Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think Jesus figures into it. If Jesus had never existed, nor the events in his life, the people of Europe would have simply embraced another theistic faith, and adapted it as necessary to take advantage of their economic development. Maybe just unadulterated Judaism. Of course, things would have developed somewhat differently, but in the end, would probably come out as a world lwith pretty much the same socio-economic and technological flavor. After all, the influence of Christ had almost no positive effect on European development in the Dark and Middle Ages, and Europeans had to afterwards piece things together, and it wouldn't really matter what theistic faith they adhered to, as long it could be hammered and bent into something that tolerated European greed.
My view as well. Christian in name and rituals, but hardly in behavioral practice. "I'm killing you and stealing your land in the name of Jesus" isn't any sort of improvement, or distinction over "I'm killing you and stealing your land."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My view as well. Christian in name and rituals, but hardly in behavioral practice. "I'm killing you and stealing your land in the name of Jesus" isn't any sort of improvement, or distinction over "I'm killing you and stealing your land."
Would "I'm killing you in the name of the "common good", (or just "da people")" be an improvement???

Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Monotheism promoted individual accountability, which played a key role in the development of codified law and the evolution of stronger market and production systems and of representative, parliamentary pluralism (although it could be argued that the "flip side" to this is the rise of Fascism and collectivism in weak or failed societies).
Buddhism is very much about individual accountability. More so than Christianity, which promises pie in the sky if you repent before you die, no matter what horrific acts you committed in the course of your lifetime.

I could think of several significant events that might qualify for MOST significant:

Dropping the atomic bomb

The development of agriculture (which took place at different times around the world, not a single event)

Industrial revolution

Exodus out of Africa, to eventually populate the planet

Invention of gunpowder

Discovery of how to make fire

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-23-2013 at 10:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
If there is one single event in human history that changed everything about humanity what would it be?

I would say the Resurrection of Christ over two thousand years ago.
No proof that this happened. Some say he went East after surviving his ordeal on the cross, and ministered to the Jewish community in Kashmir. No proof of that yet either, other than mention of Jesus turning up somewhere around Persia on his way to India, mentioned in Act of Thomas.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
I would agree, Gutenberg's printing press changed the world forever. Imagine a world where books were handwritten, scarce and very expensive. Information was hard to come by... then here comes a way to print faster and cheaper, information for the little guy! Newspapers, magazines.... material to read!
The Chinese already had printed books centuries before Europe.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
Writing. For the first time we were able to capture words and retain / share them. Before this, knowledge was shared through story telling, but once we learned how to write, knowledge could actually be stored outside of human heads and passed on even after the person with the knowledge passed away.
Writing, however, wasn't shared. It was the province of the elite for a very long time, wherever it was invented. The lower classes were not taught to read. In many cultures it was thought best to keep them ignorant by prohibiting them from learning to read, or by making such learning inaccessible to most.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,448,063 times
The first securable storage containers for foodstuffs. Throughout history - prior to this event in varying cultures - the tenuous relationship of inventory and location of varying foods for a balanced diet made everyone nomadic hunter gatherers.

Even if it took some time to refine agricultural knowledge over time one needed to have food storage capacity and inventory to support groups large enough to contain / secure an area from others and then subsequently lead to stable commerce.

Foodstuffs being mostly perishable, needed the development of good secure containers, and the weights and measuring element along with it to effect widespread commerce and trade.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCasey View Post
Evolving into humankind.
The ability to reason.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Would "I'm killing you in the name of the "common good", (or just "da people")" be an improvement???
My own country's vanguard of Christian ethics, in my own lifetime, told the Vietnamese "I'm killing you for your own good", which is, at least, unselfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
The first securable storage containers for foodstuffs. . . .
Foodstuffs being mostly perishable, needed the development of good secure containers, and the weights and measuring element along with it to effect widespread commerce and trade.
You mean, like Pop-Tarts, and other such great leaps forward in assured nutrition?

The UADA and CDC say one American in six suffers each year from foodborne illness, which is probably higher than most third world countries. Due almost exclusively to the absence of any acquired immunity to pathogens. Rather than helping us, we have actually created a dependence on food sterility. Besides the fact that 50% of all edible food harvested in or imported to the USA is discarded and wasted even before it becomes unsafe to eat. In China, that figure is almost certainly less than 10% and probably much closer to 1%.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-24-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

read this, but you won't. Amazon.com: How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization (9781596983281): Thomas E. Woods, Antonio Canizares: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History