Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited I can't type.

Please contact me as soon as possible, and or email me photos, or for heaven's sake CALL ME or something.

I believe you have a Sears Magnolia! I'm not sure, and I need better photos, but it sure looks like it!

This would be the 7th known Magnolia in the entire world.

Be still my quivering heart. I think I'm having heart palpitations!

Robert - I need you to drop me a note!

PM me at this site and we'll talk!!!

Rosemary Thornton
author of, a whole bunch of books on Sears Homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Default hmmm

Well, while I wait for Robert to come back and talk to me about his potential Magnolia, I'll post some cool photos I found today in an old Honor Built Hardware catalog.

BTW, built-in cabinets are NOT a sign that you have a Sears Home. However, these built-ins were options you could choose. (Just like ordering power-windows on a car. Upgrades were always an option.)

These items were offered in the 1933 Hardware catalog. Don't you love the prices?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times
After reading this thread, you know what I think?

IKEA should make a "kit house"!

I really learned something from this thread. These homes are well-built and gorgeous. There were a few pictures of "new" (at that time) kit homes on page two that look like something I would buy NOW!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:30 AM

Default more pics

If you want to see lots of pretty pictures, there's a new thread with a zillion pictures here: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-historic.html

And by the way, I'm still trying to find that house in Raleigh!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,388 times
There is a house in Wolfeboro NH on Wolfeboro Bay, named Wiscasset by the original owners, that I know was a "kit" home and looks amazingly like the Magnolia, though not in every detail. My father-in-law owned it for a while.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:34 PM

840 posts, read 3,467,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm pretty sure some of the older larger houses here were kits. Mine is one of the economy models and there are a LOT of them around. My neighbor was involved in tearing one down and the central supports for the house was a wood they had to lift out it was so hard and sturdy.

Somehow if the price was right I bet people would order homes as a kit now. At least you know it wasn't thrown together in a few days as one of many. Mine is 80 and going strong. The McMansion isn't going to make it that long.

Nightbird, I have wondered about some of the houses in Cushing,OK as they do look like these Sears kits: https://www.pinterest.com/search/?q=...inks_searchbox

Last edited by OneDayAttaTime; 10-12-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Amazing. Still standing. Such a wonderful era in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History