Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times

Advertisements

My Dad was in the Aleutian Campaign of 1943. I've got a couple photos he took of the trench burial of some of the Japanese dead after their final Banzai charge against the American lines in the Battle of Attu.

I'd bet he has more than a few stories to tell of that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 05:23 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
He had a few - such as living in this tent for 7 months without taking a bath... (the first chance he had when they moved to a Quonset hut, he caught pneumonia )

Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
ScoPro/travric...are you conversing with yourself?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
He had a few - such as living in this tent for 7 months without taking a bath......
I went 29 days between showers in Viet Nam. I was on a patrol boat and we didn't have any fresh water because the equipment was down. We were supposed to get relieved after 2 weeks, but the relief didn't show up so we had to take his patrol, too.

29 days. Man, it got bad. We all just threw away our sheets when we got back to port.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I went 29 days between showers in Viet Nam. I was on a patrol boat and we didn't have any fresh water because the equipment was down. We were supposed to get relieved after 2 weeks, but the relief didn't show up so we had to take his patrol, too.

29 days. Man, it got bad. We all just threw away our sheets when we got back to port.
When my dad was fighting WW2 and Japan, living in tents on islands, he told us about one young man with their unit. They would pour water in substitute tub to wash when they could, or use a river, all but this young man who was raised in the hills. They didn't wash often where he lived. He didn't change what he could either. They had to have someone share a tent with him, and nobody wanted to.

So they did an ambush, grabbed him in his clothes and washed both the best they could. They wouldn't let him out of the bath until they decided he was suitable and them he rinced off in the river. He didn't much like it but was told in no uncertain terms that he'd wash when he could, when they did or they'd pull a repeat.

He was from a place so far back in the middle of nowhere that he'd never been in a car. My dad got the job of teaching him how to drive a jeep well enough it would stay on the road. I wonder how many young men from the backwoods had similar experineces.

We'd go camping, and I remember one two week vacation by the beach where I wore my bathing suit by day and the warm pants and socks and warm hooded sweatshirt and beanie for cold night. Mom packed for me and I didn't take anything else out. Loved those vacations but Dad and my Uncle who lived on the road as he grew up did not go with my mom and aunt when we camped. Dad had a different idea of camping out.

I've seen more recently relased film of the island fighting with all the gore and try to put dad there, and am so grateful that he was one of them who came home. But the only 'war stories' he ever told were about stuff like the bath. He never once spoke of the horrors but wouldn't watch war movies.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Quote:
ScoPro/travric...are you conversing with yourself?
Maybe some confusion in the back and forth. I should have put quotes around my initial response to one his posts.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
My Dad said after that last big fight on Attu he went around the field looking for a pair of those nice fur-lined Japanese winter boots to wear instead of his cold GI boots. He spotted a pair sitting side by side near the burial trench, so he went over to claim them. He took off his GI boots then started to put one of the "captured" ones on, but his foot wouldn't go in.
He looked a bit closer and saw that there was already a foot in it.

Needless to say, he dropped the boot & the idea entirely.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:21 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My Dad said after that last big fight on Attu he went around the field looking for a pair of those nice fur-lined Japanese winter boots to wear instead of his cold GI boots. He spotted a pair sitting side by side near the burial trench, so he went over to claim them. He took off his GI boots then started to put one of the "captured" ones on, but his foot wouldn't go in.
He looked a bit closer and saw that there was already a foot in it.

Needless to say, he dropped the boot & the idea entirely.
Closest I can relate happened a couple of weeks ago. I was going to work in the yard, and when I picked up my yard boots I found a frog had moved in!

I put him out near the water garden.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Carthage was so feared that Cato the Elder always closed his speeches in the Roman senate with the words, "Carthage must be destroyed."
Was that before, during, and/or after Hannibal invaded Italy?

Old 08-31-2013, 02:28 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
In 9 A.D., there was a battle in the Teutoberg Forest where Germanic tribes destroyed I believe 3 Roman legions. The bodies and bones hung out there at the battle site and were found by Roman troops following up on the terrible battle. No doubt what they saw (and imagined) made them cringe. And that was how Roman commanders were put to death when they were captured. In fact not to suffer that kind of fate, the commanding general did commit suicide. Gruesome business ancient battles.
Was that the same battle that caused Octavian to awaken from time to time and cry for his legions to be returned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History