U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 AM

12,787 posts, read 18,642,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereorob View Post
i am married. yes, i have a wife and she puts up with this crap lol
Good for you. I scored a Pioneer SX-3000 at a thrift and felt the need to sneak it inside when my wife was busy.

I am still ways away from matching your collection.

I assume you know about AK?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,016 times
Very impressive collection I've ever seen. Great to see you shown pictures as well. If anyone is interested in McIntosh Labs, Gamut,Thorens Turntables, and LA Audio products I might be some help. Please feel free to email me and I able to ship out the products anywhere...

Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,525,096 times
Default audiophile anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It appears to be a collection of mediocre gear. If the object of the exercise is listening to music with as high a level of fidelity as possible I'd argue he's better off selling all that stuff and using the dough on a few pieces of excellent gear.
Spoken like the true Chicagoian! I think his purpose is collecting, not listening and not selling. How would you like to have one of your collections called mediocre gear? Get your head out...

Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,525,096 times
Default audiophile anyone?

Quote:
now music, i mostley listen to 60s psycedelic stuff, and alot of rap, i also like jazz, techno, electronic, and just about everything but opera and country.
Rob,

Now I better understand the #29 post you wrote. If you listen to psycedelic stuff and rap, how can you possibly tell what sounds good and what is just noise? Just wondering?

As far as old stuff, I still have a Marantz amp I use behind one of my computers. At one time I had a Roberts reel to reel, also had two Akai tape decks that were decks only. I had one of those 'computer controlled' Sharps cassette decks which was kinda neat until it wore out. Still have an 8 track recorder/playback machine. At one time I was really into stereo stuff, but anymore use mostly CD's and music in MP3 format. Mt wife and i used to do some DJ work for weddings, dances, etc., so we have lots of music. Yep, even some rap and hip-hop that I never have listened to. Thanks for sharing the photos of your stuff, it is interesting to see what other people used way back then.

I just went back to my storage room to look at that 8 track. It is an Akai CR-83D. I Googled it, and was surprised to see a photo. Darn, I can remember what a pain in the back side it was to record with that thing, since you can't back a tape up or rewind just a bit.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 04-18-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,729,550 times
I used to be an audiophile, and I mostly bought audiophile equipment in the 90's. Was satisfied with my gear and never upgraded in the 2000's. Then I got an ipod and was hooked on listing through my ipod, computer speakers, or ipod connected car stereo. I sometimes ipod to my audiphile stereo system too. In the 90's I was into home theater too, but nowadays I watch movies / Netflix on computer while I browse the internet. So funny nowadays... high end audiophile equipment / home theater setups aren't of interest to me anymore.

Also had a hobby of speaker building, but it got derailed. Only build a good subwoofer for my car that disappeared... Was building a Dynaudio / Scanspeak speaker system but my mom misplaced my drivers. Gave up on the idea of starting a Speaker company when I started seeing good enough cheap speakers at Best Buy. Like Insignia carbon fiber domed center soft domed tweeter ported speakers -- a pair for $89 at Best Buy.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:49 PM

8,729 posts, read 12,555,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I used to be an audiophile, and I mostly bought audiophile equipment in the 90's. Was satisfied with my gear and never upgraded in the 2000's. Then I got an ipod and was hooked on listing through my ipod, computer speakers, or ipod connected car stereo. I sometimes ipod to my audiphile stereo system too. In the 90's I was into home theater too, but nowadays I watch movies / Netflix on computer while I browse the internet. So funny nowadays... high end audiophile equipment / home theater setups aren't of interest to me anymore.

Also had a hobby of speaker building, but it got derailed. Only build a good subwoofer for my car that disappeared... Was building a Dynaudio / Scanspeak speaker system but my mom misplaced my drivers. Gave up on the idea of starting a Speaker company when I started seeing good enough cheap speakers at Best Buy. Like Insignia carbon fiber domed center soft domed tweeter ported speakers -- a pair for $89 at Best Buy.
The tweeters in my last creation are the Scanspeak HDS.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 PM

67 posts, read 132,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Good for you. I scored a Pioneer SX-3000 at a thrift and felt the need to sneak it inside when my wife was busy.

I am still ways away from matching your collection.

I assume you know about AK?

cool man! i have a sx-3000. its kind of an obscure model. i hope it works for you!

yes, i know about AK. i was banned from ak 6 months ago. they wont even tell me why. i was very active on that fourm for along time. i got totally shafted by ak, and i moved on.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
cool man! i have a sx-3000. its kind of an obscure model. i hope it works for you!

yes, i know about AK. i was banned from ak 6 months ago. they wont even tell me why. i was very active on that fourm for along time. i got totally shafted by ak, and i moved on.
AK has some peculiar posting rules. Every once in a while I see people joining PE from AK after getting kicked off for something pretty silly.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:20 PM

2,169 posts, read 2,619,416 times
Screw AK.

Seriously. Nowadays, a lot of folks who are fed up with their antics are going to Tapeheads.Net.

I still use plenty of old and new. I have both a CD-R, a standalone CD player capable of playing MP3 encoded discs. But I also have three 10" reel to reels, a three head cassette deck, and a Technics turntable in the system as well. Get the best of all worlds.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM

My lastest, some "garage speakers." A friend of mine gave me these old North American Sound "Mini-Monitors." I could have put new surrounds on the woofers, and I had a pair of NOS Philips tweeters, but why do all that to bring them back to spec, when you can do so much better with a much better design:

I took this:

to this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation