Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng. View Post
The Homo Sapiens appeared in Southern Africa 200.000 years ago. They were very similar to current day Hottentots, not related to any modern African race.

Homo Sapiens arrived in Europe 40.000. In Eurasia there were already two hominids, Neaderthal and a hominid that was discovered recently that disappeared 20.000 years ago. H.S are not related to Neaderthals.
Signs of Neanderthals Mating With Humans - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Neanderthals mated with some modern humans after all and left their imprint in the human genome, a team of biologists has reported in the first detailed analysis of the Neanderthal genetic sequence.

The biologists, led by Svante Paabo of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, have been slowly reconstructing the genome of Neanderthals, the stocky hunters that dominated Europe until 30,000 years ago, by extracting the fragments of DNA that still exist in their fossil bones. Just last year, when the biologists first announced that they had decoded the Neanderthal genome, they reported no significant evidence of interbreeding.

Scientists say they have recovered 60 percent of the genome so far and hope to complete it. By comparing that genome with those of various present day humans, the team concluded that about 1 percent to 4 percent of the genome of non-Africans today is derived from Neanderthals.
As an archaeologist, I am thrilled by this. I have always believed that Neanderthals and modern humans did not live side by side for several thousand years with no interbreeding at all. Nor have I ever agreed with the hypothesis that Homo sapien sapien overwhelmed Neanderthal, driving them to extinction. It has been my contention that the population of Neanderthals was very small compared to anatomically modern humans. Because of this, they were eventually bred out of the contributing gene pool.

A little bit of Neanderthal survives in all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Who knows what it would be like if they were around! They'd probably end up in Geico commercials lol

Old 05-11-2010, 10:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Kele's article raises in my mind the tantalizing suspicion that Europeans inherited their "whiteness" from Neanderthals. Perhaps humans were able to flourish in Europe only because they had acquired cold-weather survival traits from Neanderthal, and those who were the "whitest" (i.e., most Neanderthal) had the advantage.

If there is any validity to the studies that show Europeans have higher IQ's than Africans, that would also raise the unsettling hypothesis that Humans who interbred with Neanderthals gained in intellect. Leading to the even more unsettling conclusion that Neanderthals were smarter than Humans. If, also, Asians have higher IQ than Europeans, perhaps Peking Man was the smartest of all. (But you'd first have to jump over a 400,000-year discrepancy for that one.)

Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
All I know is, UFC would be a much more interesting sport...
I think we found one: And this is after he cuts weight down to 265 lbs.

http://www.completemartialarts.com/w...rocklesnar.jpg

Oh, and if you are wondering how Neanderthals hunted and carried off their dead prey, well here he is doing just that - just skip to the end if you do not want to wait for the few minutes it takes to get there. Love how he just walked off with it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthAmericanHunting

Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 AM

438 posts, read 503,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Kele's article raises in my mind the tantalizing suspicion that Europeans inherited their "whiteness" from Neanderthals. Perhaps humans were able to flourish in Europe only because they had acquired cold-weather survival traits from Neanderthal, and those who were the "whitest" (i.e., most Neanderthal) had the advantage.

If there is any validity to the studies that show Europeans have higher IQ's than Africans, that would also raise the unsettling hypothesis that Humans who interbred with Neanderthals gained in intellect. Leading to the even more unsettling conclusion that Neanderthals were smarter than Humans. If, also, Asians have higher IQ than Europeans, perhaps Peking Man was the smartest of all. (But you'd first have to jump over a 400,000-year discrepancy for that one.)
Neanderthals have always been portrayed as intellectually inferior to Anatomically Modern Humans (AMH) because they did make tools and such, they never attained a degree of sophistication to that of AMH when both were around.

Comparing IQ (a rather dubious measure of anything inherent) to brain size is problematic too because Neanderthals who were supposed to be less smart had bigger brains. This is one of the arguments I recall from College Anthro class .

So now that the recent preliminary reports from Max Planck DNA studies show that Eurasians might have a tiny bit of Neanderthal DNA,suddenly previous accepted thought has changed to now state Neanderthals must have gifted Eurasians with intellectual ability owing to bigger brain size.

The recent articles on Hybridization needs much more time and expert analysis. Even the authors caution against jumping to conclusions and acting on preconceived biases.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I really think I might have dated one in the 60's, but it's all a blur.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post

The recent articles on Hybridization needs much more time and expert analysis. Even the authors caution against jumping to conclusions and acting on preconceived biases.

I always pretty much ignore cautions against jumping to conclusions and acting on preconceived biases. I just do the expert analysis myself, which really cuts down a lot of that 'much more time". If I come out right more than half the time, I consider it a plus.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,337 times
I don't think the Neanderthals would have brainsize enough to compete with the Homo Sapians. They never could have competed with them.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Didn't National Geographic or the History channel or Discovery have a program early this year about this very subject. I had planned to watch it, but something came up at the last minute and I didn't get a chance to set the VCR,....... but, if memory serves me correctly, the commercials for it suggested that maybe Neanderthals did survive and are living amongst us and mingling with our species. Did anyone see that program?
Oh, just go on over to your nearest Wal-Mart and take a look around - I'm not at all certain the Neanderthals are gone.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
Acording to this article, they are still around.. and we are them
Neanderthals and Humans Share DNA, New Study Reveals - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History