Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In that the above groups featured no written records, exactly how would anyone know what was done deliberately or unintentionally by them?

Please inform us of the historical evidence which you have discovered which reveals Neanderthal or Cro Magnon intent with regard to the spreading of disease.

Oh, as long as you are doing that, you could also tell us how these folks who believed that diseases were caused by evil spirits and petulant gods, managed to transfer those spirits in their genocidal victims.

Thank you.
The Romans documented using poxed corpses against cities under siege.
The Mongols and the crusaders also did so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Romans documented using poxed corpses against cities under siege.
The Mongols and the crusaders also did so.
I wasn't asking about them, was I? I was asking how pre literate socities could have left behind records of specific actions and intentions.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I wasn't asking about them, was I? I was asking how pre literate socities could have left behind records of specific actions and intentions.
You are trying to make a point that you have already lost. How many carthiginians have you run into?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Actually you are wrong on both counts, there is evidence of intentionally introducing smallbox on the Cheyenne, Iroquis and others. Army Blankets were used in Colorado.
The Neanderthals did bump into Homo Sapiens, disease or no disease the only ones you see are on Geico commercials
Please provide links to citations that attribute smallpox deaths to blankets, other than references to Jeffrey Amherst and his famous letters suggesting it as a possibility, but for which there is no historically credible evidence.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
You are trying to make a point that you have already lost. How many carthiginians have you run into?
Are you as dense as you appear to be? Do you not understand the question? Do you not understand your own statement?

You postulated pre historic peoples as having deliberately employed germ warfare. I am inquiring as to how our knowing such a thing could be possible. They knew nothing about germ theory, and they left behind no written records of any sort. Your assertion is based on what? What is the evidence being used to reveal this?

Your last two responses suggest that you are utterly unaware that you have made a preposterous statement, you certainly have not addressed my complaint.

So...how about it? Do you have an answer?

Here was your statement to which I responded:
Quote:
Neanderthals, Cro magnans, In many of those cases infectious diseases were deliberately introduced and thus were weapons of genocide
I am asking how you, or anyone, could possibly know such a thing. The only relevant responses from you would be either:
1) A presentation of the evidence for the above assertion

or

2) An admission on your part that you simply made this up and have no basis for asserting it.

So...which is it?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Please provide links to citations that attribute smallpox deaths to blankets, other than references to Jeffrey Amherst and his famous letters suggesting it as a possibility, but for which there is no historically credible evidence.
Seconded. The disregard for Natives by the British is not in question, but this pernicious rumor has never been shown to be any more than that.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:05 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
Of course they have! You are talking about ethnic groups and I think the Roman's were responsible for wiping out several but Genghis Khan of the Mongols was worse. He wiped out so many that they can't be counted because documents do not exist. All what they know is that he use to go into villages and towns and kill anyone taller than the middle of a wheel. So basically anyone taller than two and half feet. Which left many kids left and they were defenseless against whatever they came across.

It use to happen often. Now not so often thankfully. But actually the whole human race is in a serious danger, most just don't see it.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Genghis Khan of the Mongols was worse. He wiped out so many that they can't be counted because documents do not exist. All what they know is that he use to go into villages and towns and kill anyone taller than the middle of a wheel. .

The Russian semi-historical film "Mongol" (where you apparently saw that) ran 126 minutes. How can you say that one isolated scene in that picture is the ONLY thing that is known about Genghis Khan? Even that portrayal is probably fictional, since there is no historically credible evidence that the practice was widespread, if it ever happened at all. I would like to see a citation attesting to that incident that predates the 2007 release of that picture.

Quote:
But actually the whole human race is in a serious danger, most just don't see it.
And just who is going to commit this genocide that will exterminate the whole human race?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-17-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Russian semi-historical film "Mongol" (where you apparently saw that) ran 126 minutes. How can you say that one isolated scene in that picture is the ONLY thing that is known about Genghis Khan? Even that portrayal is probably fictional, since there is no historically credible evidence that the practice was widespread, if it ever happened at all. I would like to see a citation attesting to that incident that predates the 2007 release of that picture.
Nope. Not the film the tv show on the history channel.

Quote:
And just who is going to commit this genocide that will exterminate the whole human race?
I think since we have become more knowledgeable and have been keeping better records. We have seen the male losing his sperm count as generations have been passing. And we have seen more women incapable of bearing children. Its a slow and sure death of the whole race.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Nope. Not the film the tv show on the history channel.

I think since we have become more knowledgeable and have been keeping better records. We have seen the male losing his sperm count as generations have been passing. And we have seen more women incapable of bearing children. Its a slow and sure death of the whole race.
I think the abortion rate and the skyrocketing sales of birth control devices and the number of unwed mothers and abandoned moms indicates that the sperm count is still quite a bit higher than most people would like it to be.

The History Channel episode last week was re-edited, and not identical to the 2004 version. Was there a reference in the original to the wagon-wheel? How could the wagon wheel detail have ever survived all these years, from unwritten sources that were never more than legend in the first place?

This falls in the category with the widely-dispersed idea that Genghis killed 1,748,000 people in a single hour. First of all the concept of an "hour" did not exist in the 13th century, and was surely unknown to any of Genghis' chroniclers. And how accurate could the count have been. The census of American cities in the 21st century isn't even that accurate. Second, there is no evidence that Genghis was even at or near Nishapur at the time. They make colorful myths, but beyond Sunday School, they don't stand up to historical scrutiny.

In the past, every time I have tried to independently verify things that I saw on the history channel, I found that I could not---they were unsupportable contentions, presented as if they were historically authenticated. Same goes for the Science Channel and Discovery.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-18-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History