Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 02:40 PM

1,183 posts, read 699,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have not read through all the replies here but most definitely family history (genealogy) has got to be a very fast dying hobby.
Quite the opposite. Since the digitization of records, which expands every year, genealogy has been growing. Whole businesses, e.g. ancestry.com. exist to enable the hobby. More and more records are now available and used - more than an old time genealogist could ever hope to find due to the simple searching now enabled by character recognition. Not only can you figure out your great grandparents back four x easily - you can see what jobs they did, where they lived, whether they made the newspapers, were they awarded medals or discharged dishonorably, school discharges and admissions, work house records, ship manifests - it goes on and on. All from the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,474,306 times
When some clothes were too torn to repair I disassembled them by pulling out each thread, in some year of high school. I may be the only person who ever had that hobby.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,032,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Absolutely. I've been working on a 1/200 scale battleship since last fall; between the kit and an aftermarket detail set I'm into it over $500 bucks. It will probably take a year to finish too... definitely not kid's stuff!
If my math is correct, that would make it over four feet long? Wow. What ship? It would be interesting to see a photo of it when done.

When I was a kid, I was just in awe of U.S. naval power, I remember getting a (Revell?) plastic model of the Enterprise (1960's nuclear carrier, CVN 63?) for Christmas, I think the cost of the kit was ten bucks, it was about 3' long when finished. I remember fantasizing about putting it on water, filling it with firecrackers, matchheads, and flares, and sending it to Davy Jones' locker, but no doubt some darned adult put the kibosh on that idea. Unfortunately, I wasn't a very good model builder; too little patience, and too much glue were my downfalls.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM

31,343 posts, read 14,085,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are you kidding!?! According to a relatively recent Time Magazine article and ABC News "...genealogy is the second most popular hobby in the U.S. after gardening." Ancestry sold more than 1.4 million AncestryDNA kits (at $99 per kit) in the fourth quarter of 2016 alone. Genealogy is definitely NOT dying out. It's growing every year.
IMO that is very sad. Gardening I could go along with since you can grow some healthy food, but genealogy--- wow! What a waste of time.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 PM

32,772 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
IMO that is very sad. Gardening I could go along with since you can grow some healthy food, but genealogy--- wow! What a waste of time.
Posting on City-Data isn't sometimes a waste of time? Watching movies is a waste of time. Reading works of fiction is a waste of time.

I don't consider learning something a waste of time.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,932,880 times
I was going to say posting on city data but apparently for many this is not true.

Good grief people have time on their hands.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Perhaps in your case.....

Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Posting on City-Data isn't sometimes a waste of time? Watching movies is a waste of time. Reading works of fiction is a waste of time.

I don't consider learning something a waste of time.
Just drink Beer and live in PA.......

Old 02-21-2019, 11:37 PM

32,772 posts, read 35,991,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Just drink Beer and live in PA.......
I've done that.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:36 PM

431 posts, read 401,093 times
It is shocking how altruistic some Americans (Brits and Germans) are. I have experienced that a lot. And I always try to pay back as much as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation