Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:45 PM

983 posts, read 992,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
InhertWA, what pattern are you using? (pattern company and number).
The pattern is Butterick, B4803. It was rated "very easy." I'm sure it is easy, I just don't know the lingo.

I'll try and find a class in the fall. Sewing shop said classes slow down in the summer because it's too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 05:15 PM

342 posts, read 437,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
The pattern is Butterick, B4803. It was rated "very easy." I'm sure it is easy, I just don't know the lingo.

I'll try and find a class in the fall. Sewing shop said classes slow down in the summer because it's too hot.
Now I see when you got confused. I looked up a line drawing for this pattern. Cut on fold means you lay fabric folded, cut folded fabric to the pattern piece, but you do not cut a fold line. In this case fold is center line of a front (or back) piece. Overlay is cut with one layer of fabric, there is no fold
It is good you started with a skirt. I always think it is the best start learning to sew with a skirt and woven fabrik (not knit)

Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 PM

37,052 posts, read 41,148,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Slow and steady .... once you get familiar with the new sewing machine you'll feel like you're in the groove as you sew, and will love that machine so much you won't have the slightest inclination to look over the fence. Just remember to oil it often (if it is a model that requires oil), that makes sewing incredibly easy, like butta.
What kinds of sewing projects do you have swirling around in your head? O you sewing clothing most of the time or gifts, quilts, crafts?
I recently bought a bundle of fat quarters in a variety of small, colorful 1940's repro prints for a baby blanket.
Can't wait. It'll be sew much fun to see it take shape.
Oh, you sly punster, you!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,474,343 times
Just FYI. There is a cool show called The Great British Sewing Bee, where home sewers compete by making garments. If you're new to sewing or thinking about learning, it's good to watch regular people (albeit advanced).

Here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne1pKTYCxyg

Old 07-16-2015, 05:03 AM

28,889 posts, read 30,214,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Just FYI. There is a cool show called The Great British Sewing Bee, where home sewers compete by making garments. If you're new to sewing or thinking about learning, it's good to watch regular people (albeit advanced).

Here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne1pKTYCxyg
thank you!!!

also, I believe if we googled what we wanted to learn how to sew, there are probably a lot of DIY's on YouTube, as well...

Old 07-17-2015, 10:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,499,149 times
Quote:
I believe if we googled what we wanted to learn how to sew, there are probably a lot of DIY's on YouTube, as well...
Yes! I have found so many great blogs and YouTube videos that show various ways to sew. I don't do well with patterns (for me I think it's a patience thing), so I love watching what others do and figuring out how to do something similar (sometimes altering based on what I want). There are some amazing ideas out there!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,149,206 times
Just yesterday I picked up a book at Barnes & Noble ($30.00) titled:

Stitch by Stitch: Learning to sew one project at a time.
So far it is well worth the price and I've only read through the first 15 pages.

I'm anxious to get through the rest of the book however that is on hold for about a month because we are moving into our new home in about 2 weeks and I have 1 dresser and one closet packed.......LOL

Last edited by CSD610; 07-29-2015 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: I changed the word "called" to "titled".

Old 07-30-2015, 04:51 AM

28,889 posts, read 30,214,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Just yesterday I picked up a book at Barnes & Noble ($30.00) titled:

Stitch by Stitch: Learning to sew one project at a time.
So far it is well worth the price and I've only read through the first 15 pages.

I'm anxious to get through the rest of the book however that is on hold for about a month because we are moving into our new home in about 2 weeks and I have 1 dresser and one closet packed.......LOL
Great....years ago, I bought a set of sewing books, they were awesome....took you threw projects step by step...but I don't know what happened to them?

Good for you....

Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 AM

50,237 posts, read 63,758,765 times
In the 1970s, there was a fad called "Stretch n Sew". There was even a store dedicated to holding classes and selling the stretchy material. All we stay at home moms were sewing our kids pjs and tee shirts. The clothing really felt comfortable, and fit well because of the stretch. Not sure how long it lasted.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,474,343 times
I wanted to add that there are a number of online sewing groups. I've been a member of this group for about 10 years: Sewing - Sewing Patterns & Sewing Machines. Butterick & Kwik Sew Patterns. Sewing Machine Reviews & Pattern Reviews. Sewing Classes at PatternReview.com

They review various patterns, you can see hundreds of finished garments, get reviews and they have a forum. It's very welcoming to newbies and you can get great advice from really experienced sewists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation