Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:59 PM

218 posts, read 336,925 times

Advertisements

I have a toy quad myself and only fly in open fields.
For me they are just toys like other toys that can fly.

I know technology will improve but we are not there yet.

New GoPro 4 Black Destroyed...in 4k! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
This thread is not making me like drones any more than I did before reading it. Quite the opposite, in fact. Next people will be flying their drones using Google glass. When one of those folks ends up getting shot, there will be little sympathy for him.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:30 PM

245 posts, read 712,225 times
I usually fly mine in the wilderness and mountains. Had to recover from a tree once, but I still like the landscape views from above. Next best thing to hopping on a helicopter.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher-Brad View Post
Keep in mind that shooting at a drone is considered a charge of felony vandalism in many states, since these flying machines usually cost over $1,000.

Thus, you're looking at 6 months in jail minimum for shooting at something that has every legal right to fly over your property.

Also, try to keep in mind that many enterprising drone owners are starting to equip their machines with weapons that can shoot back at you!

You just answered your own original question...

Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
They will need to make "air highways" for them so they are not flying over people, streets could be used for this purpose. Reason is one of those things are heavy enough to kill or cause serious damage to a person.

Another thing is regarding the airspace issue over a person's house, if for some reason a drone has to buzz by at a close range; I do not think many people will be fond of these things flying by all of the time if they happen to be in an area where they need to come in close for what ever reason. Plus the mere fact people expect, either through law or implied, that they do have some sort of control over the air above their house to a certain extent, it is really an issue that has not been addressed through laws due to the lack of need to. I am sure people will want protection from someone parking a drone outside their window 24/7.

The laws have not caught up with the whole privacy aspect, as of now, if I see one hovering outside my condo balcony, I will assume some idiot is trying to spy on me, I will just attempt to catch it or maybe shoot it with a paintball gun, I do not really care about the law at that point, so legalities is a moot point. Another law issue is when one crashes on someone's property; there will also need to be a way to track who it belongs to as well as insurance requirements.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that shooting at a drone is considered a charge of felony vandalism in many states, since these flying machines usually cost over $1,000.

Thus, you're looking at 6 months in jail minimum for shooting at something that has every legal right to fly over your property.

Also, try to keep in mind that many enterprising drone owners are starting to equip their machines with weapons that can shoot back at you!

So? I will take one down as well if flying very close to me. Do you peek in your neighbor's windows?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY.

I'm getting fed up with the retarded IQ of the American public. Go look at some basic specs and they will see a drone for retail sale is merely a flying toy with a camera attached. Sure as hell aint anything close to a $25 million drone with heat-seeking missiles attached.
Who cares? I don't want one buzzing my property.

Are you tired of your own IQ? You are part of the American public, no?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If it were simply an issue of GPS waypoints we'd have driverless cars already. A billion life and death decisions have to be made in real time by a real pilot to have any chance of navigating a pizza to your porch via a drone system!! Do you not realize this? Who is ignorant here, exactly? You millenials may have grown up with computers but that does not seem to have made you any more aware of their abilities than old fossils like myself that were working with some of the last CP/M machines (that is before Microsoft DOS, forget Windows) in wide use. AI ain't here yet and that is what you would need in addition to GPS to have fully autonomous drone flight. And the FAA won't allow that until YOU are as old as I am. Maybe older.

H
A pizza delivery guy in a car has as many decisons idriving is actually more involved than flying a toy. 1 ton vehicle vs 50lb toy.

I don't think a lot of people know what constitutes true AI.
How many logic gates would one need for a single intelligent though to occur? Logic gates will give way to numerous CPUs. A functioning robot - not a rolling playback voice - which can think for itself is decades away. Electronics cannot simulate human nurons and the multiple complexities the human mind can categorize, prioritize, process and store in real time.
The human mind multitasks. A PC time shares.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
It reminds us that big brother will be using them to spy on all of us as we move towards being a total police state in the US. Just one big industrial military complex as was warned many years ago. 9/11 made things move along nicely for the fear campaign. All this being said, drones represent more loss of our privacy. If they were just used for delivery or fun, then no one would hate them other than the horrible noise they make.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
I don't think most people do, they simply want one for their own also to play with... they'd make great mobile security devices. Say you like to jog / hike etc... in places that could be dangerous (whether by time or location). Having one equipped with something like sensors to detect rapidly approaching movement with warning indicators would be beneficial especially when so many I see jogging seem to be 'plugged' into some other device. Imagine the devices synched up so that 'distracted' jogger cannot be ambushed, bush wacked, sideswiped etc.... errantly. I think of a story about a woman jogging who after observing a car seemingly pass proceeded to jog into the trailer it was towing and being killed.

Imagine a quadcoptor that could deploy a netting type device to incapacitate an onrush of thugs? Especially those who like to descend upon public events and create havoc. Use the quadcopter(s) to stampede the youthful sheep into a non nuisance area and constrain them like the animals they behave as?

There have been many stories of recent festivals and neighborhood events which get out of hand from the youthful feral un-parented types in large numbers. Corral them up and hold them for penalties involved with their animal like behavior.

Deploy camera / small armament to be used to capture illegal activity and then detain remotely until the enforcement officer arrives? Imagine one that (taking a cue from the original Robocop) can take out a criminal permanently in the act and on the spot (depending on the crime)? Less need for long prolonged court cases (hard evidence) to convict - do the crime get the immediate judgment rendered. (I know this is fraught with possible abuse but the thought is interesting to consider. You know the sort of instant Dirty Harry Callahan dispensing of comic book justice which people love since the legal system seems to do everything to protect the criminal versus uncovering the truth about what happened in context. (Dreaming here I know)

Just some random ideas. I think the most opportunistic is as security for individuals as it could simply extend the perimeter of an individuals zone of 'comfort'. With simple defensive features like mace spray.

There's always someone who would likely use it for negative reasons but simply make the crime for using them in such manner extremely steep. Sort of like the 'use a gun to do the crime - automatically do the time' type proviso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation