U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
 
249 posts, read 284,025 times
Reputation: 109

Advertisements

Pretty cool find. And to think it isn't worth that much money! And it's much more infuriating that the British government will only give him a "share".

First-Time Treasure Hunter Discovers Trove of Roman-Era Gold Coins | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,068 posts, read 15,833,467 times
Reputation: 36962
Quote:
Originally Posted by salami-rules View Post
Pretty cool find. And to think it isn't worth that much money! And it's much more infuriating that the British government will only give him a "share".

First-Time Treasure Hunter Discovers Trove of Roman-Era Gold Coins | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Great post! Truly a treasure hunter's dream!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,876 posts, read 13,878,282 times
Reputation: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by salami-rules View Post
Pretty cool find. And to think it isn't worth that much money! And it's much more infuriating that the British government will only give him a "share".

First-Time Treasure Hunter Discovers Trove of Roman-Era Gold Coins | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

he should have kept his mouth shut, moved them and never ever tell the goverment. the goverment will tax a dead horse and already do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 AM
 
249 posts, read 284,025 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
he should have kept his mouth shut, moved them and never ever tell the goverment. the goverment will tax a dead horse and already do.
And this is England! They won't only tax you, but they'll tax you on money you don't have and you better pay or else...!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,876 posts, read 13,878,282 times
Reputation: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by salami-rules View Post
And this is England! They won't only tax you, but they'll tax you on money you don't have and you better pay or else...!

thats why you dont tell anyone, including the goverment. if the goverment doesnt know you have it, a bit hard to tax you on it.

seems more and more these days that goverment is becoming more and more like the goverments of the 16th and 17th centuries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 AM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 25,393,324 times
Reputation: 10663
Quote:
Originally Posted by salami-rules View Post
Pretty cool find. And to think it isn't worth that much money! And it's much more infuriating that the British government will only give him a "share".
Why is that infuriating? He didn't find them on his own property, he found them on someone elses' property, and he didn't even have permission or permit when he made the find. So by the laws of some countries (don't know about England) he would not be entitled to anything. They aren't his property. If he gets a share at all he's darned lucky, because he could have been arrested.

Furthermore, they're not just someone's buried stash from WWII, they are a bona fide archaeological find, and he destroyed historic and possibly important scientific evidence by digging them all up himself, rather than notifying the proper authorities and letting experts complete the dig.

This talk about hiding them from the government and about tax evasion is rubbish. The fellow already broke a couple of laws, and you are advocating far more serious crimes. This is why amateur treasure hunters have earned such a bad reputation in some circles.

Better you think of this hobby as a catch and release sport when historic artifacts are concerned, like fishing for endangered fish, where the prize is a photo and bragging rights.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,876 posts, read 13,878,282 times
Reputation: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Why is that infuriating? He didn't find them on his own property, he found them on someone elses' property, and he didn't even have permission or permit when he made the find. So by the laws of some countries (don't know about England) he would not be entitled to anything. They aren't his property. If he gets a share at all he's darned lucky, because he could have been arrested.

Furthermore, they're not just someone's buried stash from WWII, they are a bona fide archaeological find, and he destroyed historic and possibly important scientific evidence by digging them all up himself, rather than notifying the proper authorities and letting experts complete the dig.

This talk about hiding them from the government and about tax evasion is rubbish. The fellow already broke a couple of laws, and you are advocating far more serious crimes. This is why amateur treasure hunters have earned such a bad reputation in some circles.

Better you think of this hobby as a catch and release sport when historic artifacts are concerned, like fishing for endangered fish, where the prize is a photo and bragging rights.

tough doodoo, if you or the goverment dont like it, then just go away. if I would have found it on my land, I would not be telling anyone at all, even if it was an archaeological find.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top