U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 03:26 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,484,844 times

Advertisements

I had one as a kid, a 4'x8' HO layout layout in my bedroom and my step dad had good start on one too before he died from smoking. But my neighbor had a really nice full garage layout in N scale. San Diego has a huge model railroad club that has an exhibit at Balboa park. I think the S.D. club merged with the La Mesa club some years back if my memory serves me. Anyway the display is great and the public can wander through and watch the trains running. It makes me want to build a train layout at my house where the train can carry margaritas from the bar inside to the patio through a tunnel in the wall in the summertime !
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM

11,451 posts, read 17,796,263 times
Anything to do with margaritas sounds like a good plan to me.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 PM

Laying out on the patio drinking ritas and playing with model trains. It cant get much better than that unless you have dozens of cute young dancing girls running the trains for you and holding the glass for you as you sip the nectar from a straw, whilst turbaned servants fan you with palm fronds !!!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,748,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I had one as a kid, a 4'x8' HO layout layout in my bedroom and my step dad had good start on one too before he died from smoking. But my neighbor had a really nice full garage layout in N scale. San Diego has a huge model railroad club that has an exhibit at Balboa park. I think the S.D. club merged with the La Mesa club some years back if my memory serves me. Anyway the display is great and the public can wander through and watch the trains running. It makes me want to build a train layout at my house where the train can carry margaritas from the bar inside to the patio through a tunnel in the wall in the summertime !
I also had a 4x8 HO layout as a kid. As a matter of fact, I have one now, though it's not the same one as when I was a kid. The one I have now folds up so I can get it out of the way of other things, so it doesn't have much on it. I wish I had a lot of room for a big layout, so I would be able to run my big trains on it. With HO scale, you need a lot of room to run large engines (Challengers and Big Boys), and I just don't have the room right now. When I build my retirement home I plan to have a large basement for my hobbies. This is probably the one indoor hobby I have that requires the most space.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 PM

60,042 posts, read 78,565,659 times
SD/La Mesa layout is a hard act to follow.
good luck on your project.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 AM

It can be a very expensive hobby too.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM

20,098 posts, read 22,009,136 times
Quote:
Laying out on the patio drinking ritas and playing with model trains. It cant get much better than that unless you have dozens of cute young dancing girls running the trains for you and holding the glass for you as you sip the nectar from a straw, whilst turbaned servants fan you with palm fronds !!!
Now that's a retirement plan I can get behind.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:45 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,748,054 times
Quote:
It can be a very expensive hobby too.
That's for sure! I have purchased several HO steam locomotives that are sound and digital command control equipped over the last few years. Each of them cost well over $200.00. The digital command control setup cost about $250.00. New, high quality freight cars cost nearly $20.00 each for those in kit form, and assembled can exceed $30.00 each, and that's just for the mass produced units. Specialty items can run much higher.

All in all, I know I have thousands of dollars tied up in my model railroading equipment, as I do in several other hobbies. I guess it's just a matter of where my priorities are. At least I don't have to worry about not being able to use my trains due to the high gas prices as I would have to do if I bought ATVs or a boat instead.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 AM

I built an HO scale "house under construction" for my layout as a kid. It showed many of the phases of construction with the walls and roof partially showing the rafters and studs !

Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM

Location: If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun.
2,308 posts, read 5,686,460 times
Dont do trains but if I did Id want one of the outside setups. I saw one once. He had a whole landscaped country side. With hills and tunnels and bridges and rivers and towns. It was too kewl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation