U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,475,977 times
Reputation: 3304

Advertisements

I always liked the idea that they were the only remnant left of the Eurasian people who failed to domesticate the horse, and while everyone else was conquered by the horse domesticators and thus lost their language the BAsques kept fleeing west until finally finding land where they could survive. Doubt it holds up to modern knowledge though
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM
 
13,138 posts, read 37,788,089 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I'm sure you genetic history buffs have seen this. But just in case I thought it pertained very well to the original post.
How the Neanderthals became the Basques
Thanks for that link Bulldogdad as that was interesting however i do disagree with the author's take that blood type A and B originated in africa as i tend to agree with D'Adamo's studies of blood type origins of type O in africa, type A in the middle east and type B in asia although again the author made some real interesting observations on basque appearance and language.

Speaking of neanderthals they say that they are short stature and powerfully built as i could have swear that Mike Tyson fits that description
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM
 
25,627 posts, read 32,434,105 times
Reputation: 23164
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks for that link Bulldogdad as that was interesting however i do disagree with the author's take that blood type A and B originated in africa as i tend to agree with D'Adamo's studies of blood type origins of type O in africa, type A in the middle east and type B in asia although again the author made some real interesting observations on basque appearance and language.

Speaking of neanderthals they say that they are short stature and powerfully built as i could have swear that Mike Tyson fits that description
I thought it was interesting as well. Even though I had not a damn clue as to the scientific arguments. This post has peaked my interest like nothing else in quite sometime. Again thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Charleston
488 posts, read 929,401 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Well i'm glad you are enjoying the thread

Also did you know that the first emperor of Mexico, Iturbide I (1823-1824) father was a Basque from Spain
Simon Bolivar, the George Washington of South America was of Basque ancestry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Georgia
897 posts, read 1,528,103 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Along the same lines of the thread about the ''Who Were the Sea Peoples'' and while none of us on here probably know the answer as to who the Basques are and where they come from however i'm still interested in everyone's take . (Yes that's you also neng )

A few things we do know and that is the Basque males are very high in Y-DNA R1b as that tells me that they did arrive somewhere east of the Black Sea region and migrated on a southernly route through Anatolia where they crossed into europe and made their way northwest eventually to the Basque region and then possibly migrated north to the ''celtic countries'' later on. However the females are highest in mtDNA that is still considered Paleo Europeans (along with the Sami's) and on top of that their language is a non Indo-European.

So if the males were migrating nomads and the females are Iberian hunter gatherer's then what happened to the Basque males ?? Did the migrating invaders kill off all the males and intermingle with the females and hence we have such a separation of the DNA between male and female as no other group has such a high proportion of this with exception to the Scandanavian Sami who's females are similar to Basque females.

As for their language ... well i assume the migrating males shunned their Indo-European tongue(s) and adopted the female tongue of those Paleo Basques. I'm still perplexed as to how they remained so isolated from all the different migrating peoples over the thousands of years to keep their ancient mtDNA and Basque tongue??
They could be the Celtic people who lived in Spain during it's conquest by Rome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM
 
5,510 posts, read 5,025,359 times
Reputation: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Along the same lines of the thread about the ''Who Were the Sea Peoples'' and while none of us on here probably know the answer as to who the Basques are and where they come from however i'm still interested in everyone's take . (Yes that's you also neng )

A few things we do know and that is the Basque males are very high in Y-DNA R1b as that tells me that they did arrive somewhere east of the Black Sea region and migrated on a southernly route through Anatolia where they crossed into europe and made their way northwest eventually to the Basque region and then possibly migrated north to the ''celtic countries'' later on. However the females are highest in mtDNA that is still considered Paleo Europeans (along with the Sami's) and on top of that their language is a non Indo-European.

So if the males were migrating nomads and the females are Iberian hunter gatherer's then what happened to the Basque males ?? Did the migrating invaders kill off all the males and intermingle with the females and hence we have such a separation of the DNA between male and female as no other group has such a high proportion of this with exception to the Scandanavian Sami who's females are similar to Basque females.

As for their language ... well i assume the migrating males shunned their Indo-European tongue(s) and adopted the female tongue of those Paleo Basques. I'm still perplexed as to how they remained so isolated from all the different migrating peoples over the thousands of years to keep their ancient mtDNA and Basque tongue??
Have there been any physical anthropological studies on the population throughout the millenium?

Non-metric traits are genetically determined and can be used to determine population affinities.

The best way to get to the bottom of the Basques is to look at what linguistics, archaeology, genetics and physical anthropology say about their origins.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,342,244 times
Reputation: 475
The basques (northern spaniards) are the purest western Europeans. The Basque whale hunters are the daddys of the English, Irish, Welsh, and Scots.

http://racialreality.110mb.com/basques.html


"The genetic evidence shows that three quarters of our ancestors came to this corner of Europe as hunter-gatherers, between 15,000 and 7,500 years ago, after the melting of the ice caps but before the land broke away from the mainland and divided into islands. Our subsequent separation from Europe has preserved a genetic time capsule of southwestern Europe during the ice age, which we share most closely with the former ice-age refuge in the Basque country. The first settlers were unlikely to have spoken a Celtic language but possibly a tongue related to the unique Basque language.

Another wave of immigration arrived during the Neolithic period, when farming developed about 6,500 years ago. But the English still derive most of their current gene pool from the same early Basque source as the Irish, Welsh and Scots. These figures are at odds with the modern perceptions of Celtic and Anglo-Saxon ethnicity based on more recent invasions. There were many later invasions, as well as less violent immigrations, and each left a genetic signal, but no individual event contributed much more than 5 per cent to our modern genetic mix."

The largest population of basques outside Spain and France is located in Argentina. 10% of the Argentine population have Basque ancestry, a country that is 97% unmixed caucasian, the most European homogenous outside Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_diaspora

Last edited by Edu983; 07-09-2010 at 12:24 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,342,244 times
Reputation: 475
Basques are said to be genetically superior... High IQ levels, excellent warriors and hunters, and that's why the Basque country was never invaded/conquered.

Simon Bolivar is the most obvious example of a new worlder Americano of Basque ancestry. He liberated 5 American countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simón_...Bolivar_family

Last edited by Edu983; 07-09-2010 at 12:05 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 AM
 
13,138 posts, read 37,788,089 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
They could be the Celtic people who lived in Spain during it's conquest by Rome.
Most likely not as they (basque) speak a non indo european tongue.

Interesting that Basques and the ''Celtic'' nations are the highest in R1b hapolgrouping althought that probably do to both of their migrations from the Black Sea down thru Anatolia and continue migrating westward until they hit the sea.

I'm curious if the Basques have high rates of Celiac disease and also are not lactose intolerant as those same northen Celtic nations ??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
 
13,138 posts, read 37,788,089 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Have there been any physical anthropological studies on the population throughout the millenium?

Non-metric traits are genetically determined and can be used to determine population affinities.

The best way to get to the bottom of the Basques is to look at what linguistics, archaeology, genetics and physical anthropology say about their origins.
Well their linguistics don't really match up with any world region (language isolate) from my understanding and as for their genetics the males carry some of the highest of the western euro haplogrouping R1b although the females are high in mt DNA Haplogroup V which is considered ancient (paleo) and are similar to the paleo Sami females.

Again just my thought and theory that the migrating males R1b migrated with no females into Iberia and intergrated with the paleo females. The big mystery is what happened to the paleo basque males there?? Hmm ....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top