Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

I am planning a road trip from Seattle's SeaTac Airport down to San Diego, CA by way of Highway 101 and the Pacific Coast Highway in June/July 2017. I shall then be driving back up to SeaTac Airport by way of Death Valley, Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks and then back to SeaTac by way of the I-90.

I am allowing a time frame of 14 days to complete this proposed road trip ( 21st June until 5th July). Can anybody tell me that I'm allowing enough time to this trip and can anybody tell me of any interesting routes to take going through Nevada and Utah and then once I leave Yellowstone are there any interesting routes I could take to get back to SeaTac Airport instead of following the I-90 all the way back through Montana, Idaho and Washington State? Any information on driving this proposed route would be great fully appreciated. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 PM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Flynn View Post
I am planning a road trip from Seattle's SeaTac Airport down to San Diego, CA by way of Highway 101 and the Pacific Coast Highway in June/July 2017. I shall then be driving back up to SeaTac Airport by way of Death Valley, Yosemite and Yellowstone National Parks and then back to SeaTac by way of the I-90.

I am allowing a time frame of 14 days to complete this proposed road trip ( 21st June until 5th July). Can anybody tell me that I'm allowing enough time to this trip.
Google maps has that route at approximately 57 hours and 3,600 miles.

How many hours a day are you planning to drive?
How much non-driving time are you planning (hiking, winery tastings, zoo, visiting friends, etc.)?
Do you want side trips off that route? Leavenworth WA, Mt Rainier WA, etc.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:41 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim O'Flynn View Post

I am allowing a time frame of 14 days to complete this proposed road trip ( 21st June until 5th July). Can anybody tell me that I'm allowing enough time to this trip and can anybody tell me of any interesting routes to take going through Nevada and Utah and then once I leave Yellowstone are there any interesting routes I could take to get back to SeaTac Airport instead of following the I-90 all the way back through Montana, Idaho and Washington State? Any information on driving this proposed route would be great fully appreciated. Many thanks.
Probably not, unless all you want to do is drive through all those places without seeing much. I've spent a week in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, and another week in Yosemite. But we like to get out the car and hike the trails and see things most folks don't. I could see the trip from Seattle along the coast taking awhile. There's plenty to see and places to stop, not to mention side trips to Lassen and the Redwood parks. I would spend little time at Death Valley and see King's Canyon and Sequoia parks instead.

There's not much in northern Nevada and driving through it just feels much longer than it is. Idaho is a beautiful place with chains and chains of mountains, and I would go up and see Ketchum and Sun Valley, as well as the Coeur d'Alene area.

That time frame will also be the peak visiting time for those parks, so plan on sharing them with a lot of folks.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,532 times
Thanks for the replies.

I plan on driving around 250 to 275 miles a day during the trip and we plan to stay in b&b's or motels along the way. We do intend to stop and walk around during the day to stretch our legs, but we're of an age that wouldn't be up to taking long hikes along trails, etc. Any information on the availability of b&b's and motels along our proposed route would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
That's a very short timeframe to really be able to appreciate all that those locations offer. We have been to Yellowstone and several times, Yosemite many times and each requires 4-5 days to see and experience everything. Death Valley has a few interesting places such as Scotty's Castle but half a day is enough. If you are so limited, drive more hours in the dead zones like the Nevada desert, one of the most boring drives in the USA. We recently drove from the Seattle area to the San Francisco Bay area, then to Lake Tahoe, spent a week and returned the same way. We did about 7 hours driving at a time.
Coming back from Yellowstone on I90 is actually not a bad drive, fairly scenic but not much to do. I would stick to it and make the trip fast, again allowing more time at Yellowstone and perhaps other sites near it such as the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody, Wyoming, and Craters of the Moon National Monument in Arco, Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation