U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:40 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,115,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I still use my JVC receiver and Sony turntable from 1976. Great stuff. The JVC receiver has a 7-band equalizer built in. I hate the new stuff with 'preset' tone settings to choose from. I also have two reel-to-reels, a Sony TC630D (ca. 1970) and a Teac 3440S (about 1976). I also have late-70s Polk S10 speakers with passive radiators.
I know what you mean about the equalizers. I got a pretty good Denon, but there's only so much tweaking I can do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,745,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

Personally, I think it is very cool to see the old Pioneer receivers and RTR's.
Seeing them is fine as long as you don't have to listen to them.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:21 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,115,300 times
Those old Pioneers were great. Affordable and they'd take a licking. Back in the 70s, all we wanted was loud with minimal distortion. Of course, we weren't sitting around twittering about the subtleties of the Chopin Nocturne, Op. 9. We couldn't afford to be audio snobs.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 PM

11,400 posts, read 47,312,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Those old Pioneers were great. Affordable and they'd take a licking. Back in the 70s, all we wanted was loud with minimal distortion. Of course, we weren't sitting around twittering about the subtleties of the Chopin Nocturne, Op. 9. We couldn't afford to be audio snobs.
Having spent many hundreds of hours listening to high end audio being demo'ed at a (friend's) shop ... it was painfully obvious that many people didn't give a rat's a** about recreating a musical performance. The shop had an extensive collection of records over a wide range of music to demo, and also invited people to come in and listen to their own favorite albums.

For many, it was only about noise, and the more ... the better. These folks were wasting their money to buy high end audio. Mid-Fi was adequate to do what they needed, and for most of them, they couldn't tell the difference between that and good equipment.

I have no issue with their perceptions of what constitutes music. They obviously buy that music, attend performances, support the artists, and purchase the equipment that recreates that listening experience for them.

But for some of us, we grew up with an entirely different expectation of what music sounds like. Especially for those of us who learned to play various acoustic instruments, know what they sound like in live performance, and enjoy music of a different genre ... mid-fi audio simply doesn't cut it.

I've bought (and sold or traded) a lot of high end gear through the years, and settled on certain pieces of eqiuipment from some manufacturers that please me. They were expensive when new, and are collectable even today ... although very affordable in today's marketplace. They're not for everybody ... especially high end turntables that are finicky to adjust, or tape recorders that require maintenance (especially the ones that were high end enough that they were the original recording master recorders).

For me, there's no snobbery about my equipment. Few of my neighbors know what it is and wouldn't know if it was any better than their alarm clock radio or walkman or radio in their car. I didn't buy it for the visual effect, or to have a lot of buttons and dials and knobs and equalizers and stuff ("bells and whistles") to play with to alter the sound of the recordings I've bought. For the most part, I've got an "on-off" switch, a balance control, an input selector, and a volume control; that's it ... simple, straigthforward, and capable of recreating a soundstage of acoustic instruments or vocals without electronics. And it's capable of doing that at very low listening volume, too, but one can still hear the details of the performance ... although some performances justify higher volumes and I can do that, too. But "loud" and "noisy" simply aren't what I listen to music for.

All said and done ... if the OP's level of equipment is what satisfies your audio & visual expectations and needs, then so be it. Enjoy. There's lots of quality choices out in the marketplace at reasonable cost ... some pieces more visually exciting than others, some with more "controls", some more durable than others with better build quality ... and I, for one ... won't be knocking your taste and choice in music. It's a very personal matter, and I know you probably won't like my choices ... so I'm not going to spend any time trying to tell you why you'll like what I like for equipment because it clearly doesn't fulfill your expectations or needs. By the same token, I'll not be needing your judgement about my equipment ....

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-27-2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,549,925 times
I have a Pioneer CLD-2070. It is a laserdisc/CD player. The audio quality is so clear it amazes me.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post

I was well into the hobby in the 1970s and used inexpensive American gear that was IMO better sounding than Pioneer and other Japanese mass market hi-fi. I built Dynakits. I listened to Mountain AND Chopin.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I have a Pioneer CLD-2070. It is a laserdisc/CD player. The audio quality is so clear it amazes me.

Some Pioneer LD players were noted for excellent video and sonics. I still use a CLD-D704 LD player once in awhile. IMO LD players and TVs were the best consumer products Pioneer made.

And then there are the TAD speakers and speaker drivers made by Pioneer which are topshelf. The TAD products are to a large degree reverse engineered "old school" JBL designed by a team led by Bart Locanthi, an ex JBL guy lured away by Pioneer.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM

5,815 posts, read 4,748,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Some Pioneer LD players were noted for excellent video and sonics. I still use a CLD-D704 LD player once in awhile. IMO LD players and TVs were the best consumer products Pioneer made.

And then there are the TAD speakers and speaker drivers made by Pioneer which are topshelf. The TAD products are to a large degree reverse engineered "old school" JBL designed by a team led by Bart Locanthi, an ex JBL guy lured away by Pioneer.
Got any Oscilloscopes?

I had a buddy in the navy who had one hooked up to his stereo. Innagaddadavida was perdy cool back then.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

I had a buddy in the navy who had one hooked up to his stereo. Innagaddadavida was perdy cool back then.

A few years ago I heard Inna Gada Da Vida through this DIY system that a fella I know put together. Quite impressive; effortless.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 PM

5,815 posts, read 4,748,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
A few years ago I heard Inna Gada Da Vida through this DIY system that a fella I know put together. Quite impressive; effortless.

The first time I heard Frak Zappa's 'Apostrophe' was on a Quadraphonic system. I was mesmerized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation