Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,790 times

Advertisements

Hoover wasent bad, when the depression happend he was 9 months into his term. he was just there to take the blame. he was a good man. although alot of people never "forgave" him.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,118 times
Hoover's constant attacks on FDR invited retaliation. He tried to set himself up as a primary opponent of the New Deal and when you do that you become a target yourself.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Rosemary Woods was as loyal as they come, I don't think it bothered her in the least to do what she could to help her boss explain the missing 20 minute gap. .

Well, yeah, but you could also cite those slaves who held their masters in high esteem, without doing anything which rehabilitates slavery in any manner.

Whether or not Ms. Woods was willing/enthused in her cooperation, that does not alter the stinkpot morality of Nixon asking her to go out and make a complete joke of herself before the entire nation. It is compounded by the fact that it was such a ridiculously stupid plan, one which only served to intensify suspicions against Nixon, not alleviate them.

"I need you to lie for me" is one thing and "I need you to tell a ridiculous lie with zero credibility for which you will receive nationwide mockery" is another.

Plus I think that we are all aware of the dynamics taking place when a boss asks an employee to do something unethical...in the employee's mind it becomes "my ethics or my job."

Finally, we are talking about possible Federal charges aginst Ms. Woods which Nixon was asking her to risk. Jill Volmer, a lawyer and member of the Archie Cox special prosecutors team, was present on behalf of the special prosecutors when Ms. Woods conducted her demonstration. That means that she was lying to a Federal officer when she did her incredible stretching lady act. Lying to Federal investigator is a felony...ask Martha Stewart.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
when discussing the worst president ever I cannot believe the name of Ronald Reagan didn't come up!

Here is a man that ran for office because of the growing national debt~ and during his time in office the national debt went from almost 1 billion to almost 9 billion!

Talk about a failed policy!!!!

He also was going to clean up Washington~ not sell US weapons to Iran so he could give the money to terrorists!! GOT TO BE ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT polititions ever!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Well, yeah, but you could also cite those slaves who held their masters in high esteem, without doing anything which rehabilitates slavery in any manner.

Whether or not Ms. Woods was willing/enthused in her cooperation, that does not alter the stinkpot morality of Nixon asking her to go out and make a complete joke of herself before the entire nation. It is compounded by the fact that it was such a ridiculously stupid plan, one which only served to intensify suspicions against Nixon, not alleviate them.

"I need you to lie for me" is one thing and "I need you to tell a ridiculous lie with zero credibility for which you will receive nationwide mockery" is another.

Plus I think that we are all aware of the dynamics taking place when a boss asks an employee to do something unethical...in the employee's mind it becomes "my ethics or my job."

Finally, we are talking about possible Federal charges aginst Ms. Woods which Nixon was asking her to risk. Jill Volmer, a lawyer and member of the Archie Cox special prosecutors team, was present on behalf of the special prosecutors when Ms. Woods conducted her demonstration. That means that she was lying to a Federal officer when she did her incredible stretching lady act. Lying to Federal investigator is a felony...ask Martha Stewart.
Rosemary was not a slave but certainly it was a risk on her part to hang in there like she did at that late stage in the investigation. She did perform her plastic man routine just well enough to leave a shadow of a doubt as to weather one of those 8 whacks with the tape recorder could have been her, lol.

It's unbelievable how many people laid it on the line for Nixon and how many got sucked into the watergate scandal, many of whom went to prison. I feel the most sorry for James McCord, one of the older members of the break in team pushing 50 years old. They grabbed him from his position as security chief for Nixon's campaign to head the break in team, he was a family man facing the disgrace of being a burglar and having to do some serious time in prison. The money that was doled out to Hunt via Tony the bag man was not going to make everything OK for McCord. He is the one that finally put the finger on Dean & Magruder. He made a statement on the eve of sentencing to the judge, and broke the case wide open. Up to that point the false testimony of Magruder with Porter backing it up had contained the situation.

Liddy certainly was very incompetent but like Rosemary he was also quite loyal, offering to stand on a corner and be shot by Dean after the burglars were caught. John Mitchell was the only one that NEVER admitted anything and took it all to his grave in 1988. His political advisor, Fred Cheney Larue ( look up his unfortunate childhood hunting accident) was not quite able to convince Mitchell to reject the gemstone plan that Liddy had proposed. He had an interesting career, very shadowy type character as was Howard Hunt.

