Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:53 AM

248 posts, read 615,856 times

Advertisements

I wonder what would have happened if England would have had a land frontier with Germany. They would have been crushed. Who was to blame? Pacifists, appeasement and Front Populaire. The French army was large, but old fashioned. The only general that had a clue about Blitzkrieg was De Gaulle. The French aviation was almost non-existent.

France are Germany are almost the same country nowdays, and during the occupation, France almost became the same country. Most large French industrial conglomerates participated in the German war effort. Any hatred against German people by the French is just anecdotical. Let's not forget that German invaders were very well received by French middle class (leaving aside jingoism, grandeur and assorted French B.S).

French middle class and rich were scared of Front Populaire, some thought that France would become another Spain (where war started when Spain's Frente Popular won the elections).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Does anyone like the french?Always reminhds me of the french in WWII and what every allied commander thought of them. i have never read a positive assessment .
Patton on the French Army:

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."

Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
No, we love the French, but a lot of other countries still do dislike Germans because of the war. Especially Poland does.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,033 times
=
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
The French aviation was almost non-existent.
"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value" -1911- Marshall Ferdinand Foch, French Strategist

Good Call

As for the German's and French not getting along, I think it was best summed up by a German guy I met when I asked if he would ever visit France, his response: "Maybe in a tank"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History