Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Nevada also has some Basque. You're right I think there are pockets all over the western US. You don't see them much on the east coast. Perhaps they are more assimilated here.
From what I have gathered, most of the Basques in the West, at least in Nevada, came from France, not Spain. On the East Coast there are plenty of people with Basque surnames, but they are from Latin America, not Europe and I am pretty sure they don't self-identify as Basques.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

There are some Basque words that are also found in Japanese, which is one of the linguistic mysteries that no one has ever been able to figure out. The most common theory has to do with the Ainu, but it still seems inexplicable.
That is bizarre!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 AM

9 posts, read 21,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
6, I think Jack Lubell has done work on the physical anthropological studies on the Iberian population over time.

I prefer physical anthropology over genetics to understand population history because you can actually compare how populations change over time and make comparisons with living people. You can also find out when a demographic shift occurred.

Ancient DNA has made some progress but there is still the problem of contamination.

If memory serves me correct in terms of physical anthropology, the Basques, and Iberians in general, have links both to modern Europeans and ancient Iberian populations going back at least to Mesolithic times.
gl

The Spanish population is barely the same existing in western European population, R1b..being Basque, Catalans, Wales and Scottish the population with higher R1b. The ancient populations before Indoeuropeans - R1B - are practically inexistent....those populations existing some 7.000 years ago.

Basque are a culture, not a race, it just happens than Basque, Asturians and Mountain people have a high degree of consanguinity and all have a family look. Also, historical Basques mentioned by Romans were removed from the Basque country by Romans, and the Basque country was settled by two Celtic-culture tribes that assimilated the ancient culture.

So all the Basque stuff (race, etc) is mostly Romantic and Hypernationalits stuff created by a quack called Sabino Arana.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
6, I think Jack Lubell has done work on the physical anthropological studies on the Iberian population over time.
Actually, one should check out the physical anthropological reports by Mary Jackes & David Lubell.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM

205 posts, read 520,392 times
They are just like any population of inbreds. Spain and Western Europe, and I guess the US (Appalachians, Ozarks) have pockets of inbreds. Those are populations that have been isolated during many centuries, living in little hamlets in which everybody is family.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM

If memory serves me correct, I believe there are some scripts in Iberia that are not related to Latin or Hellenic writing systems.

Have any of them been fully deciphered and if so, what is their relationship to the basque language?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
If memory serves me correct, I believe there are some scripts in Iberia that are not related to Latin or Hellenic writing systems.

Have any of them been fully deciphered and if so, what is their relationship to the basque language?
Kov

From my understanding the ''ancient iberian'' texts were somewhat related to the seafaring Phoenician's as they mined and/or traded in Iberia for it's precious metals way before there was any Latin, Hellenic or Celtic writing systems.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Foot Three View Post
Kov

From my understanding the ''ancient iberian'' texts were somewhat related to the seafaring Phoenician's as they mined and/or traded in Iberia for it's precious metals way before there was any Latin, Hellenic or Celtic writing systems.
Have they been deciphered and are there any links with the modern Basque language?

Might also be fruitful to check out the Minoan scripts and if there exists any, that of the Estruscans.

That might provide clues to the origin of the Basque language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History