Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Funny, you refer to the Jews as the "rightful owners" not renters, and your post doesn't mention a word about taxes or rents, just who "use[s] the land more effectively."

Sorry for the confusion, but the Jews are the rightful renters as long as they use the land more effectively as anyone else who desires it.

I don't deal in catch phrase, especially those which mean anything and everything depending on those who choose disingenuousness over intellectual honesty. So, I'm not jumping down the rabbit hole of sovereignty. I'll save that for Politics and other Controversies.
?I don't know what the rest of the post is supposed to mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
As Jules Winfield would say, "then allow me to clarify."

I wrote:

"I don't deal in catch phrase," i.e., "idea of national sovereignty". Now what is meant by national sovereignty,
The supreme, absolute, and uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed and from which all specific political powers are derived; the intentional independence of a state, combined with the right and power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference.
or some other convoluted reference to natural law? Who knows because you certainly didn't take the time to give any specificity to the suggestion. So absent any expository explanation I continued with,
especially those which mean anything and everything depending on those who choose disingenuousness over intellectual honesty.
Which prior to your "clarification" referred to the Jews as owners after referring to the Palestinians as renters.

Which leaves us with what should be self apparent:

So, I'm not jumping down the rabbit hole of sovereignty. I'll save that for Politics and other Controversies.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but the Jews are the rightful renters as long as they use the land more effectively as anyone else who desires it.
So who gets to decide what is more effective, and by what standard? The usurper or the present owner/renter. Is it more "effective" to despoil the land with more buildings, factories, strip mines, nuclear waste dumps, eradication of native flora and fauna, or to shepherd the land in such a way that it meets the needs of its inhabitants?

Like I stated before, I haven't read such an arrogant disassembly of the rights of indigenous people since the utterance of Manifest Destiny and the 19th century rights of European imperialist.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 AM

308 posts, read 500,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Rubbish.

1. There is no such thing as a "palastinian".

There are quite a number of DNA studies of Jews and Palestinians. What is clear is that both Palestians and Jews come from the same indigenous population group. The Palestinians demonstrate an admixture of additional Arabic traits; whereas the Jews, whose forbears were not resident in Palestine at the time of the Arab conquest, show other admixtures on top of the indigenous base, Turkic, etc.

2. The Arabs allied with the Nazis during WW2.

Arabs? Who are you talking about, Palestinians?

There was no agreement among the Palestinians as to which side to support in WW 2. Some leaders, thought an Axis victory would end Jewish colonization of Palestine, and supported the Axis. The most prominent of these was the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, who spent WW 2 in Germany and Bosnia. Other Palestinians were not inclined to trust the Axis, and 6,000 Palestinians volunteered to serve in the British forces. Most were inclined to just sit still and wait it out.

3. They lost this territory as war reparations when the Germans surrendered.

Total fantasy. Palestine was never part of any "war reparations."

The British were broke and unable to maintain their forces in what would clearly be an increasingly fractious Palestine at the end of WW2; furthermore, the British public was sick to death of any more of their men and women dying. The British govt asked the U.N. to take over and decide what to do with the old British Palestine Mandate. Many Europeans were anxious to offload their Jewish refugees there, and the Americans for several reasons supported the settlement of Jewish refugees there too. The U.N. decided to partion Palestine into Jewish and Palestinian states with a common economic base, and to keep Jerusalem as in international city. This was in the interests of the Europeans and Americans and was easily voted in.

4. The land was granted to the Jews.

As above, Palestine Mandate was divided into separate areas for Palestinians and for the Jewish minority and a massive influx of European Jewish settlers.
There are actually many Arabs who are Jewish since ancient times. In fact, there are even Palestinean Jews. Some Palestinean Jews still remain in Palestine to this day.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I say because the Jews use the land more effectively than the Palestinians, they are the rightful owners of it. They have created a first world economy out of a less than first world piece of land. It doesn't matter if you were born in some land, it matters what you do with it. And because the Palestinians have not done much with the land, the Jews have justification in kicking them out.
No that's only because the USA established Israel and is feeding it a lot of money.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
From a local paper.

Israel does too often rise to the bait and over-react to Palestinian provocation,but those who use slogans such as 'apartheid state' need to think again.

In 1946 there were nearly one million Jews in Arab countries,today there are fewer than 25,000.

Meanwhile the Arab population in Israel has grown steadily to around 1.5million, about 20 per cent of the population,a quarter of who vote for Zionistic political parties. Seventeen of the 120 members of the Knesset (the Israeli parliment) are Arabs. The new Israeli Ambassador to Norway is Arab.

By all accounts it is not always easy being an Arab in Israel,but most of them are ensured of greater rights and freedoms there than in most of the Islamic states in the Middle East
There are more than 25,000 Jews today living in Arab countries. There are hundreds of thousands of Jews in Arab countries.

It was Israelis that airlifted the Arab Jews to Israel because they wanted to have more numbers and bolstered populations to help promote and support an anti Arab stance. It was all part of political semantics. Many Arab Jews didn't like having to choose between Arabness and Jewishness but USA and other superpowers were trying to divide and conquer. Also the sense of Jewishness that existed pre 1948 is not the same as the semantics of Jewishness and Israel post 1948.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
There are more than 25,000 Jews today living in Arab countries. There are hundreds of thousands of Jews in Arab countries.

Both statement are wrong. In Arab countries there are less than 8000. In non-Arab Muslim countries there are less than 33,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_exodus_from_Arab_and_Muslim_countries
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/talking/jew_refugees.html

Old 10-05-2013, 04:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So who gets to decide what is more effective, and by what standard?
That'll depend on how long the oil (or demand for oil) holds out.

This has consistently proven to be the fulcrum of real politik since the mid 20th century .
Do you invest? Here's the tip: LINK

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
The Real Palestinian Refugee Crisis - The Tower - The Tower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History