U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM

27,235 posts, read 44,929,610 times

Advertisements

Through this show, I learned a very interesting story about Derbyline, Vermont. At one point, the town straddled the U.S.-Canadian boundary. Still does, actually, but since 9/11, there's a move to erect gates and control the border with Canada when previously, it was simple to walk down the street into the other country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM

559 posts, read 1,695,496 times
that was an interesting show. never knew there was a state called franklin.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:11 PM

42,661 posts, read 82,662,872 times
I looked at the aerial photo of the town. There is a row of houses in the USA, and their driveways all lead to a street in Canada. I bet its really frustrating when you shovel out your driveway in the US and a Canadian snowplow fills it back in.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 PM

10,045 posts, read 15,744,059 times
I didn't catch all of that show but liked what I did see. TK I remember seeing a story on the news a LONG time ago about some town in New England where the border with down the middle of the town. Some people had to go through the border check station, or whatever you call it. just to go to the store down the street. lol

Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 PM

Their library is actually built right over the border. Inside, the border is inconsequential.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:40 PM

23,417 posts, read 35,310,852 times
Does anyone know when that show will be on again?
I missed it, and there was some interesting stuff on it about the area I am from.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,750,903 times
The border of many states is set by where the Mississippii river is. The problem with that is the river keeps shifting its banks. At one point in the fifties it moved one of the major airports on the river (can't remember which one any more) formally into another state (that was ignored of course).

Franklin was not really a state. People in E TN wanted to leave the state during the Civil War but (unlike WV) this never happened.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
The border of many states is set by where the Mississippii river is. The problem with that is the river keeps shifting its banks. At one point in the fifties it moved one of the major airports on the river (can't remember which one any more) formally into another state (that was ignored of course).

Franklin was not really a state. People in E TN wanted to leave the state during the Civil War but (unlike WV) this never happened.
Yep, they mentioned Kaskaskia, IL. Actually, what's left of it is serviced by post office in Missouri, but the residents' driver's licenses are from Illinois.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 AM

42,661 posts, read 82,662,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
At one point in the fifties it moved one of the major airports on the river (can't remember which one any more) formally into another state (that was ignored of course).

That was St. Joseph, Missouri, on the altered course of the Missouri River. Kansas and Missouri spent several decades in treaty negotiations to work out exactly where the new state line was.

Kaskaskia, Illinois, is on the wrong side of the Mississippi. From Kaskaskia, you have to go on dry land into St. Mary's Missouri, in order to get to a bridge that goes back into Illinois.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:27 PM

23,417 posts, read 35,310,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yep, they mentioned Kaskaskia, IL. Actually, what's left of it is serviced by post office in Missouri, but the residents' driver's licenses are from Illinois.
My best friends sister runs that route, not that there are really many residents there anymore.
That was the part of the show I was interested in, my ancestors settled there almost 300 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History