Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,852 times

Advertisements

After reading a few of these threads I begin wondering what everyone's definition of a hobby is. Does video games qualify? Or surfing the internet? If so, why? What should qualify something as a hobby? Is it enough to be something you like to do? Does something you spend hours doing qualify it as a hobby--like spending hours watching TV? Seems like video games would be in that category. Should you get something out of it (learning to dance, etc.) or have something to show for the time spent to qualify? Just curious - seems like the definition might have changed over time.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:13 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
After reading a few of these threads I begin wondering what everyone's definition of a hobby is. Does video games qualify? Or surfing the internet? If so, why? What should qualify something as a hobby? Is it enough to be something you like to do? Does something you spend hours doing qualify it as a hobby--like spending hours watching TV? Seems like video games would be in that category. Should you get something out of it (learning to dance, etc.) or have something to show for the time spent to qualify? Just curious - seems like the definition might have changed over time.
According to the dictionary ..

Hobby
hob·by1 (hŏb'ē)

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Definition: pleasurable pastime
Antonyms: job, profession, vocation, work

IN BRIEF: Something that one likes to do for pleasure in ones spare time.

Seems the definition hasn't changed much at all.

Clear it up for you?

Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,945,113 times
Something that invariably costs money yet keeps me out of bars and jail.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:09 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
According to the dictionary ..

Hobby
hob·by1 (hŏb'ē)

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Definition: pleasurable pastime
Antonyms: job, profession, vocation, work

IN BRIEF: Something that one likes to do for pleasure in ones spare time.

Seems the definition hasn't changed much at all.

Clear it up for you?

Quite the ..... I doubt if just anything anyone does for pleasure is considered a hobby no matter what the dictionary says. I like to hike in my spare time but don't consider that a hobby. When I turn the TV on, I don't think of it as my hobby. The moderator told someone in another thread to stick to the topic because they were talking video games. Just playing video games doesn't seem to be a hobby but maybe if it included collecting. The dictionary is too broad and vague. Maybe Doc has it - spending money on something that keeps us out of bars

Old 07-30-2007, 02:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
The moderator told someone in another thread to stick to the topic because they were talking video games. Just playing video games doesn't seem to be a hobby but maybe if it included collecting.
Yes and that person in question told the Mod that was their hobby and the Mod said "sorry, this is what happens when you dont get enough sleep. Just ignore me here."

I'd say a hobby is what you call it, I consider watching old b-movies a hobby of mine, amongst the many. I talk to other like minded b-movie fans and seek out even more obscure films of that genera, so is it a hobby. Is hiking a hobby or a sport or are they one in the same? If your paid to hike then it's a profession, where if not I'd call it a hobby.

Saying what is a hobby is much like asking what is pretty?
A hobby is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:09 PM

184 posts, read 863,458 times
I think Hobbies are specific interests. Lots of people watch television, for instance but I don't necessarily call that a hobby. However, when they turn it on to watch their favorite team week after week or only watch "old movies", all the time, that to me is a hobby. We do lots of things in general (like walking from our house to our car or walking our dog) but I think it's the specific things we enjoy and persue that makes it a hobby (like hiking).

Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Something that invariably costs more money than I can afford to spend on it yet keeps me out of bars and jail.
Ditto, pretty much. Added a bit, though.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,993 times
A quick glance at the threads in the Hobby forum seems to indicate that a hobby is something to do with a gun. 80% of the threads are in some way related to firearms. It really should have its own subforum. Somebody posting about stamp collecting or knitting would be lost among all of the gun threads.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 PM

827 posts, read 1,673,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
A quick glance at the threads in the Hobby forum seems to indicate that a hobby is something to do with a gun. 80% of the threads are in some way related to firearms. It really should have its own subforum. Somebody posting about stamp collecting or knitting would be lost among all of the gun threads.
There is a lot of folks who do like guns [and there are a few very obssesive about them I think it's ADD] I like guns BUT it's not a hobby I'm into ham radio and scanners, as well as I like to cook and experiment with recipies [Many I have were my gramother's when she was a cook in a logging camp in Maine] I've been working on a cranberry cake attempting to get it just right [almost there but just not yet]

Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,886 times
If you enjoy doing it and don't make any money at it....it is a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.