Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I prefer pier, bridge and jettie fishing, but you have to time it just right, otherwise it can get crowded and the best spots are taken by the regulars. On the east coast I like fishing for flounder, stripers, porgies, and whatever else is biting. Can't tell you how many lures I've lost to bluefish and baby sharks.

Fishing in the East River of Governors Island years ago, we used to catch eels, Sea Robins, snappers, horseshoe crabs, sandshark etc. You never knew what was going to bite when fishing off the bottom.

Also enjoyed surf fishing along the California coast. Perch mostly.
I've lost quite a bit of skin off my fingers to bluefish as well. That species is extremely aggressive and they seem to be more angry about being hooked than frightened. The first one I ever caught was as a boy wadefishing in the surf around Galveston. It fought like hell and my father told me he thought it was a bluefish while it was still about 30' out. It took some wrangling, but I managed to get a grip on him with my left hand and tried to get the hook free with my right. As soon as my fingers touched his mouth he bit down as hard as he could. Those teeth are pretty nasty and he perforated my thumbnail. What an a-hole.

I ate his filets with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Bluefish is actually excellent meat but it doesn't seem to freeze well - gotta eat it when you catch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I've lost quite a bit of skin off my fingers to bluefish as well. That species is extremely aggressive and they seem to be more angry about being hooked than frightened. The first one I ever caught was as a boy wadefishing in the surf around Galveston. It fought like hell and my father told me he thought it was a bluefish while it was still about 30' out. It took some wrangling, but I managed to get a grip on him with my left hand and tried to get the hook free with my right. As soon as my fingers touched his mouth he bit down as hard as he could. Those teeth are pretty nasty and he perforated my thumbnail. What an a-hole.

I ate his filets with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Bluefish is actually excellent meat but it doesn't seem to freeze well - gotta eat it when you catch it.
Yes, a lot of people don't realize how dangerous a wriggling Bluefish is once you've pulled it up and attempt to unhook them. I recall a seasoned boat mate getting the tip of his finger nipped off by one on a party boat. Nasty stuff.

I've never eaten Bluefish but I heard the same thing as you mentioned, that you must eat it fresh, or it doesn't cook like other fish. I think a friend of mine had mentioned that the texture is different, not as moist as most other fish.

Are you still down in Galveston? Has the fishing been affected by the oil leak or is the oil east of where you're located?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
If the bluefish you guys are talking about is the same as here on the Chesapeake it's an extremely oily fish. The typical way to eat it here is smoked. My neighbor does a lot of it.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Yes, a lot of people don't realize how dangerous a wriggling Bluefish is once you've pulled it up and attempt to unhook them. I recall a seasoned boat mate getting the tip of his finger nipped off by one on a party boat. Nasty stuff.

I've never eaten Bluefish but I heard the same thing as you mentioned, that you must eat it fresh, or it doesn't cook like other fish. I think a friend of mine had mentioned that the texture is different, not as moist as most other fish.

Are you still down in Galveston? Has the fishing been affected by the oil leak or is the oil east of where you're located?
Galveston has been under a consumption advisory for a few years. It seems that a study found high levels of PCB's in speckled trout and catfish. I haven't been fishing in Galveston in a fairly long time, but I haven't seen any oil at any of my holes on the Texas Coast.

My cousin caught a nice stringer in East Bay a couple of weeks ago, however, and he hooked a pair of 7 1/2 pound specks around Texas City in June. I don't think there has been much impact here other than shrimp prices.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
When it comes to saltwater fishing, do you prefer trolling or bottom fishing (marlin, wahoo, tuna, etc. vs snapper, grouper, sea bass, etc.)? Or do you have a preference?
Uh, that would be (D)- All of the above. The changes in seasons and water temps also change the availability of various specie.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If the bluefish you guys are talking about is the same as here on the Chesapeake it's an extremely oily fish. The typical way to eat it here is smoked. My neighbor does a lot of it.
I like to cook bluefish on broiler plates. Get the plates up to temperature, salt and pepper the fish, prepare some rosemary-garlic-lemon-butter, generously baste the hot plate, add the fish, generously baste the fish, shut the oven door. Wait. Eat.

Pretty tasty.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I always prefer shallow water ;light tackle fishing from a boat and preferably wading over any other.I have doen alol types but bait fishing deep water does not interest me any more really.Site fishing is by far my favorite .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation