Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times

Advertisements

I'm a lifelong sewer of basics... curtains, pillows, designer pattern wool suits as long as the design is not too complicated (e.g., pleats, many pattern pieces) & classic straight lines (much faster to complete a suit in a weekend). I can do more complex sewing or buttonholes/zippers, I just never liked sewing (I do it only to have quality fabrics/pieces inexpensively... can't afford a designer wool suit, but I can afford to make one) & struggle with it due to my impatience, so avoid anything beyond simple, fast creations.

I had a great, basic $200 Singer portable which I left with a friend when I recently moved cross country. I need a new machine & have found some $25 machines on overstock.com. I really just need a machine now to tailor the hems/sleeves of my entire wardrobe, which is quite substantial... I'm guessing 50 pieces would need alterations. I have a lot of east coast, cold weather long skirts/dresses & long sleeves & need to shorten them to west coast, sunny weather lengths. Many of the hems will be hand stitched, but, some pieces with slight spandex would do well to be machine hemmed. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad with machines such as this:

Shark Mini Portable Dress Maker Sewing Machine | Overstock.com

I did read some reviews & people said they were good as a starter machine, but I don't know in which context they mean... a young teen who sews 1-2 sachets & tiny pillows of potpourri... someone who makes little crafts & potholders on rare occasion... or someone who is doing Simplicity & Vogue Easy patterns? The only negative was someone mentioned one such cheapie had no backstitch, which will have to be a workaround, but, I could manage if the machine is sturdy, doesn't fall over easily & the thread doesn't snag & break every 30 stitches so I'm continually rethreading.

I also saw a $14 machine at CVS Pharmacy this week... was tempted to try it out (it looks sturdier than you'd think & it can be returned), but, since it weighs as much as a can of soda, I'm guessing it would be more hassle than it's worth. Some things are too good to be believed.

BTW, I'm trying to go with the least expensive machine as once this wardrobe is altered, I won't do much sewing at all... just fallen hems & perhaps an occasional seat cushion/curtain.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 PM

Just bumping... wanted to purchase a machine this upcoming week. Any good/bad comments on the low cost machines? Thanks!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
You get what you pay for and the cheapie sewing machines are pretty much ^%$# and wouldn't handle what you need them for imho. Have you thought about checking out Craigslist for your area?

I got a decent used Brother with 22 stitches for $25 a few months back. Looked like it had hardly been used. You get a lot of people that think they're going to get into sewing and don't, then it just sits there until they decide to sell it off.

The only low cost machine I've had that was any good/use was one of those handheld jobs, which is great for hemming curtains etc in situ.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You get what you pay for and the cheapie sewing machines are pretty much ^%$# and wouldn't handle what you need them for imho.
You're no doubt right. It just occurred to me that if I got a Singer on sale for less than $100, I'm still saving a ton of money by doing the alterations myself... best to get something I could use again when needed and/or sell myself for $25 if I have to leave it behind.

Quote:
Have you thought about checking out Craigslist for your area?
I did but those offering machines were 20-mi+ away & I'm currently carless. But, I'm thinking I'll purchase one online in the $100 range... before that, it wouldn't hurt to try CL again... someone nearby might be selling.

Thank you so much for replying & your input.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You get what you pay for and the cheapie sewing machines are pretty much ^%$# and wouldn't handle what you need them for imho. Have you thought about checking out Craigslist for your area?

I got a decent used Brother with 22 stitches for $25 a few months back. Looked like it had hardly been used. You get a lot of people that think they're going to get into sewing and don't, then it just sits there until they decide to sell it off.

The only low cost machine I've had that was any good/use was one of those handheld jobs, which is great for hemming curtains etc in situ.
I had one of those handheld things - worthless.

The small, cheap machines are made for small, occasional repairs. I wouldn't trust it for full size hems. Do they even come apart so they can be cleaned and oiled?

I have a $125 Singer. Before this I had a $125 Brother for 8 years. The Brother made MANY kid's pajamas, a few adult pjs, some adult clothes, lots of baby clothes, three quilts, many Halloween costumes (including two made of fake fur - teddy bears), some kid's clothes and hemming and adding name tapes to lots of sailor's uniforms. It saw pretty heavy use, and I only had to have it professionally serviced after the teddy bear costumes ($25). The only reason I didn't buy another Brother was because when I went to have it serviced again, they wanted $85 - whereas to have a Singer serviced was $25. So I switched.

Good luck and have fun with your new machine.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 AM

113 posts, read 193,285 times
I don't have that particular one but I do have 2 others and they are junk. I had purchased one myself and then received one as a gift from my daughter. She didn't know that I had already purchased one. I tried several times to use them for a simple project like hemming some flannel pjs that it wouldn't matter how they looked and I ended up doing them by hand. I'll admit that I don't much about sewing but I know enough to do a simple hem and I don't think those little machines are any good at all.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
My little handheld is a Singer Sewquick, maybe it works decently for those small jobs because it IS a Singer lol

Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

I had that exact same one Opyelie - maybe it was 'operator error', but it never worked well for me.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Thank you again everyone for your replies. I thought as much on the cheapies. I was hoping one might be passable as I'll be doing a bunch of tailoring, then likely won't use the machine much afterwards. Normally, I use my machine 1-2 times/yr for an accumulated pile of clothes which needs mending that cannot be done by hand. I only drag the machine from the closet because the pile is in my way, keeps tipping over & I spot something in the pile I haven't worn in months & want to wear again.

I don't pattern sew like I used to in my 20's when I wanted designer clothing at low prices... of course fabric was far cheaper back then & I made many a wool suit for $20. I've actually priced dress patterns & the fancy fabric I'd need for them in recent years & it turned out to be twice the cost of what I could buy in a decent store... plus, I wouldn't have another project. I'm a great basic sewer, an okay intermediate sewer, but the only thing I ever liked about it was saving $$, particularly on curtains, throw pillows. I used to cringe when people would buy cheasy curtains/drapes for more than what I could sew with upscale fabrics.

It all comes down to common sense & I guess if those $25 machines worked, everyone would own them rather than the $$ ones. It would just pain me less to leave it behind (& they're easier to pack in a car & move if I brought it with me). Ultimately, $100 for a small Singer is still saving me tons of $$ in alterations with the local tailor, so I'll have to go with that.

SSK... it doesn't surprise me that it's more $$ to service a Brother. Their typewritters/printers used to be made in Japan... not sure where everything is made today, but Singer's an old American standby & probably fewer can fix the Brothers. I'll stay with Singer, too.

This was very helpful. Thank you all for your input. I'll be buying online a basic Singer this week! Time to tackle the pile...

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Remember to watch for the sales and sign up for the fabric stores flyers. If you have patience and can control yourself (not exactly my strong point in a craft store) and buy it all either on sale or 40% with the coupons and $1 patterns, it could add up to great savings.

I usually wait to buy the expensive material with a coupon. But then I go into the store and it's already on sale for 50% off. And so I buy that and wander around looking for something else to use my 40% off coupon on.

And end up spending $50 in notions that I never knew existed, but now cannot live another day without and cannot find or even remember that I have them when I get around to finishing that project 2 years later. Which is why they send those flyers out in the first place - to reel suckers like me in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation