Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times

Advertisements

After being diagnosed with profound hearing loss, I abandoned the world of hi-end audio equipment about 20 years ago. I still have over a thousand CD's but they've all be converted to mp3's that I listen to exclusively on my iPod (anything else is pretty useless). So what is going on these days in the world of high end speakers, turntables and other such stuff that I used to labor over for hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
I think retro stuff is always in. I had my speakers rebuilt from the 70's, a pair of 12" Cerwin Vega's, basically just needed new cones. Ended up buying a NOS pair off ebay so I have 4 speaker cabinets. I stored my old tube type stereo in the garage, will set it up in the barn on the next house I buy. We bought a new Pioneer 6.1 for the house that does the job nice. I still insist on using a pair of the Cerwin Vega's with it thou.

I have close to a thousand old albums in vinyl that I want to store in the laptop, my wife laughs and says just download them.

Talk to any kids and they will think you are trying to say WiFi instead of HiFi.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
The hobby is still around though declining in numbers of people involved; not many young people are interested and seem to prefer ipods and such to hi-fi gear.

The so-called "high end " gear is often obscenely expensive but excellent sound can be found at a fraction of those prices; indeed I often hear relatively inexpensive systems that sound better than far more expensive ones. Nothing really new or earth shattering in electronics, speakers and LP gear. I still think the best speaker ever is the Altec Model 19 from 1976. And of course the old Quad ESL from 1957 still has it's fanatical following.

When I had a large house I was into large Altec and JBL horn systems but now I'm in a condo and use much smaller electrostatic speakers; IMO horns and stats have the best clarity. I use tube electronics but I'm not religious about that, much solid state stuff sounds great too.

I'm spinning an Anita O'Day-Oscar Peterson record right now.

What is new since you left the hobby is many hi-fi fans using lossless digital downloads and music servers but I'm not up on all that. I do download MP3s from Amazon onto a jump drive which I plug into my TV and then run that through the hi-fi. I use Pandora Radio too from my blu-ray machine which has a streaming video and audio feature. But IMO nothing sounds better than an RCA Living Stereo "shaded dog" or Mercury Living Presence LP.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 07-17-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I agree with you. I've gotten to where I use headphones nearly all of the time. I can listen at any volume I want at any time, and they sound better than almost any speaker system. The inner parts in music come through so well (transparency).

Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The hobby is still around though declining in numbers of people involved; not many young people are interested and seem to prefer ipods and such to hi-fi gear.
Nice set up!

I threw vinyl under the bus after detecting a pop in my second purchase audiophile recording of Keith Jarrett's Klohn Concert. No amount of anti-static inner liners, and cleaners could get that damned pop out. The next day I went all CD and never looked back.

My brother in-law, besides being addicted to conspicuous consumption went all tube and vinyl. Personally, I think that he is crazy since his hearing is going just like mine did and I know for a fact that he can't hear the upper register that his equipment can produce, even if his hearing was perfect.

Signed,

a Former Bose 901, Macintosh Amp and Denon player addict.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM

PS - I can't believe the hours that I wasted spent balancing a tone arm!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nice set up!

I threw vinyl under the bus after detecting a pop in my second purchase audiophile recording of Keith Jarrett's Klohn Concert. No amount of anti-static inner liners, and cleaners could get that damned pop out. The next day I went all CD and never looked back.

My brother in-law, besides being addicted to conspicuous consumption went all tube and vinyl. Personally, I think that he is crazy since his hearing is going just like mine did and I know for a fact that he can't hear the upper register that his equipment can produce, even if his hearing was perfect.

Signed,

a Former Bose 901, Macintosh Amp and Denon player addict.
Same here back in 1986 a buddy was over and cleaned my turn table, he knocked the needle out - never seen again. He offered to buy me a new needle but I bought a CD player instead. I miss the pop and snap, did not hear it much as I kept the vinyl clean.

Have to get a USB turn table so I can record some of those old records, some of them are not available.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,930 times
does anyone know anything about the cerwin vega d-5

Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
After being diagnosed with profound hearing loss, I abandoned the world of hi-end audio equipment about 20 years ago. I still have over a thousand CD's but they've all be converted to mp3's that I listen to exclusively on my iPod (anything else is pretty useless). So what is going on these days in the world of high end speakers, turntables and other such stuff that I used to labor over for hours?
You're talking about digging for dinosaurs.

Everything is digital these days - no more analog. Completely different world. Dolby 7.1 encoding is on the way. I'm rankly unsophisticated about Hi-Fi, but this post reminded me of something: I fired up my dad's old tube amp and turntable with some old (I think) Pioneer speakers a couple of years ago and the sound quality was very impressive. He's had his old vinyl well protected and I swear that his Duane Allman stuff sounds better with vinyl and analog than I've ever heard it sound before.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
I'm still using my Sony turntable, JVC receiver and Polk S10 speakers (all circa 1976), and it all still sounds great. Vinyl forever! As long as it's in good shape, I think it sounds better than CDs/mp3s, although they are more convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation