem offensive.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Why would you worry about one sour puss when there was prtoably hundreds that remarked on your work and dress while you went by in the parade? Just think of those that have to do things like meter maids;police officers and the haters they meet everyday but they learn to ignore these type. If you going to continue you will too have to disregard people especailly ones that obviously intend you to hear and offend.Basically most would call tehm surde;rude people and there are plenty. Next time I would hold my nose and say that something smells sour and stroll off like a lady.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
You have a great well researched impression. I would not some morons get you down. Somebody is going to find a way to be offended about something no matter what you do. I did CW for amost 20 years before switching over to WWII.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:12 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why would you worry about one sour puss when there was prtoably hundreds that remarked on your work and dress while you went by in the parade? Just think of those that have to do things like meter maids;police officers and the haters they meet everyday but they learn to ignore these type. If you going to continue you will too have to disregard people especailly ones that obviously intend you to hear and offend.Basically most would call tehm surde;rude people and there are plenty. Next time I would hold my nose and say that something smells sour and stroll off like a lady.

Perhaps "Fiddle-dee-dee" would work ,too

Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
And yet you watch war movies....

What do you figure the difference is?

Both are portraying battle. One does it on camera, one in front of a live audience. Yet you have a problem with one, but not the other...
The difference between watching "They Were Expendable" and running around like an overgrown kid going "budda-budda" like a Sgt. Rock comic book should be obvious. Reenacting also betrays a certain lack of sensitivity to the gravity of the real events.

People making movies are also earning a living; that's pretty adult. Movies are work, reenacting is play. Anyway our maturity and taste is reflected in how we play.

Look, if people want to play war that's their business. But it's silly and childish. I too do silly, childish things at times.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Ha........ You should try reenacting WW2 German!!!!

P.S. We get in Movies all the time too

Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Keep on doing what your doing. Do not let the easily offendable and politically correct drive you off. Do not let people make you think the confederate cause was wrong either. The south stood up for the right of states to govern themselves without federal tyranny. Considering how large and controlling the federal goverment has become in the modern age, its fair to say the confederacy was on the right side of this isssue. I am not a re-enacter like you, but I am a big war of southern independence nut. I visit the battlefields every year, read books, watch documentaries so its far to say its a bit of an obsession. I have the first national flag on my truck, and the third national flys off my front porch. I live in the upper midwest, so as you can imagine some people do not like it. That is thier business, they can be offended but I fly them for 2 reasons. First I fly them as a sign of displeasure toward the size and nature of federal goverment today. We have strayed far from our constitution. Second I fly them to honor the heros of the confederacy, and simply because I am interested in the war. It sounds like you have a similar love of that era of history so dont let the modern PC crowd ruin it for you. Ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History