Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,624,150 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here like to pan for gold or engage in any othe other activities in the thread title?

I've done a bit of gold panning (placer mining) and have recently become very interested in it. It costs very little to begin. The best pan on the market and a classifier (a sieve to remove rocks over 1/2'') costs under twenty dollars. There are some excellent books as well as at least several thousand youtube videos.

Wyoming hasn't produced much gold compared to the other western states, but we do have some along with most other states in various parts of the country. People have recovered gold from the beach sands of Lake Michigan at Chicago.

This is what I've bought so far along with a few books. These two items should arrive soon. I'll need to buy just a few more things to get started.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

Robot Check

I've learned how to prepare the gold pan and how to practice using steel BBs and lead shot. Bags of pannable paydirt are available all over. I found a youtube channel that's not only informative but really entertaining.

Here's a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYnsrvj8So
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,899,586 times
I've done gold panning here. Problem is most places have mining claims already, even if they've never been worked. I discovered if you gold pan in a state park you get yelled at pretty quickly by a park ranger. It's just fun to sit down at a stream and gold pan for the day.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:30 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,666,112 times
Has anyone ever found a gold coin in the US ?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:02 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,028,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Has anyone ever found a gold coin in the US ?
Sure!

However the smart ones never admit it for a news release...

Old 02-16-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Sure!

However the smart ones never admit it for a news release...
What ever became of those folks in California that found those cans of gold coins a couple of years ago ?
Did they get to keep them. Did anyone figure out where they came from ? I can't find any updates to that story but I sure do a hell of a lot of dreaming about it.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,028,228 times
Quote:
What ever became of those folks in California that found those cans of gold coins a couple of years ago ?
Did they get to keep them. Did anyone figure out where they came from ? I can't find any updates to that story but I sure do a hell of a lot of dreaming about it.
I'd be willing to bet that the government found a way to take it away from them.

You can almost guarantee it.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the government found a way to take it away from them.

You can almost guarantee it.
If they had dug it up I would say there was a chance it was somebody's life savings because a lot of people in the old days buried their money because they didn't trust banks. But these people said they found it on the surface in some weeds. That makes me think it was stolen a long time ago and the thief needed to stash it in a hurry. Either way...finders keepers, right ?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,382,034 times
Quote:
Here ya go
Buried gold coins found in California backyard go on sale - LA Times

Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I wouldn't mind having one of those Double Eagles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation