Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 02:12 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

I used to kayak when I lived in florida but saw a gator get really up close and personal and that did me in . I don't live in florida anymore but am moving to south Carolina and I will take up the habit again but I will have to go by myself because husband wont get on the water at all cause he cant swim so he does not like boating of any kind .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM

350 posts, read 477,366 times
Kayaking the local river is one of my new year's resolutions.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
we have been kayaking the buffalo national river in arkansas for years. it is normally an early spring thru summer float, because of water levels. we started out with the sit in type and now all our kayaks are sit on tops. it is just easier to re-float and get back on your way after an event.

just google "buffalo national river" for pics of some of the most beautiful floating in the country. you might want to put this place on your bucket list, especially if you are into beautiful scenery and kayaking.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:50 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Went to Glacier NP this summer with my son. He went out for the afternoon. I kinda dinked around the lakes in Helena MT this summer too.
Wow!!
That looks beautiful!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
I'm a 5'6" 120 lb female

9' Dagger Zydeco or 10' Perception Tribute?

Would the Zydeco be any better handling wake? Would the tribute handle small rapids (like what you might find on the Peace River in Florida) any less efficiently? How much does being a foot longer and a couple inches narrower effect performance?

I just ask because the Zyd seems to be promoted as recreational and the Tribute as touring.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:36 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I only had mine out three times last summer. Looking to get a new kayak this spring. Keep my starter for friends or anyone who wants to try kayaking.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That looks like a good fish your friend caught there Jambo. I'd be nervous fishing in a kayak, what if a big fish is hooked and it drags you out to sea?? LOL

Kayaks are fun and now is a good time to buy a used one football45013. Keep looking on craigslist you might get lucky, we did.
This nearly happened to me the first (and only) time I tried kayak fishing. Here in Mayport we have some wicked reefs that make shore fishing almost impossible because you always snag the line and it gets cut. So I figured I could finally get out beyond the reefs and catch some good fish when I got a kayak. Well I did and dropped my bait down right past the reef and within a minute my line went very tight and I was sure I once again snagged the reef. Until the "reef" moved about ten feet (perpendicular to the current). I tried to reel "it" in until the bow of my kayak met the water line. Then I realized I was 40 feet from the shore in high current in black water full of sharks. So I cut the line and high tailed it back to shore.

One cool thing though I did get up close and personal with a sea turtle that snorted water at me.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:00 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
This nearly happened to me the first (and only) time I tried kayak fishing. Here in Mayport we have some wicked reefs that make shore fishing almost impossible because you always snag the line and it gets cut. So I figured I could finally get out beyond the reefs and catch some good fish when I got a kayak. Well I did and dropped my bait down right past the reef and within a minute my line went very tight and I was sure I once again snagged the reef. Until the "reef" moved about ten feet (perpendicular to the current). I tried to reel "it" in until the bow of my kayak met the water line. Then I realized I was 40 feet from the shore in high current in black water full of sharks. So I cut the line and high tailed it back to shore.

One cool thing though I did get up close and personal with a sea turtle that snorted water at me.

YIKES! Good story though.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:06 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I'm a 5'6" 120 lb female

9' Dagger Zydeco or 10' Perception Tribute?

Would the Zydeco be any better handling wake? Would the tribute handle small rapids (like what you might find on the Peace River in Florida) any less efficiently? How much does being a foot longer and a couple inches narrower effect performance?

I just ask because the Zyd seems to be promoted as recreational and the Tribute as touring.

I don't know the difference between the 2 kayaks you mention but usually being longer and narrower equals an easier paddle. Of course being narrower might make it more tippy. Some beginner kayaks have keels built in which make them more stable but a bit slower to turn. My first kayak if I remember the name right was a Wilderness perception. About 8' long, wide and it had a keel and I went everywhere in it, ocean, bays, rivers and lakes. It was fun.
Keep in mind the longer you go the heavier it gets and the harder it is to carry and store when not in use.

If you could try before you buy that would be the best.

Good luck

Old 01-03-2015, 04:06 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Default kayak

Stick with Dagger but regardless you must have either a molded rudder or
like mine a drop down to navigate properly . These kayaks without either
a channeled bottom, or no rudder are junk and very difficult to maneuver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation