Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 02:05 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ebay... there is actually a thriving online market for model stuff.
thanks for the suggestion but there is so much, some still together in boxes, some used for the wheels/tires, whatever, tools, etc. - way too much and I would know where to start. Too bad there aren't hobby shops around anymore that have such and I could just get someone to come look it over, make an offer, and haul it all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 02:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Remote-controlled aerial toys (which I imagine will get more side-swept by drones, it not banned).
Sewing (has been dying out for years). Yes, it was a necessity for many people, but there were always those who loved to make things.
Wood-working. I really do think this has dropped. I hardly know anyone who does it.
Photo Albums. I hate storing photos in media, so I still cling to hard copies and love putting them together.
A box of photos don't take much space. Holding one that was taken when your great grandmother was ten is not something you can repeat with a laptop screen. By all means, protect them by scanning your photos and back it up on a plug in and save it, then keep it added to. But physically touching something your ancestors held is something no image can do.

I would say wood working is alive and well. Consider the number of shows on DIY and HGTV and how popular they are. Decorating with wood objects is still an option which gets less and more popular but doesn't go away.

Sewing won't die, either. It may not be something everyone does, but its a practical hobby which you can easily show off. And of course what you make won't fall apart in a few months like commercially made clothes.

I'm all for banning Drones...

Old 02-01-2016, 03:12 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Dungeons and Dragons!

It once attracted millions of dungeon goers. I was one of them. Boy, was I proud when my group made me a 'Dungeon Master' as I had memorized copious quantities of rules, charts, modules etc.

After bringing fear to tens of thousands of parents over brain washing and fanstasy mixing with reality type concerns, it took took a nose dive when I was still in high school (mid to late 1980s). The cool kids dropped it like a hot potatoe.

My fellow nerds and I lingered on, but the steady decline continued as nerd group after nerd group folded. Today, it is almost extinct. But... I still have my old books, dice, lead figures and modules- somewhere.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:16 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Dungeons and Dragons!

It once attracted millions of avid players (I was one of them) and brought fear to tens of thousands of parents over brain washing and fanstasy mixing with reality type concerns.

Then, it took a nose dive when I was still in high school (mid to late 1980s). The cool kids dropped it like a hot potatoe. My fellow nerds and I lingered on, but even we saw a noticable and steady decline as group after group folded. Today, it is almost extinct. But... I still have my old books, dice, lead figures and modules- somewhere.
Check out your local comic shop. They very well might have a D&D night. I know ours does, unfortunately for me it is 30 minutes away and their D&D night is on a Wednesday.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:20 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
I had an Uncle who loved collecting Hubcaps from all the different manufacturers.
I remember riding with him in the car and he would make a sudden stop if he saw one laying in the ditch.
All the neighbors would take a walk around their cars every morning to see if all four were still there.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:21 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post

Paper dolls for little girls are not very popular anymore....
I loved Paper dolls when I was little.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Sewing won't die, either. It may not be something everyone does, but its a practical hobby which you can easily show off. And of course what you make won't fall apart in a few months like commercially made clothes.
I used to sew all the time. Made all my own clothes and many of my sons. Now--fabric stores are long gone, except for JoAnn's and I never cared for their fabric. I can't get into online fabric stores, there is something about needing to feel the fabric first. When fabric stores slowly went away it really discouraged me from sewing.

I rarely ever sew now. I miss it.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:32 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Check out your local comic shop. They very well might have a D&D night. I know ours does, unfortunately for me it is 30 minutes away and their D&D night is on a Wednesday.
Thanks. I recently went by two comic shops out of curiosity to see if there were any hard core hold outs. There were gamers at both, but the games had all changed (Flames of War, Magic, WarCraft type games and a host of others).

The owners told me that though they had heard vague rumors of D&D groups at other stores, everyone at their places was into the new stuff. One even invited me to try to start a D&D group at his store. But with children, my time for gaming is well... "game over".
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
How about aquariums, saltwater to be exact. Not too many local fish stores locally
Though aquarium slaes may have tanked elsewhere, they are floating well here in DFW. We are swimming in fish stores selling elaborate salt water set ups. I bought a used fresh water one for my children and I am amazed at the variety of customers getting fish netted fish in the stores.

Last edited by Cryptic; 02-01-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 03:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I used to sew all the time. Made all my own clothes and many of my sons. Now--fabric stores are long gone, except for JoAnn's and I never cared for their fabric. I can't get into online fabric stores, there is something about needing to feel the fabric first. When fabric stores slowly went away it really discouraged me from sewing.

I rarely ever sew now. I miss it.
I'm one of those people who must have a crochet project at all times, and I've taken to making a lot of stuff that way. The couch covers I made (along with the couch). I made a cover for my computer chair, the recliner and sweaters for all the dogs. I've also made a Dominion war style star trek uniform, and a jacket based on the tng red and black, lined with a thermal top and with a high collar. Very nice and warm, easy washing and unique.

But when I get the stuff room emptied (with stuff for working on the kitchen now) I'd love to set up a sewing area. I do often buy something then take it home and do a radical make over, doing the alterations by hand.

People still sew, but its the people who do it because they like sewing. The ones who don't buy cheap stuff and toss it when it dies. I've noticed that the quality of bought clothes that can be afforded is really bad and they are intended to be dumped quickly.

When I lived closer to science fiction conventions, I did some very special outfits, and some mostly period outfits for the fun of it, and to show it off. I'd have loved to be able to do the stuff the real costumers do.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I have to wonder about a lot of these hobbies and their 'true' reason why they are not as popular. My thought is that the cost of some of these hobbies have increased over time and the parent's won't buy them for the kids.
Not to dispute you since some hobbies have increased in cost tremendously. However for some things, times have not changed. As a kid, my parents couldn't afford my hobbies unless it was flying balsa wood airplanes. I'm sure I am not alone here.

In 1965 I dreamed of owning a used $300 Martin D18 acoustic guitar. Now that same $300 is equal to about $2,250 which will buy two used D18s. Then too, $2,250 is a whole lot easier for most of us to come up with these days than $300 was in 1965.

In 1965, my dad would have fallen over had I ask him if I could have a $300 guitar. Many times that was a month's wages for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation