Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 10:24 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times

Advertisements

I guess this is where I can ask this question. I'm retired and I enjoy listing to music of all kinds and, over the years, I've had a couple stereo systems but nothing recently. I have no knowledge of current technology...Bluetooth, wireless this or that. I have some hearing loss and use hearing aids so it is silly to spend big bucks but I'd like something that would be throughout the house. I went to a big box store and they thought I should spend $1300 for some sort of wireless whole-house system. Not gonna happen. I have an intercom system that plays the radio through the house but they want $1000 to fix it so I can hook an mp3 player to it. The sound is crappy anyway....barely OK for talk radio. I think the house is wired for speakers but not sure how that works (wires sticking out high up on the wall).

I have a vinyl collection, CDs and a few old cassettes so I'd want a phonograph (victrola?) and not limited to something that only runs off my laptop. I could convert old cassettes to CDs. So what should I be looking at? Some sort of smallish bookshelf system, probably...? I figure a phonograph will run $150 or so. What else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 AM

167 posts, read 167,855 times
I have found an app called RDIO that has a database of 27 million songs. MY music is now my phone, a $30 bluetooth speaker a little larger than a can of soda, and $10/month RDIO. You can play any song from any album at anytime virtually anywhere, you can even download any song for offline play. They have a free version as well but you don't get the freedom to play specific songs or download. I have only found 1 artist that they did not have (but they got them within 3 months of my request). A victrola is cute but it skips a lot when you hook it to your lawnmower! This is a great way to discover new music as well. I have gotten so disgusted at radio (and the music I owned) that I hardly listen to it anymore. If you want a speaker with a little more OOOMMMFFF! I suggest a Jawbone Jambox ($299). I've experienced many BT speakers (not Bose) and this thing is amazing.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Hello my friend,

If you have records you should try to aquire a player and enjoy them!!!! (Nothing sounds as good)

Right now im listening to a streaming station online and it doesnt sound too good! (Its digital audio) -- If I could hear these same songs IN ANALOG,I would listen on my record player!! (Its 60s music so they are all in analog)

Good luck to you

Old 08-19-2015, 12:40 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Everything is digital nowadays, it seems. Music via PC or phone apps.
However, if you want to stay old school - definetly keep your vinyl and get a phonograph. Yup they still sell them. Then you need a mid-range receiver for the amplification (good one for < $300). Everything is dolby/home theater now but don't worry about that, they still play good old stereo. You will need a separate CD player (cheap <$100). Cassette players are obsolete, they are still out there, but tapes degrade, unless you really have a need for one I would just skip it.
Then of course you need some speakers - you can get a decent pair for $300 or $400.

Yeah you can get a descent entry-level bookshelf system for under $300 and that might be a good option but they won't come with a cassette or phono player but they will have speakers and maybe attached CD player. If so, make sure it has inputs for the phono, etc. Some of these newer systems are Bluetooth (wireless) compatable and work with smart phones. Just remember - MP3 is compressed music, you lose a bit in music quality. Probably won't make a difference on inexpensive systems however.

A good market for all these old high quality stereo components, because yeah kids don't care about sound quality anymore (it's all about compressed MP3's on there Iphones to listen to Lady Gaga, they don't care), I've found craigslist to be a good place for bargains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation