U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,101,956 times

Advertisements

BBC News - Bloody Sunday report will be published on 15 June

This will be a very interesting report, when it is released. My understanding is the Brits paid over 200 million pounds doing this investigation. That is close to 500 million dollars...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 03:41 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,208,543 times
And it's not the first one. Just keep holding enquiries until you get the result you want to hear.

I could have saved them £200 million; soldiers shot civilians and shouldn't have.

They probably want the correct result to keep the peace process going, so maybe not a complete waste of money.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 PM

I disagree with your assessment. Many IRA members have now admitted, they were there, and they had firearms. Now, whether or not they fired first, is up for debate. However, the fact the IRA was present that day and the fact they were armed, is NOT under debate. The Para's fired, yes, and people died. Whether or not they were innocent? Only god knows...

Old 06-01-2010, 02:18 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,673,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I disagree with your assessment. Many IRA members have now admitted, they were there, and they had firearms. Now, whether or not they fired first, is up for debate. However, the fact the IRA was present that day and the fact they were armed, is NOT under debate. The Para's fired, yes, and people died. Whether or not they were innocent? Only god knows...
Agreed, the IRA are a sneaky bunch and like all terrorists they know how to use the media as a weapon in their favor.

The Parachute Regiment (like the Guards regiments and the Royal Marines) are an elite bunch on par with, if not better then the best troops in our army (the US Army). If they opened fire on that crowd then they had a very damn good reason to do so (ie: armed persons shooting at them). These guys were not 18 year old conscripts who had no idea what they were doing or why they were there, they are crack top notch troops as seen by their performance in the Falklands, both wars with Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 AM

I'm no military expert, but if you are an elite soldier and you come under fire, then the last thing you should be doing is firing into a crowd of civilians. I'm not an apologist for the IRA, but wrong is wrong.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:17 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,673,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
I'm no military expert, but if you are an elite soldier and you come under fire, then the last thing you should be doing is firing into a crowd of civilians. I'm not an apologist for the IRA, but wrong is wrong.
That's exactly my point - meaning that at least some members of the crowd were indeed armed.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 PM

"I'm no military expert"

And that, in and of itself, is all that needs to be said. However, having said that, look at it from a different point of view. YOU are the commander of a platoon of men. You orders are too hold a certain piece of ground/area. You and your men come under fire, from a crowd of people; some are armed, some are not. What do YOU do?

You open fire into the crowd. Plain and simple. Your job is to keep as many of your men/women alive as possible AND complete your mission. Everything else, including civilian casualties, are secondary. Civilian's dying, although unwanted, has happened in almost all major urban battles.

Its a great way to draw sympathy for your side and use the media in your favor. You mingle armed persons with civilians. When the civilians are killed, you scream bloody murder and you get positive press.

Look at modern history: Mogadishu, Somalia, 1993. Exactly what happened. Armed persons mixed themselves within the civlian population, believing the American's would not fire into the crowds. They were wrong and many civilian's were killed. Sad? Yes, however necessary.

Iraq War. The Iraqi's often put civilian's in military installations, to thwart bombing, etc of these targets. To a point, it worked.

War is hell. War sucks and will always suck. But, it is there. More has been accomplished through pure, raw, force, then any other way, combined. Right, wrong, or indifferent. I'd prefer to bargin from a position of superiority then not. Innocent civilian's die and that is bad; however, except for them, it is not the end of the world.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 AM

Now that the report has been published I stand by my comments.

None of the 14 dead was carrying a gun

No warnings were given.

No soldiers were under threat.

The soldiers were the first to open fire.

Many were shot in the back or waving handkerchiefs while helping the dying.

Soldiers committed perjury at the enquiry.

You don't need to be a military expert to know right from wrong.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 AM

11,586 posts, read 13,717,203 times
There's a word for what the occupation forces did on Bloody Sunday: MURDER.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM

15,902 posts, read 16,441,649 times
Can anyone think of another country that would spend all that money on such a report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History