Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times

Advertisements

I became intrigued with the Battle of Agincourt a few years ago and have read a lot of information concerning it online and then became really engaged after reading Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction novel "Agincourt". Cornwell referenced Juliet Barker's book and historical account of the battle so have that on order. Has anyone read this book and specifically read this book and compared it to Agincourt 1415: The Archers' Story by Anne Curry and Robert Hardy? From what I understand there are differences in the accounts of the battle specifically with muster rolls and head counts of the troops.

Also, this has spawned an interest in the Battle of Crecy as well. I have not been able to find much reading material on this but I did come across a historical fiction book called Kemp : The Road to Crecy by Daniel Hall with a subsequent follow up. If anyone has read these or has information they would like to share on the battle, please do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
1/3 of John Keegan's book "The Face of Battle" is devoted to Angicourt. A very well written account.

I have not read any other detailed account of the battle however. I know that Keegan clarified the killing of prisoners that happened during/after the battle, and detailed very clearly why the french lost the battle (not because of superior fire from the english archers, as very few of the armoured french were killed by arrow, but a combination of other factors).

Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
1/3 of John Keegan's book "The Face of Battle" is devoted to Angicourt. A very well written account.

I have not read any other detailed account of the battle however. I know that Keegan clarified the killing of prisoners that happened during/after the battle, and detailed very clearly why the french lost the battle (not because of superior fire from the english archers, as very few of the armoured french were killed by arrow, but a combination of other factors).
Dd,

I have seen that book on Amazon too but had it down my list. I have also watched some interesting videos on YouTube as well. One was a visit to the actual battle site by 2 historians who did analysis of the terrain and the steep slope of the field towards the woods. Another one had Curry speaking as well and she had reviewed the muster rolls and how detailed Henry was in his organization including not paying 4 archers who could not release the required 10 arrows in a minute.

The one thing that remains the biggest contention is the number of troops involved. Agreed on the other circumstances having more of a direct outcome on the battle. Crecy seemed to be more of a display of the superiority of the long bow but again, holding the high ground showed its distinct advantage in that battle.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Dd714...Thanks.. I just ordered the book from the library. I have read several of John Keegans's books... I bought "The First World War" after reading it.. a great book...I'll probably end up buying this one,too

Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The title of this thread sounds like a couple of General Motors models marketed in Canada in the 1960s.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Dd,

I have seen that book on Amazon too but had it down my list. I have also watched some interesting videos on YouTube as well. One was a visit to the actual battle site by 2 historians who did analysis of the terrain and the steep slope of the field towards the woods. Another one had Curry speaking as well and she had reviewed the muster rolls and how detailed Henry was in his organization including not paying 4 archers who could not release the required 10 arrows in a minute.

The one thing that remains the biggest contention is the number of troops involved. Agreed on the other circumstances having more of a direct outcome on the battle. Crecy seemed to be more of a display of the superiority of the long bow but again, holding the high ground showed its distinct advantage in that battle.
Keegan downplays the effect of the longbow, except for it's phycological effect. 15th century armour was steel, the relatively arrow vulnerable iron mail was replaced only 50 years previously, the steel was very able to deflect an arrow at the upwards, then downward trajectory they were being shot at. But it did keep the knights "buttoned up" so that they were forced to close their face shields and suffer in a hot and smothering suit of armour over 1/2 a mile of muddy field. It also compelled the French to attack in the first place.

Most of the causalties inflicted by the longbowman were ironically done in hand to hand combat against exhuasted french knights, too bunched up be able to swing a blade or lance, to tired to even lift a sword, unable to even get back up if they tripped, unable to retreat with the advancing soldiers behind them. The stakes that the Longbowman laid out also kept them from being trampled by French horsemen.

It's particularly gruesome how one kills a fully armoured soldier. They are easy to knock down, but to actually finish them one has to find an opening in the armor - get on top of them while they are down and stick a dagger into the air holes of the face plate and push, or into the arm pit and groin gaps and, again, push in a blade. Or a well place mallet blow to the helmet will sometimes crack the skull. It's a very deliberate act.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Keegan downplays the effect of the longbow, except for it's phycological effect. 15th century armour was steel, the relatively arrow vulnerable iron mail was replaced only 50 years previously, the steel was very able to deflect an arrow at the upwards, then downward trajectory they were being shot at. But it did keep the knights "buttoned up" so that they were forced to close their face shields and suffer in a hot and smothering suit of armour over 1/2 a mile of muddy field. It also compelled the French to attack in the first place.

Most of the causalties inflicted by the longbowman were ironically done in hand to hand combat against exhuasted french knights, too bunched up be able to swing a blade or lance, to tired to even lift a sword, unable to even get back up if they tripped, unable to retreat with the advancing soldiers behind them. The stakes that the Longbowman laid out also kept them from being trampled by French horsemen.

It's particularly gruesome how one kills a fully armoured soldier. They are easy to knock down, but to actually finish them one has to find an opening in the armor - get on top of them while they are down and stick a dagger into the air holes of the face plate and push, or into the arm pit and groin gaps and, again, push in a blade. Or a well place mallet blow to the helmet will sometimes crack the skull. It's a very deliberate act.
I think that the subject of the type of arrow is largely discussed in some of these books too and its effect on the French armor. The bodkin arrow according to some would penetrate the armor while there was other contention that the point would flatten out upon impact. I know that regardless getting hit with one of these could knock a knight for a loop.

Cornwell's Agincourt book, while fictional, portrays a very draining picture of what you described. The exhaustion and heat and the mud taking its toll. Well worth the read and quite the nice ending too.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,864,617 times
To me what is remarkable is that while more than a century apart the technology and tactics had not changed all that much. Artillery played no major role at the battle for example.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
To me what is remarkable is that while more than a century apart the technology and tactics had not changed all that much. Artillery played no major role at the battle for example.
I believe the first cannon used in battle occurred at Crecy and you are correct, there was no cannon still at Agincourt some 70 years later.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I believe the first cannon used in battle occurred at Crecy and you are correct, there was no cannon still at Agincourt some 70 years later.
The French had a few pieces of cannon on the flanks, almost totally useless and not a factor in the battle at all, but they were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History