Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

I would imagine most people own and fly these remote control copters because they are fun to fly and make a great camera platform for photographers, to just have a kneejerk reaction that they all need to be shot down is going to have you replacing many of these devices as owners sue for damages..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvH2f-AewX8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher-Brad View Post
Keep in mind that shooting at a drone is considered a charge of felony vandalism in many states, since these flying machines usually cost over $1,000.

Thus, you're looking at 6 months in jail minimum for shooting at something that has every legal right to fly over your property.

Also, try to keep in mind that many enterprising drone owners are starting to equip their machines with weapons that can shoot back at you!

What you say here....that's why (I think) the public hates drones so much.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:40 PM

760 posts, read 768,771 times
Just wait till one of those larger ones fails and falls from a height and hits someone or some vehicle windshield and causes an accident, they are a lawsuit waiting to happen.
These will inevitably fail, either the electronics or battery will suddenly fail and whammo- it falls like a stone.

The noise they make also won't be welcome in residential neighborhoods any more than chainsaws are.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher-Brad View Post
Probably the dumbest thing I ever read on this discussion board. Congrats on that!

Regardless of what you think, you are NOT allowed to shoot at anything that flies over your property. You can't randomly shoot at police helicopters and Medevac helicopters and private planes that fly over your house. That also means you are NOT allowed to shoot at a drone flying over your property, unless it is endangering life and limb.

Hell, you can't even shoot at birds flying over your property unless they are a game animal and it's the proper season and you have a hunting license. I think farmers can shoot animals if they have proof the critters are causing crop damage. Otherwise, you will get ARRESTED for randomly shooting at birds flying over your property and be charged with endangering wildlife or poaching.

Drones are here to stay, and idiots who shoot at them will be sharing cell time with drug dealers and rapists at the county lockup.

Facts are facts.
Your argument is a spurious one, because MedVac and police helicopters are operating in the public good. Further, there are a host of regulations about how high they and private planes must fly.

So just because the law has not caught up with technology doesn't make you right. And while vandalizing the things are a crime, so is disturbing the peace and invasion of privacy. Facts are facts.

Hey, I don't advocate whipping out a twelve-gauge and blasting one out of the sky. But the real offending idiots are the hobbyists who think their toys are not subject to good manners or the respect for the privacy and peace of others. I mean, heck, I just played the video on post #91 and my wife, reading on the sofa, looked up and said, "My God, that's annoying." So imagine the reaction when you're flying that over the neighborhood.

In that sense, you no more have a right to be flying a drone over my property than you do to stroll through my back yard or drive across my front lawn. Private property is private property. And if the thing runs out of power and lands in my backyard, you do not have the right to retrieve it, regardless of how much it's worth.

So wait for it to happen. A whole new slew of statutes are going to come out to restrict nitwits who think they can fly their drones anywhere they damned well please.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-21-2015 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 05:14 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Your argument is a spurious one, because MedVac and police helicopters are operating in the public good. Further, there are a host of regulations about how high they and private planes must fly.

So just because the law has not caught up with technology doesn't make you right. And while vandalizing the things are a crime, so is disturbing the peace and invasion of privacy. Facts are facts.

Hey, I don't advocate whipping out a twelve-gauge and blasting one out of the sky. But the real offending idiots are the hobbyists who think their toys are not subject to good manners or the respect for the privacy and peace of others. I mean, heck, I just played the video on post #91 and my wife, reading on the sofa, looked up and said, "My God, that's annoying." So imagine the reaction when you're flying that over the neighborhood.

In that sense, you no more have a right to be flying a drone over my property than you do to stroll through my back yard or drive across my front lawn. Private property is private property. And if the thing runs out of power and lands in my backyard, you do not have the right to retrieve it, regardless of how much it's worth.

So wait for it to happen. A whole new slew of statutes are going to come out to restrict nitwits who think they can fly their drones anywhere they damned well please.
Great post, and unfortunately it appears some operators really feel that they don't need to heed private property rights. Property owners do 'own' the usable and enjoyable airspace above them and aircraft have to operate above a certain envelope. I think it is wholly irresponsible for people to think they can do 'whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want'. It illustrates their lack of intelligence.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-21-2015 at 05:43 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Great post, and unfortunately it appears some operators really feel that they don't need to heed private property rights. Property owners do 'own' the usable and enjoyable airspace above them and aircraft have to operate above a certain envelope. I think it is wholly irresponsible for people to think they can do 'whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want'. It really illustrates their lack of intelligence, really.
I think it illustrates their self-centeredness.

Here's the thing. I don't hate drones per se, any more than I hate motorcycles or weed eaters or leaf blowers. It's not the device itself I hate, it's when it's used in a way that's inconsiderate of others. I mean, if you rev your motorcycle in your garage repeatedly while you work on it, you're running afoul of the noise ordinances in most cities. If you get up at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning and start running your yard equipment, the same is true.

If you are using your drone in a public park in a way that's not disturbing the peace of others, knock yourself out. If you're using it on your own property, that's fine, too. But when you're buzzing it fifty feet over my property or, worse, using it to take photographs of what goes on in my backyard, then we have a serious problem.

And that's the thing. Every time there's a new technology, there are the yahoos who run out and abuse it--and think that because there's no law yet, they can do whatever they please.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:42 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
I think it illustrates their self-centeredness.

Here's the thing. I don't hate drones per se, any more than I hate motorcycles or weed eaters or leaf blowers. It's not the device itself I hate, it's when it's used in a way that's inconsiderate of others. I mean, if you rev your motorcycle in your garage repeatedly while you work on it, you're running afoul of the noise ordinances in most cities. If you get up at 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning and start running your yard equipment, the same is true.

If you are using your drone in a public park in a way that's not disturbing the peace of others, knock yourself out. If you're using it on your own property, that's fine, too. But when you're buzzing it fifty feet over my property or, worse, using it to take photographs of what goes on in my backyard, then we have a serious problem.

And that's the thing. Every time there's a new technology, there are the yahoos who run out and abuse it--and think that because there's no law yet, they can do whatever they please.
That's my sentiments exactly.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
There will always be 1000 times more injuries and damage from things falling from fire escapes and balconies like pots and planters and glasses than will ever happen with drones. Shall we outlaw things outside the windows of apartments?

And, don't flatter yourselves. No one wants a photo of anything in your backyard unless Kate Upton happens to be visiting.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
There will always be 1000 times more injuries and damage from things falling from fire escapes and balconies like pots and planters and glasses than will ever happen with drones. Shall we outlaw things outside the windows of apartments?

And, don't flatter yourselves. No one wants a photo of anything in your backyard unless Kate Upton happens to be visiting.
Surely you cannot be anywhere close to that naive. A drone with a camera is an ideal way to scout a location before a burglary. I guarantee you that, right now, somebody's already figured that out.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Surely you cannot be anywhere close to that naive. A drone with a camera is an ideal way to scout a location before a burglary. I guarantee you that, right now, somebody's already figured that out.
Living in a tourist destination I see lots of people with cameras all the time, are they all plotting a burglary or some nefarious deed?.
All the RC copters i've seen so far have been out in the same open areas that people fly RC airplanes and kites IMO if you see one hanging around your bedroom window by all means take it out but to just have a kneejerk reaction they all must go is somewhat irrational.,as for the noise? get 10ft away from the things and you wont hear em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation