Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

I have an 'old style' thinner mattress. It has become impossible to find a higher quality sheet to fit them. Everyone is making the higher end sheets to fit the really thick mattresses. So I wonder if

1) a purchased fitted sheet could be cut down and all the elastic reattached? That leaves the mitered corners in place
or
2) maybe just fold the extra depth to the right fit and sew a hem, cut the elastic off, shorten the elastic and somehow sew on the hem...so it still stretches (not sure how that is done?
or
3) but a larger flat sheet (my bed is a full) and using my old sheet that fits as a pattern, make a new fitted sheet. Which would be hard I think with the mitered corners etc.

Would try to hire a seamstress to do this if I can (so far the tailors I've contacted only do clothes or just think it would be too hard, it is a big piece of material to wrestle).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM

68 posts, read 225,802 times
Hi,

I am a costume maker. Sounds like option 2 would be the most reasonable. I would definitely make sure to cut the elastic at one far end, not in the middle. You can cut off a little and test it as you go by using a safety pin to secure the cut end before you permanently stitch it.

Marc

Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Your best bet would be to buy straight fabric (with a coupon if you're looking to do this cheap) and some elastic. It's a lot cheaper and easier than buying a pre-made sheet, taking it apart, cutting it down, and re-doing it. Plus, you have more options as far as feel, design, and color. Here's a good guide. If you've got a friend with a machine, this entire process should take an hour at most. If you don't know anybody with a machine, you can get a relatively inexpensive one for about $50. Sure, it's a $50 investment, but your return on investment will come quickly since you won't be having to pay a professional nor buying "high end" sheets at a premium price.

Plus, if you get good with making sheets, you could always make extra ones to sell to other people with thin mattresses.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Your best bet would be to buy straight fabric (with a coupon if you're looking to do this cheap) and some elastic.
The widest dimension that fabric comes in is 60" A full sized mattress is 54" wide. So, in order for it to be wide enough to sew elastic onto, you would have to seam the material somewhere. I don't think that sleeping on a seam would be very comfortable.

To the OP: Can't you just TUCK under the excess? Can you use a flat sheet instead of a fitted sheet?

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
If the sheet has elastic all the way around, it should work to tuck the excess under the mattress. You can buy elastic straps to help the sheet stay in place: http://www.amazon.com/Grippers-Garte.../dp/B000BFWFJ8 I bought some for my mother because she won't buy a thicker mattress (doesn't want my dad to be too comfortable and sleep all the time now that he's retired) and her sheets kept coming off. They work well and they're easy to attach.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 PM

I can buy a queen flat to use which is what I would do because good percale sheet material isn't readily available anyway.

No I don't want to f*ck around with straps.

No you can't just tuck it in, it will start to work its way up as you toss and turn and you will end up with all sorts of extra sheet material bunched up under you as you try to sleep.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
This is a problem since sheets are getting bigger and bigger- up to 18-20 in pocket depth- which is ridiculous- so I feel your pain!

Of the options you listed I would go with " a larger flat sheet (my bed is a full) and using my old sheet that fits as a pattern, make a new fitted sheet. Which would be hard I think with the mitered corners etc. "

Just get a bigger sheet- queen should do it or king if need be- measure and cut it to enable you to sew elastic all the way around at the depth you need. It will just be like a big shower cap!! Don't worry about mitering it. The best fitted sheets have elastic all the way around- these stay on the bed tightly if properly fitted.

Don't know how many feet of elastic you can get at one time, so you may have to stitch it together at a few points. Hem a pocket around the edge of the cut sheet a little bigger than the elastic and leave the ends open. Then attach a very large safety pin to one end of the elastic. This will enable you to feed the elastic bit by bit through the pocket and then pull it out and sew together at the very end. This way you can fit the sheet as tightly as you need.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM

Someone pointed me to a lot of online directions for making crib sheets. Seems people do that all the time so am hoping I can find a seamstress that will do what is essentially a bigger version.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The widest dimension that fabric comes in is 60" A full sized mattress is 54" wide.
Actually, the widest dimension for fabric is not limited to 60". Widest I've personally bought is 120" - which is most likely what is used for making store-bought bed sheets. Though, perhaps they could also use the 90" for certain sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I can buy a queen flat to use which is what I would do because good percale sheet material isn't readily available anyway.
Cotton? Blended? Percale just described how the fibers are woven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
This is a problem since sheets are getting bigger and bigger- up to 18-20 in pocket depth- which is ridiculous- so I feel your pain!

Of the options you listed I would go with " a larger flat sheet (my bed is a full) and using my old sheet that fits as a pattern, make a new fitted sheet. Which would be hard I think with the mitered corners etc. "

Just get a bigger sheet- queen should do it or king if need be- measure and cut it to enable you to sew elastic all the way around at the depth you need. It will just be like a big shower cap!! Don't worry about mitering it. The best fitted sheets have elastic all the way around- these stay on the bed tightly if properly fitted.

Don't know how many feet of elastic you can get at one time, so you may have to stitch it together at a few points. Hem a pocket around the edge of the cut sheet a little bigger than the elastic and leave the ends open. Then attach a very large safety pin to one end of the elastic. This will enable you to feed the elastic bit by bit through the pocket and then pull it out and sew together at the very end. This way you can fit the sheet as tightly as you need.
If the OP is wanting specific fabric that he can already get as sheets, then getting a larger size and making a fitted sheet from there would definitely be best.

The guide I linked to would still work with that idea in mind - just that OP would be buying the fabric as a sheet instead of off the bolt. You can also get a large amount of elastic at fabric stores in one cut. Largest I've ever had to get was 20 yards... and I don't think beds are greater than 60 feet around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Someone pointed me to a lot of online directions for making crib sheets. Seems people do that all the time so am hoping I can find a seamstress that will do what is essentially a bigger version.
If you go to your nearest fabric stores and talk to some of the people working there, they might know somebody local to you that can help.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Fitted Sheet Clips.

Cheap solution. Find something else to sew.

Sheet Straps - Harriet Carter - Organizers > Bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation