U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 AM

1,503 posts, read 992,266 times

Advertisements

Nevada also has some Basque. You're right I think there are pockets all over the western US. You don't see them much on the east coast. Perhaps they are more assimilated here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,714,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
I like to read about the Basque and R1B origins. First R1B was thought to originate in the Iberian peninsula , now it seems that R1B originated in the Near East . I haven't read anything that says R1B comes from the Black Sea area.

The language is obviously a holdout from indigenous West Europeans.

Could R1B be themale haplotype of the pre IndoEuropeans males?

or

Could R1B carrying males be responsible for spreading Indo European language in Western Europe?

The Basque have very high R1B frequencies, higher than the majority of Western Euro Indo European speakers, with only the Irish having higher percentages. So assuming the R1B clades found in Western Europe is associated with Indo European expansion, it is odd that the Basque retain their pre Indo-European language, because you would think the IE males would never acquiesce to retaining the old non IE tongue.

R1B like any haplogroup is older than a language associated with it. While R1B is concentrated in Western Europe, it is found in West Central Africa and an older R1B is found in the Near East.
Yeap there's info out there going along with the Caspian Sea region theory which is the one i currently agree with or at least for the moment although the Iberian theory is interesting to ponder about as well.

We do know that R1b is all over europe including in the Ukraine, Western Russia, Turkey and the Middle East although in low numbers as they most likely started out in those far eastern regions and then slowly migrated west and carrying their R1b with them into europe and not the other way around from Iberia going east to the Caspian Sea as i haven't seen any studies showing a european eastern migration in large numbers.

As for their language while i know they don't speak in the Indo-European branch i wonder if they have any similarities of words with any of the forms of Gaelic since they and the ''Celts'' lived in many of the same areas.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,295,740 times
I have to say this is the most interesting thread for me that I have ever seen on CD. Thanks 6 FOOT 3. I have Basque lineage on my paternal grandfathers side that our family has traced all the way back to Northern Spain. I have never thought about genetic testing until this tread. California is full of pockets of Basques especially in the Central Valley and Eastern Sierra.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM

17,444 posts, read 25,225,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
You might post an inquiry in the California Forum. Forgive me if I am not correct but while in Bakersfield ? a few years ago I watch an hour long local PBS show about the Basques. They came there over 100 years ago as sheep herders and much of the Traditional Culture is intact. I have friends who are Basque, but they are in Spain.
Basques have been living in California since it was one of the most remote outposts of the Spanish Empire. They were comfortable with living in remote areas and grazing livestock. However, the Basque fishing tradition somehow didn't seem to take root in the Western US as much as it did in Chile, another remote outpost of the Spanish empire which Basques flocked to. (Perhaps it did take root in California but was obliterated by the massive migrations into California.)

Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho also have significant Basque populations. According to Mark Kurlansky's "Basque History Of The World", the only Basque (Euskera) word commonly used in American English is "honcho" ("jantxo", meaning a large landowner), due to Americans encountering Basques in the Old West. The University of Nevada has the largest Basque Studies department in the US.

Basques also went to what is now Northern Mexico and Argentina for the same reasons. I may be wrong about this but Basques in Argentina tended to go to the rural areas rather than Buenos Aires due to their culture's traditions.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,714,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I have to say this is the most interesting thread for me that I have ever seen on CD. Thanks 6 FOOT 3. I have Basque lineage on my paternal grandfathers side that our family has traced all the way back to Northern Spain. I have never thought about genetic testing until this tread. California is full of pockets of Basques especially in the Central Valley and Eastern Sierra.
Well i'm glad you are enjoying the thread

Also did you know that the first emperor of Mexico, Iturbide I (1823-1824) father was a Basque from Spain

Old 05-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well i'm glad you are enjoying the thread

Also did you know that the first emperor of Mexico, Iturbide I (1823-1824) father was a Basque from Spain
Yes I did and his name hits very close to home. Thanks

Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yes I did and his name hits very close to home. Thanks
You're Iturbide XXX?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
You're Iturbide XXX?
Not that close. LOL

Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm sure you genetic history buffs have seen this. But just in case I thought it pertained very well to the original post.
How the Neanderthals became the Basques

Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you genetic history buffs have seen this. But just in case I thought it pertained very well to the original post.
How the Neanderthals became the Basques
Now that's silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History