Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 02:12 PM

10,195 posts, read 6,264,283 times

Advertisements

I started ice skating at the age of 5 back in the 50s. No helmets, double blades, or anything. I got on the ice and just went around the rink, not holding on. People approaching my Dad asking how LONG I had been skating. Few months? Coaches asked if they could coach me. No, Dad said.

My own kids were born in the late 70s and early 80s. They started ice skating at 4 and 5 years old. Although double blade skates were around at that time, I started them on single blade skates. They did not fall down or hold on.

My younger daugher was the first girl to play on the local JV Boys HS Ice Hockey team back in the 90s. She played College Women Ice Hockey, and still plays pick up hockey on Men's Teams.

She gave birth to a son in May. He is very advanced physically. She is saying she wants to put him on the ice as young as possible. His Dad, who never played any sports growing up, is in a panic over this. Athlete Mom pushing son? Besides playing Ice Hockey, she also played Soccer, Softball, and Field Hockey on school teams. Her husband never did.

My Grandson seems to want to "get physical" at a very young age, as did his mother. Since we have a family history of sports, and in particular ice skating, what is wrong with letting his Mom take him ice skating when he is still very young? I know people today are very afraid of injuries in young children, e.g. heading balls in soccer, but why not? We would never have any athletes at all now, or in the past, if their parents were terrified of them getting hurt. Excuse me, but even a ballerina can get hurt!

Moderators. If you feel this subject belongs on the Parenting discussion, please switch it. I did not know where to put it.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-10-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 04:17 PM

22,363 posts, read 47,346,670 times
And your question is?

Old 10-10-2014, 04:54 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,402,478 times
Yup!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 AM

192 posts, read 402,545 times
You said your grandson was only born in May, I'll bet once his Dad sees what a rough and tumble kid he is by age 3-4 his view may be more open. Also when kids skate these days they are often required to wear helmets and around here the lessons are on closed ice to help keep them protected from others while they get their feel of it. I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. I'll bet as he gets older and sees people around him doing some of these activities he will want to try them and everyone can judge from there. Just be careful not to alienate your son-in-law by encouraging the kid too much behind his back or taking him to do things without him knowing.

You're right though about injuries, I have seen some pretty serious injuries from dance classes as well as karate and sports. Heck, people get seriously hurt just tripping on the sidewalk (and not necessarily one that is damaged, just a misstep) so there definitely can be such a thing as being too cautious.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 AM

2,525 posts, read 3,076,280 times
Crazed ice-skating enthusiast, here.
Get that boy on the ice! (Err, as soon as he's ready, of course.)
I learned at age 58 and I can't tell you how much I envy little kids who fall and get right back up again. They have no fear! Plus, they have much less of a trip down!
Ice-skating is one of the greatest feelings of all time.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 AM

2,525 posts, read 3,076,280 times
Hey, that was my 666th post! Too bad it wasn't in the Religion section.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:09 AM

13,660 posts, read 12,320,193 times
Let him skate, or at least try it. Put a helmet on if they are so worried. Little kids are at SUCH lower risk of injury than adolescents when it comes to running around. falling, etc... As far as skating goes, the only injuries they have to worry about is falling back and hitting their noggin. He might fall on a knee or elbow and have a few tears, but thats about the extent of it. Seriously, when was the last time you heard about a kindergartner pulling his hamstring or twisting his back? Working as a skate guard I saw kids as young as two or three on skates with their parents holding them up and tottling along, but generally four is about when they are able to get up and locomote on their own.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,263,353 times
I see the same thing happening with my sister and her 4 year old. Our side, we were always getting our hands dirty and scraping our knees and playing with go karts among a hundred other things, with or without engines. His side, never did anything like that except things like Basketball and Football. She wants to get the kid a dirt bike and the father thinks thats absolutely insane. The father is slowly easing up, the 4 year old is very interested when Im messing around with the mini bike or working on my car or working on my R/C planes. Just wait until I want to take him snowboarding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation