Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:34 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times

Advertisements

Wow they had the same type of stuff in those alarm things Tantalust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 07:41 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Replaced a ceiling fan in the spare bedroom .
I have one that hums like crazy, driving me nuts, the whole room resonates.

What a PITA job, though...ohhhhh my aching arms.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:01 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Wow they had the same type of stuff in those alarm things Tantalust?
Yup, the old Ademco #612 Telephone Dialer was one:

At least the pinch-roller was external and replaceable. I still have a couple of these, they're still surprisingly reliable.

Newer compact solid state units run rings around these nowadays, but they're not nearly as much fun.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
About 4 years ago I barely hit a deer with my truck, and it just cracked the grill, hardly noticeable. The deer ran off and seemed unhurt. Eventually from heat and cold the crack opened up and the chrome started to peel off, so I decided to fix it last weekend. After removing it, I fixed the crack with epoxy, then sanded smooth, primed and painted it flat black. I like the look a lot better than the chrome.
Attached Thumbnails
What did ya last repair?-fullsizerender-1-.jpg  

Old 12-07-2016, 06:44 PM

154 posts, read 132,242 times
Just a week or so ago I re-nailed several shingles on my roof, we have 2 part shingles and the part underneath is only half way up. The roofer believed that you always nail above the line (which is just above the 2nd part of the shingle), when the instructions on the packaging clearly stated that on the slope of roof I have, you nail below the line, and more often. The roofer was back out twice, and the builder was out ounce to fix the problem, but the shingles were still falling off, the roofer never did it right, so now I'm fixing them myself so that I know they are done right.

This summer my weed eater stopped working, the motor would run but the head wasn't spinning, so I took it apart. There were 2 bevel gears in the head and they had stripped, but I noticed that if I shimmed them they would work again so I cleaned them up with a file and bought some washers. I was able to find the correct thickness and the weed eater works again.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:01 PM

Very good!

Tonight I fixed a VHS tape of a movie I got tonight.. (I didnt realise the tape was broken (It broke right @ the end of the clear leader tape))

I opened the shell and got completly aggravated as I cant ever get those 2 pieces in the back BACK IN once they come out..... (I dont know how they go in and when I open the shell,they usually fall out) I was almost going to gvie up and throw it away but then I remembered I had a blank cassette I could use the shell from.......

I carefully opened THAT SHELL and looked closely inside on how to remove the spools without those pieces coming out!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFYh1V-JmW81E-0grpXhsOky2hN9_emN__hm0gYsLXyEKWAeWWVtlLUfw (Those things behind the spools)

I opened the take up spool and took the old lead tape off and just clamped the play tape to the spool (The dark tape) ...... Finally got it back in,screwed together and I tried it and SHE WORKS WELL!!!!!!!!

This is the first vhs tape I have fixed properly!! (With those pieces still there (I didnt wanna lose this 1st release of this movie..... A very good/scary Paul Newman movie!))

Its rewarding!!!

Old 02-16-2017, 04:15 PM

I think I fixed the toilet next to my room

It was leaking and I always heard a hiss and water going into the tank..... Today I got fed up and wondered if the stopper was dirty and wasnt making a good seal....... I emptied the tank and cleaned the stopper,etc as good as I could....... I then let the tank refill and so far its not doing it!!! (knock on wood)

Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
The handle on one of our fave coffee cups. Gorilla glue to the rescue. We're hoping so anyways. Haven't put it
back in use yet. Maybe this weekend.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:35 PM

154 posts, read 132,242 times
I have some very inexpensive glass coffee mugs, and I decided to heat up some left over coffee in the microwave, there was about an inch in the cup. The next time I used the cup I filled it up and discovered it was leaking, just dripping out on the floor. I dumped it out and looked for the leak, there was a split all the way around just above where the handle joined at the bottom of the cup. The handle was holding the 2 sections of the cup together but not preventing it from leaking. Lesson, don't just heat a little liquid in a glass cup, it will heat the glass unevenly.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:53 PM

I just fixed one of my 8 tracks today...... I just got 1 I ordered (In the mail) and the pad was basically gone! (It didnt sound good @ all of course) -- I luckily had a new pad I took from another tape months ago I didnt want that is brand new so I opened the cartridge and put it in... (My first successful 8 track repair!!)

AUTHENTIC 1950S COLLECTION (rock and roll) I didnt want lose it!!

27 songs.....I think they are all 45s (Picture of a jukebox on the cartridge)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation