U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 01:13 PM

108 posts, read 96,772 times

Advertisements

i have been playing pool for a few years. and wondered what makes a good cue stick good, and a bad one bad? is it the tip, the cue shaft, or what? i play with a old players cue with a sniper tip, and found i play alright. i know it is a cheap cue, but it seams to work. so if anyone can tell me,it would help. thank you very much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,348,745 times
Hmm, interesting post actually. I love billiards and ran a billiard room for 4 years when i was younger. I am no professional player by any means but years a go i played very well and shot in many tournaments for many years. I have 2 cues, a Viking Executice cue with a 13mm shaft and a metal to metal joint. Second cue i have is a Julio Stambolini with a 10 mm shaft and a metal to wood joint. Both have hard tips as I have found i like the feel better and they seem to last longer(for me anyway). My Viking has an Irish linen wrap , the Stambolini not exactly sure what material it is. The Irish linen wrap is nice has a great feel to it. The joint will make a difference how the cue is used, metal to metal is not a "breaking" cue as the impact of the break will actually damage the metal joint. Over time breaking with this type you will develop a metal "ting" sound, as the joint itself separates from the shaft and butt. I primarilly break with the metal to wood joint and thinner shaft. Shooting, I strictly prefer the feel of a fatter shaft like the 13mm. I hope this helps lol

Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,088,598 times
I just started playing pool again after a long time, I have tried a few different cues and know what I don't like, I played with a cutec I rented last night and hated it, nice streight cue but fiberglass sticks to your hand even with talc, my son has a graphite cue and I don't like it either. I just bought a limited edition Player cue but have'nt tried it yet, nice looking inlays and birdseye maple forearm but i'll let you know if it shoots well or not. If I wanted to spend more i'd get a McDermott, i've never heard anyone complain about them and they are guaranteed for life.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,088,598 times
A good cue doesn't have to cost alot but several things affect cost. A good quality cue has been constructed over time, starts out with a higher grade of maple (minimum A grade) that has been aged then turned over time to prevent warping and sealed with several coats of high grade automotive sealer. You can get a quality cue for between $50-$300 and it is a cue that will last for years and remain straight. To achieve a cue at this cost they mass produce a cue with less expensive more simplistic aesthetics.
Some of these companies are:
Players
Lucasi
Fury
Mcdermott
Viking

Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,241,399 times
To add to this, its the player holding it... Phil Mickelson could take my golf clubs sight unseen and crush the entire course of players at the local country club... me, I'm happy playing bogey golf ;~}

Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,319 times
Shoot with what feels the best--forget all the hype--its all about selling wood at high prices for the mfg companies anyway--gone thru just about every mass production made cue on the market- -you get what you pay for ---any cue in the hands of an hustler player spells doom-- ever seen a player pick a cue off the wallrack--never check anything but to see if it has a tip-chalk it-- then shoot lights out!! -the more expensive cues will turn heads for sure-- however its the skill at game end- that claims victory--or in the case of a hustler the $$

with that said-im no cue expert- pool teacher - semi or pro pool player--but i did stay at a Holliday Inn once--

my faviorite cue------Holliday Inn " Logo" Mop Handle--cut to 58-1/2 inches----Tailman pro tip 14mm--18" of Black double wrap electrical tape to give it that real custom look--kinda cheezeeeeeeeeeeee looking -but neverless a true custom cue!

--the total cost of this custom cue:

1 Holliday inn logo handle--free--it was leaned against a wall close to the room i was staying in

1 tube of superglue--$1.00
1 Tailman Tip-------$9.00
1 walmart hack saw--7.95
1 roll of electrical tap--$1.00

total------------------$18.95

The expression on other players looks --Before--during-and after a game win---------------"Priceless

Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,106,425 times
Unfortunately, price is relevant. I use a Muchi (about $410.), which is mid-range price, and the rounded tip makes the difference, chalked every shot. Those days are gone, but I made a bit of money playing at one time.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM

10 posts, read 32,560 times
Default not so sure about all this

My personal opinion is that the cost is a bunch of rubbish. When you spend money on a cue you are paying for the A.)Brand B.)Inlays and C.) Availability.

You can get pretty much any cue, but make sure you get a good shaft! Spend the 2 bills to get a predator Z shaft or a Mcdermott. look at these pool cues and try to find one for about $50, then check your connection (if its a 2 piece) and get a good shaft to go with it. It will play as good as a top level cue only downside is it might just not look as nice .

Good luck!

I shoot with a 5280 and a Predator Z shaft just FYI and its GREAT! I like it much better than my old Mcdermott.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 AM

3,949 posts, read 10,413,694 times
2 things i always considered, back in the day when i shot a lot at bars. One was balance; just like a baseball bat I needed the right amount of weight, but not just loaded all at the end. I think the other was really just confidence and attitude. If i was "on", as long as a bar stick would roll true on the table, I could hold my own with the players who would walk in and carefully take their "pride and joy" out of it's case. I could though notice how the tip felt when striking the balls at various angles.

I did like the golf club analogy; once i can master the basics of that game i'll spend more coin on the clubs. Same would go for pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation