Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 08:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited I just got some skates and all the protective gear. A group of ladies here do "Street Skate Saturday" and I've been longing to join. I skated a lot as a kiddo and have been on skates a couple times as an adult. I'm thinking I'll be back in shape in no time.
Any roller skaters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 12:10 PM

My first try with my new skates went well! Tomorrow is the street skate get-together. I'll be the one at the back of the socially distanced pack.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:49 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Used to skate years ago. Since I had to take my daughter to the rink and wait around for her lesson to finish or for her to practice, I ended up joining myself. Went to nationals twice in the Junior Olympic program. Even made finals one year.

Since my rink experience, I can't skate outdoors. Too used to the smooth wood floor and the bumps/cracks in sidewalks are a real hazard to me. Now that I'm retired, I thought about starting back up again. Maybe.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-20-2020, 02:26 PM

I'm a rink girl myself but these wheels are designed for street. The guy at the store said these wheels behave differently with different sized people.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:11 PM

Yeah, we had a set of softer, wider wheels for parades. But, parades are on streets and pretty smooth. Sidewalks scare me, especially when going backwards.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:31 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Great thread, OP! I LOVED roller skating as a kid -- when we lived at Edwards Air Force Base in '72-73, there was a roller rink on base and we used to go a couple of times a week (don't know if the rink is still there -- it was a LONG time ago!). I got pretty good although nowhere near as good as Volosong!

I bought roller skates from amazon a while ago but with my bad knees, I didn't get to use them. I am PLANNING for skating to be a major source of exercise for me once my 2nd knee is done (supposed to be Monday 5/4/20, but who knows). I still have to buy the kneepads and stuff though.

OP, have fun with the street skate tomorrow (what a great idea!!) -- please report back! In my neighborhood we have LOTS of walkers (with dogs and without) and I may join a group this summer but I will be on skates. It is FANTASTIC exercise -- not quite as good as running (which I hope to do again) but still great.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:35 PM

Karin, I'm at China Lake! Just down the road from Edwards.

The group that skates always meets at smooth street locations. I'm super vigilant about bumps and cracks.

Any kind of slope is new for me, too! Thank goodness for toe stops!

Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 PM

Sectionals. I think they were held in Bakersfield. Same place as the Gold Skate Exhibition/Competition. Other picture is during warm-ups at Nationals.

Like I said, it was a long time ago. The Junior Olympics was a three year program for people new to competition. If you went to Nationals the first year, you were bumped up to the next level the following year. If you go to nationals that second year, they you were bumped out of the JO program. The next year I competed in the regular open division, but it was too political and I quit competition after that and only focused on earning my dance and figure pins.

p.s. My home rink was in Ventura, at Skating Plus. Before I retired, I lived in Palmdale and went to Edwards often to watch the shuttle land, then to support ops for our instrument in the nose of one of NASA's ER-2 planes. That was before they moved the ER-2 operations from Edwards to the Palmdale Airport.
Attached Thumbnails
Roller Skating!-sectionals.gif   Roller Skating!-nationals-warmup.jpg  

Old 03-21-2020, 04:36 PM

Wow, volosong! Amazing! Awesome pictures!

I went, I skated, I conquered (my fear).
Had a blast.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:59 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wow, volosong! Amazing! Awesome pictures!
I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I went, I skated, I conquered (my fear).
Had a blast.
You make me want to put on my skates and skate around my house! Too cold for outside today, alas. But I will definitely be on them this summer, if my 2nd knee surgery happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation