Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:25 PM

252 posts, read 124,424 times

Advertisements

Would anyone like to recommend some? I am looking at what I have to recommend something as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 02:17 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,746,529 times
US History:

Anne Hyde, Empires, Nations, and Families: A New History of the North American West, 1800-1860
Kathleen Duval, Independence Lost: Lives on the Edge of the American Revolution
H.W. Brands, American Colossus
Edward Ayres, In the Presence of Mine Enemies: War in the Heart of America, 1859-1863
Frances Fitzgerald, Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam

Old 07-10-2017, 06:34 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,334,854 times
Do you have any time period or part of the world in mind?

Old 07-10-2017, 07:18 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,933,197 times
Yeah you have to be much more specific, and I don't understand your second sentence.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 AM

252 posts, read 124,424 times
19th and 20th century preferably. My second sentence was saying I was trying to look at my books to see what I could suggest as well.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,645,057 times
Edmund Morris' biographies of Teddy Roosevelt.
Roy Jenkins' biography of Churchill.
David Halbertsam's The Fifties. (Actually probably anything by Halberstam, one of our greatest popular historians.)
Alistair Horne's books on military history.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,933,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorablePopulist View Post
19th and 20th century preferably. My second sentence was saying I was trying to look at my books to see what I could suggest as well.
Still...so many choices.
For Civil War I enjoyed the narrative-like Shelby Foote collection, very popular and readable, although there are literally thousands, tens of thousands, of good histories.
For European Napoleonics there is Chandler's "Campaign's of Napoleon" as the definitive account but that is very expensive and may be overwhelming.
For WW2 you will find various approachable and easy to get into "pop-histories" by Stephen Ambrose, which I enjoy. Ambrose of course touches on a variety of historical topics, I also have one on the Lewis and Clarke expedition. Once again thousands of good choices regarding WW2.
Also for WW2 I enjoy Anthony Beevor's history that gives eastern front WW2 histories that don't get much publicity, still from a western viewpoint.
Don't dismiss biographies and autobiographies. Recently discussed here was Ulysses S. Grant's biography.
The above is focused on military conflicts but don't dismiss other historical periods or more minor conflicts.

I avoid those books that give a modern revisionist view of historical events, i.e. those that try to give a moral opinion or "Monday morning quarterback" view. Avoid those like the plague. You will know them when you see them. You will only find biased history there.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:42 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
I would offer Dreadnaught by Robert Massie, a story about the colossal miscalculation by Kaiser Wilhelm II to create a navy to rival Great Britain before World War I. Never more than a case of national vanity, the German shipbuilding program presented such an existential threat to the British that they formed an alliance with the French, their historical enemies. We don't think about it today, but the shift of the British from the Germans to the French was a titanic one in world affairs and ultimately prevented Germany from achieving another quick victory over France and, ultimately, led to their defeat. A classic violation of the principal of Conservation of Enemies.

So important was Britain's need for the Royal Navy's dominance in home waters, that Winston Churchill described Admiral Jellicoe as "the only man on either side who could lose the war in an afternoon."

Old 07-10-2017, 10:36 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,364,823 times
I'll second the recommendation of Halberstam, and add Barbara Tuchman; and for a broad=base source that could lead to more-specific works. the Oxford History of the American People.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:57 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,933,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I would offer Dreadnaught by Robert Massie, a story about the colossal miscalculation by Kaiser Wilhelm II to create a navy to rival Great Britain before World War I. Never more than a case of national vanity, the German shipbuilding program presented such an existential threat to the British that they formed an alliance with the French, their historical enemies. We don't think about it today, but the shift of the British from the Germans to the French was a titanic one in world affairs and ultimately prevented Germany from achieving another quick victory over France and, ultimately, led to their defeat. A classic violation of the principal of Conservation of Enemies.

So important was Britain's need for the Royal Navy's dominance in home waters, that Winston Churchill described Admiral Jellicoe as "the only man on either side who could lose the war in an afternoon."
Germany's diplomatic actions before the war were very shortsighted, it seems like almost everything the Kaiser did served to diplomatically isolate Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History