Mitchell had a hard time keeping his wife (Martha) quiet after the break in, while she was giving a phone interview with an AP reporter, Larue ripped the phone line out of the wall and called Mitchell. Mitchell then had her forcibly sedated and held incognito, she later died while he was in prison. Mitchell was the Attorney General and the one that made the call to go forward with the gemstone plan. He was the most to blame for Watergate, IMO. Theres no way Nixon would have fired him if he refused Liddy's plan.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:13 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
You can pick flaws from each and one of all the presidents. but they all did something good. there all unique, with there Idea's and decsion making. I picked 4 Presidents that arent very liked. based on my opinion.

1. Jimmy Carter
2. George W. Bush
3. James Buchanan
4. Richard Nixon

These are all good men and deserve a little more respect. my favorite one out of the bunch is probably Bush.

IMO his 1st term was really great. but his second was horrible. I do believe he has donated more money to Africa more than any president we ever had. that is a big plus in my book.

Jimmy was really bad.

Nixon was a scumbag

Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,374 times
Until George W. Bush came along, Ronald Reagan was the most profligate spender in our nation's history. Reagan famously campaigned under the slogan "Government is the problem not the solution." It had a nice ring to it, but, unfortunately, it was just campaign rhetoric. Under Reagan the Gross federal debt went from 900 billion to 2.7 trillion. A link follows:

mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=488

The waste, fraud and abuse of that era is legendary. The Pentagon and other agencies had an embarrassment of riches. When Reagan left, the government that he promised to reduce in size was larger than ever. Inexplicably, during a conversation in 2001, Dick Cheney interrupted a troubled treasury secretary Paul O'Neill with these words: "You know, Paul, Ronald Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Of course, that was a few years before the second largest economic crash in our history.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Until George W. Bush came along, Ronald Reagan was the most profligate spender in our nation's history. Reagan famously campaigned under the slogan "Government is the problem not the solution." It had a nice ring to it, but, unfortunately, it was just campaign rhetoric. Under Reagan the Gross federal debt went from 900 billion to 2.7 trillion. A link follows:

mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=488

The waste, fraud and abuse of that era is legendary. The Pentagon and other agencies had an embarrassment of riches. When Reagan left, the government that he promised to reduce in size was larger than ever. Inexplicably, during a conversation in 2001, Dick Cheney interrupted a troubled treasury secretary Paul O'Neill with these words: "You know, Paul, Ronald Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Of course, that was a few years before the second largest economic crash in our history.
I agree with some of what you say, though the reality is a bit more complex.

Looked at over time, the tendency to spend more than we have has been a creeping addiction that grew steadily worse, and took a big leap forward under Reagan. Though the current administration would surely make Reagan blush. It has never been worse than it is now.

I think Cheney's comment was a perfect example of having learned exactly the wrong lesson from Reagan's experience.

The political reality is that the American people want something for nothing. They want to be able to vote themselves benefits. The Democratic Party always espoused this program, and the Republicans opposed it. That's why they were the minority party for a long time.

Then, Reagan came along and offered it from a different angle. Politically, it was a huge success. Reagan helped make the Republicans the majority party for a time. We got lower taxes without making significant sacrifices in the services we demand from the government, at the price of a lot more debt. We also wholly bought into the illusion that this could continue indefinitely.

It remains to be seen how we go forward. We seem to have learned nothing from our economic collapse. When it comes to this issue, the differences between the two parties are mere window dressing, a difference in the constituencies to which they appeal but not in substance. Both parties, in one way or the other, promise benefits that we can't pay for, and they imply we don't have to pay for them.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 AM

380 posts, read 1,229,790 times
Why is Reagan always ranked between #8-#15 on the all time president list? liberals and conservatives always give him this ranking when surveyed. hoover is always between 34-38.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Hoover wasent bad, when the depression happend he was 9 months into his term. he was just there to take the blame. he was a good man. although alot of people never "forgave" him.
Yes, but Hoover did nothing about the depression.

It would be as if 9/11 happened, and President Bush ignored it, and felt that it would take care of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History