Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

As for the hobby I have that is by far my biggest thing, which sometimes people have negative opinions about...

Fandom, friendship, and following of the band GWAR. I've seen them live 26 times (soon, 27) and I've traveled thousands of miles and spent thousands of dollars to go to their shows and events, I've been friends with them for about six years now. I have dozens of shirts, patches sewn on my purse and my bookbag, a hat I wear everywhere, stickers on my vehicle and other stuff...pretty much anything I want to emblazon as my own, has GWAR all over it. In recent years I've played a part in coordinating the fans into a more cohesive family of people and we organize to meet up at shows all over the US. Last August I flew to the GWARBQ in Richmond, VA and some 40 or so of us took over a hotel and spent the weekend hanging out. And I collect anything related to GWAR that I can, and there is LOTS of stuff out there. I have a piece of original art by the singer, a pair of fishnets he wore on tour, some vintage vinyl...etc. But my biggest investment in this hobby is traveling and accumulating shows. I've decided I want to try to see a concert in a state I've never visited on every tour they do. I love travel and I love these concerts and seeing these people...so whether the travel justifies the show or the show justifies the travel, I don't know anymore. Adventure! It's great.

The band is really weird and offensive (at least they try) so that's one obvious reason why people might have a hard time with it. But most of the offensive content is satirical in nature...it's rather like an elaborate inside joke, you either "get it" or you don't. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Railroad buffs such as myself have faced a closer scrutiny by police since 9-11-01.

I can relate to this. You would not believe the looks I get from people when they see me sitting/standing beside the tracks or wherever I might be waiting for a train. If I see someone with a tripod, video camera/camera I'm smart enough to figure out what they are doing. I get "checked on" by the local authorities more than enough. Once they see what I'm doing it's always a smile and "have a nice day".

I was able to experience a small slice of heaven on earth last week also known as Folkston, Ga. It felt so good to be able do some serious railfanning/benching with people who enjoy the hobby. What the people who are constantly staring at me don't realize is the fact that there are thousands of people who enjoy this hobby. Some towns like Folkston and Locust Grove, GA have even built railfanning platforms complete with grills, wifi, scanners, etc to cater to the people that come to their town for that very purpose.

Having said all that my longwinded answer is my railfanning hobby gets frowned upon by some...

Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I can relate to this. You would not believe the looks I get from people when they see me sitting/standing beside the tracks or wherever I might be waiting for a train. If I see someone with a tripod, video camera/camera I'm smart enough to figure out what they are doing. I get "checked on" by the local authorities more than enough. Once they see what I'm doing it's always a smile and "have a nice day".

I was able to experience a small slice of heaven on earth last week also known as Folkston, Ga. It felt so good to be able do some serious railfanning/benching with people who enjoy the hobby. What the people who are constantly staring at me don't realize is the fact that there are thousands of people who enjoy this hobby. Some towns like Folkston and Locust Grove, GA have even built railfanning platforms complete with grills, wifi, scanners, etc to cater to the people that come to their town for that very purpose.

Having said all that my longwinded answer is my railfanning hobby gets frowned upon by some...
Have you seen The Station Agent?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Have you seen The Station Agent?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the "station agent"?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,595 times
sex .

Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the "station agent"?
Film about an anti-social dwarf who inherits a RR station and those who try to befriend him.

Showng last week/end on IFC.

The Station Agent (2003) - IMDb

Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM

I collected WWI&II firearms which caused a stir sometimes among very politically left co-workers when this nugget of information was revealed regarding hobbies.

I enjoyed racing my non-DD car at the track into my early 40s and this was seen as unsuitable for someone not in their teens or early 20s. If I were into SCCA or similar that would be fine as participants there are generally from the monied class but not strip drag racing as that is seen as uncouth.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
See, there you go, is one of your eyebrows raised when you ask that question? Or is it a question prompted by genuine interest - LOL. I'll go for the latter <g>. Yes, it's termed 'Locksport', and in my retirement I find it a fascinating and engaging hobby, and I learn which locks are worth buying and which are not, and security ratings listed on some locks are a complete joke.
I worked at a nuke plant and we used Folger Adams keyed lockways for all important doors. Is that a difficult lock to pick? Does your hobby also include combination locks as in safes?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 AM

I'll have to check out the Station Agent, sounds interesting. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Martial arts are looked at a bit sideways by most people. Sure it isn't surprising to hear that the neighbors 10 year old takes karate but not very many adults take martial arts practice seriously so when I tell someone that I practice aikido very seriously it gets interesting reactions. Someone recently asked me what I do for fun and I said I like to swing sticks at peoples heads and throw them across the room....

I also have a horse and am very invested in horsemanship. This is another hobby that gets interesting reactions although not usually negative. But people have often remarked on "better" things I could do with my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation