U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,028,096 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Would anyone ever have any experience is breaking down/setting up a pool table?

My husband has come across a very nice pool table that he is bringing home (from another state). Short of renting a big moving truck, besides it very heavy, he is anticipating taking it apart to move it.
We are aware that there are companies that do this type of thing but they don't exist where we live.
This is a high end pool table, claw legs and all.
Anyone ever moved a pool table?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 08:50 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,834,298 times
I moved our Brunswick a few years ago. I called the dealer that we bought it from who have 30 years experience in the brand to break down the table. We kept most of the original boxes it came in and the ones we didn't have they gave us from other installations. So every piece when back in its original shipping box.

Then had the movers move it. Then called my new local dealer and had them put it back together. They even installed new cloth for the price of the cloth ,their price. Something to think about while it is being reassembled. If it needs it or you want a new color or type of cloth, fast slow etc.

While it cost a couple bucks, considering the table is forever kind of purchase it was worth it. And although it may look easy enough to bolt a table together, having watched these guys it is an art....

I believe Brunswick dealers will travel pretty far mine came over 100 miles. I am sure you could pack it well enough yourself, especially be careful with the rails wrap them in the old cloth and get a new cloth. And don't chip that slate. lol
gl!

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 09-29-2007 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-29-2007, 09:13 AM

I think this is going to be a challenge.

I'm not sure of the brand (will have to ask), but do know it on the "high" end of tables.

It is pretty much brand new. Hardly used. It is a freebee for us. The couple who bought it recently, are getting divorced. I'm sure they had a company set it up.

I live very rurally. I can't even find someone to come repair my oven. LOL
I have a feeling it will be quite the task to get someone to come here and set it up.

Probably best to "try" moving it in one piece, especially since the recreation room isn't built yet.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Getting a table through the door with the weight and whatever might be tough. I still think packing it in individual pieces and then getting it setup when you can is the way to go. I think my table all put together is like 800 lbs!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Getting a table through the door with the weight and whatever might be tough. I still think packing it in individual pieces and then getting it setup when you can is the way to go. I think my table all put together is like 800 lbs!
I do recall my husband saying that it was "Heavier than.....".

Do you know.... is the felt attached to the slate in some way, Or let me rephrase that : How is the felt attached to the slate?

This is going to be one interesting adventure.

I believe you are correct, How the h*ll they are they going to get it out of the house??? I have to admit, he is very handy and determined.

He will be moving it this weekend from the owners house to his mothers (he is out of state due to work at the moment). It won't be till Dec/Jan that he brings it home.
I am glad I will be experiencing this from a great distance, and when he brings it here, I'll find my way to the river ! LOL (And I'll probably still hear him cussing !)

Thanks BO, let me know if you have any more ideas!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 AM

On good tables the felt is tightly wrapped around the slate and not glued on lol. Then the rails and pockets secure the cloth to make it a tight fit they put the cloth down and secured each side one at the time with the rails and pockets. Maybe a dealer can walk you through some do and don'ts I know there are some other people on this forum who may know a lot more than I do thats why I had someone else do it - lol.

Do not take the cloth off the rails as they should already be put together.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
On good tables the felt is tightly wrapped around the slate and not glued on lol. Then the rails and pockets secure the cloth to make it a tight fit they put the cloth down and secured each side one at the time with the rails and pockets. Maybe a dealer can walk you through some do and don'ts I know there are some other people on this forum who may know a lot more than I do thats why I had someone else do it - lol.

Do not take the cloth off the rails as they should already be put together.
Thanks again ! I am taking everything in and relaying the info !

Keep it coming (if you got it) !

Old 10-07-2007, 07:06 PM

28,790 posts, read 45,560,595 times
Been there, done that. 20 years ago.

Purchased the table from a friend and had men from Sears (yes, Sears) set it up. When we moved I sold it and a friend and I broke it down and took it to the new owner. Sucker was heavy, but two of us got it done.

I'm sure they had a company set it up.

I think this is the key sentence. Since this couple had someone set it up you should call the same company and watch them break it down. Have them pack it for you and ask lots of questions about putting it back together. A lot of expertise for the cost of a service call. They might even know someone in your area that will put it back together for you...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 AM

I have been getting conflicting information.

My husband ( in another state) has been told that he can reuse the felt if it is in good condition.
I have been told that it is nearly impossible to reuse the felt because of the cut outs of the holes.
Any ideas on this ?
My husband got a quote of around $200 to disassemble and reassemble.
I got a quote of $600 for just assembly.
Companies are in 2 different states.

Here's a picture of the table.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM

Nice table! - I would recommend new cloth for a couple reasons. It will be easier for the installer, and if you run into problems then you have to take the best they can do with it, or wait and maybe spend more money IMO. You can get high quality cloth for 100-200 - if it is a Brunswick (looks like it) then you are not stuck with paying a premium (300+) for their cloth.

Also by the looks of the table it appears to be worth a fair amount more than new cloth and installation even at the high price. So look at it as you are getting the table correctly installed with new cloth which is the part (cloth) that will make it feel brand spanking new. Also you get to pick a color and type of cloth. I am trying to find the web site where I got my cloth for 100! Old New York City cloth maker from 100 years ago same family, which is more of an old style slower cloth. I'll PM when I find it.

Good luck -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation