Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 AM

472 posts, read 925,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, WW2 may have been avoided, that's a positive.

I think a lot of the post war would have depended on the peace that followed and how heavy the concessions were. I think you would have seen Britain lose colonies in Africa, but retain the rest of the Empire. France would have been humbled and most likely paid the highest price losing virtually all of it's remaining colonies.
And Italy as well, assuming it was still on the Allied side.

For Britain, much depends on how the submarine war goes. If France falls and her ports become available to the Germans, it could get quite grim, since (esp in the southern approaches) far more uboats can now be on station at any given time, so that losses in a "restricted" sub war might be as high as they actually became in the unrestricted one. Surface warships could also be brought into play, and Zeppelins used for reconaissance, to direct them to any convoy which looked too well protected for the subs to deal with. If shortages of food and fuel oil get really severe, our peace treaty could be nearly as bad as France's, esp if a (still neutral) US is getting fed up with the disruption of trade, and regards an early peace as more important than how many colonies the British Empire may lose.

Quote:
Russia would be the wild card. Germany gained huge amounts of territory in the Armistice with the Soviets it would be interesting to see how they would have handled that and whether they could have succesfully integrated those territories. I think you would see a "Cold War" exist between the Soviets and the Germans for who would dominate Eastern Europe.
I was rather assuming that the Soviet regime wouldn't be long for this world. The Germans will look around for some White commander who will ratify the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk in return for German help to overthrow the Bolsheviks. I fear, though, that the resulting Russian state would be little if any pleasanter to live in than the SU - especially if you happened to be Jewish.

Quote:
I think the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires would have collapsed anyway after a while. This would be one area that has the potential for igniting further wars and leading to a bloody mess depending on how hard the empires tried to hold themselves together.
Germany has the last word there. She will probably favour the status quo if it doesn't cost her too much, and as long as those two empires act like good little satellites. Should they start getting the idea that they are really independent, Berlin could soon decide that they are "anachronisms" after all, in which case they probably cease to exist rather quickly. In the case of A/H, the "German" provinces (which in contemoporary parlance would include today's Czech Rep and Slovenia) get absorbed by the Reich, Hungary declares independence (perhaps taking a spare Hohenzollern as its king) and Galicia is tacked on to a Polish puppet state. What becomes of Croatia and Bosnia is unclear, but will probably be messy.

Turkey's fate is much less certain, but she probably gets reduced to something like her modern boundaries, with the Arab lands being chopped off into one or more German satellites. If Ibn Saud has reached a deal with the victorious Kaiser, he may be allowed to carry off the Hejaz, so that Saudi Arabia still happens much as we know it.

Quote:
The U.S. may have simply been content to turn inward again and ignore European affairs. However, conflict with Japan would seem to be unavoidable as the U.S. worked to check Japanese expansion and interests.

I'm sure we would have seen further wars, but they would most likely have been localized conflicts and not necessarily "world war" in scope.
Agreed.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Also...If Germany had won WW I, it would have been the French going about rounding up their Jews.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Who knows no one was right about WWI and the changes.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Also...If Germany had won WW I, it would have been the French going about rounding up their Jews.
Maybe, maybe not, but given Russia's recent history, she is (esp under a White regime) about the likeliest candidate for a Holocaust-type event, whether on the same scale as OTL's or not.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
The most obvious good result would have been no Hitler, no Nazi party, no Third Reich, no World War 11. The possible bad result; an unbloodied by war Soviet Union bent on conquests. Perhaps war would have started with the Soviets launching an attack to their west, or even worse, nuclear war with the West.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 AM

604 posts, read 750,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
The most obvious good result would have been no Hitler, no Nazi party, no Third Reich, no World War 11. The possible bad result; an unbloodied by war Soviet Union bent on conquests. Perhaps war would have started with the Soviets launching an attack to their west, or even worse, nuclear war with the West.

For future references use capital "i"'s for World War II
thought you were saying something else

Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Playing on what BlackShoe said, wasn't that the setup for the game Command and Conquer: Red Alert? Hitler is killed, so no WW2 and it ends up being the Soviets invading the west that triggers the war with Britain, Germany, France and the U.S. allied against them.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post

If the "Soviets" exist except as a few exiles plotting in garretts. See my earlier messages

Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
I don't think the Soviet Russia would have been much of a threat to Greater Germany, had Germany won the war. Germans would make sure that the farmlands and coal mines of Ukraine would not be in Russian hands. Ottoman Empire would probably take the oil fields in Baku. Without those resources and the manpower, without any allies, it would not be able to challenge Germany in any meaningful way.

Germany would undoubtedly be the unchallenged superpower in Europe, with the entire continent to a greater or lesser extent under their influence. Great Britain would have the most independence but eventually its economy would no longer be able to afford to keep up the naval arms race and it would become yet another German satellite. Its only chance would be to ally with the US in hopes that the US Navy would come to its rescue.

Anyway, looks very much like the Eurasia/Eastasia/Oceania set up. How things would play out in the Pacific I'm not really sure.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
For future references use capital "i"'s for World War II
thought you were saying something else
If and when I choose to do so, not when you say so. You damn well knew what was meant. You are not the composition policeman. Got it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History